1994 Cali

Pay attention to the front of the engine, the cover has the electrics points and alternator.
The cover tends to get cracks and the gasket breaks up causing the bike to die for no apparent reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just my opinion but that is the ugliest looking guzzi i've ever seen, sorry:D

They did lots of uglier bikes than that...

Guzzi's - some are sublime. Many are ridiculous.

Seller states that it has carbs & is not injected. Does that ring true?

One thing is staring you in the face, but seemingly not so obvious to the seller. The right hand fork has worn beyond the hard chrome (it will be leaking oil) and will require replating/replacing. If the buyer does one fork then he/she should be doing both.
The fuel taps on these are a strange cable affair and are prone to seizing up so check it operates properly.
I would guess it will finish between £2200 and £2500 but it will require work, perhaps another £2-300 before it is ship shape.

Don't be afraid to give it some head, it should rev cleanly through all the gears and should pull top gear from as low as 20mph. This will certainly show up any clutch slip.
A clutch change in a shop will be over £400.00

Check for leakage/perishing/splits at the oil pipes beneath the fuel tank where the pipes drop down from the top tube.

A46GuzSplitBreatherHose.jpg

This is identical to a Cali III I had a few years back , albeit much cleaner than mine, judging by those pics anyway!
I would have one again in a blink of an eye if funds permitted. :thumb2

PS: Yes they run carbs , PHF30 iirc but a pair of 'Pumpers' is what you really want (PHF36)

In truth mine was a big of a dog under the bodywork and so rather than a restoration it became a patio project!

mini-AMGC3.jpg

B57ThePatioBuild.jpg

Timolgra:blast I knew that, I was asking if this was OK and not some bodge, that the electrics couldn't cope with.:p

JayC thank you.

I like the bits described as " Excellent" or "Good" quickly followed by "apart from etc etc "

Timolgra:blast I knew that, I was asking if this was OK and not some bodge, that the electrics couldn't cope with.:p

JayC thank you.

Were Moto Guzzi really to be trusted with fuel injection back in 1994?:eek:

A good mate of mine has one...it's parked up in the shed in disgust after finding it a piece of shite:D
DSC00447-XL.jpg

He also has this which will be back on the road...one day he assure me:augie
DSC00441-Small.jpg

Much as I enjoyed my brief dalliance with the exact same model, I'm amazed they've lasted this long.

:friday

Personally,
i think that's the best 'my first Guzzi' to go for. ;)
It's the same vintage as mine.
Must be one of the very last with carbs as they went to F.I. late 93 / early 94.
Quality control was fairly good at the time. deep spline clutch, paint, chrome and switchgear all acceptable.
Beware of Motoplat ignition if fitted - can be duff and hard to diagnose. Dump and replace with Dyna, as fitted to Harleys - but you may as well get the coils to match (though mine are off a Beetle :eek ) to match. Brilliant spark compared to Rita, motoplat and some other make i cant recall. I had a Rita on mine for a while. Oh - you have to retro fit a distributor 'tower (?) for a Dyna though.
This might sound a p.i.t.a. and comperlicated - but believe me - i'm electrophobic and i got the Dyna set up dead easy and perfect timing straight off. So it must be good. :D
It's got the later (weird) foot brake pedal - but i suspect that's a much better set up for 'brisk change of pace and direction'. Mine is literally a pain as you've to hover your foot over the pedal to use it in a hurry.
That saddle will stick to yer arse - and the vinyl peel off when you get off. :D
I'd use it a while and then get it reupholstered and covered - you'll know by then where your cheeks need support. :thumb
The panniers are the best i've ever had - like Tupperware for Bikes and very convenient.

Had mine from 5k miles to about 69k now. 13 years / though offroad for last year due to the gearbox only having 2 gears. Which sickens me.I miss it so much! :tears
It's the second gearbox too.
first went to 36k, was serviced and i found brassy swarf in 'box oil.
As they've a bad rep for eating a spring within that costs only a couple of quid, but requires stripdown to fix :mad: I replaced with rebuilt one from 'Reboot'.
When stripped, it wasn't the spring and no fault could be found. :banghead: :blast wtf? :nenau
ANYhow,
i love it. would only sell it for another Guzzi. It goes (all torque! :green gri:bounce1 ) it stops (Brembo, cast iron crude but effective ... in the dry.
- though in sustained rain, need written notice to clear the scum off before you'll even slow down :eek: . actually- that's probably easy to cure with a rebuild, new hose and the right pads. :nenau
oh - and it handles ridiculously well for the motorcycle equivalent of a baby elephant on sulphate. :green gri
i think mine has the 36m carbs:green gri. does high 40's/low 50's mpg regrardless of how i ride it. I do ride it hard at times - it's never failed to perform very well - given the right .. er, input. :D
Check the u.j. for lube and clunks. if on the way out you'll feel a vibe through r.h. footboard. the mileage is ripe for changing one that's not been looked after - easy to fix though - and ensure it stay healthy.

.... i'm waffling now aren't i? :confused:
See what you've done?! :rob
i'm shutting up now. :pullface

Choose well - but get one. ;)

Back
Top Bottom