Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Sidecars.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    A guy that I work with has just swapped his series 1 landrover for this.

I took it for a little spin and loved it. The box in the chair is for the dog as the little sod keeps jumping out at the lights.

More fun than a series 1

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Our 'K' project has been started......we have a mug friend with a bog standard K100 who wants a chair built.....

It'll be in the shed soon, and we've started collecting steel plate, box tubing and gate hinges in the big box of toy materials
    सत्यमेव जयते

Quote Originally Posted by ian6760 View Post
    A guy that I work with has just swapped his series 1 landrover for this.

I took it for a little spin and loved it. The box in the chair is for the dog as the little sod keeps jumping out at the lights.

From the pic it seems to be a Dnepr fitted with a 650 Ural engine.
    And from the side cutout it looks like a previously right hand sided sidecar body now mounted on the left...perhaps on an inverted sidecar frame with new lugs attached.
    Bicycle riders.....Darwin's very own speed bumps.

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistgrip View Post
    The outfit is the "Feng Boa" model,built by Horst Ulrich.http://www.hu-sidecars.de/
    YOIKS!!

Just had a good ol' browse on their site, and they do make a nice frame

A rather serious approach, building a rigid, one piece frame and bike subframe all in one......no points of adjustment, so I guess they used a trial one to set it up and get it spot on handling wise, then made the frames from that jig

Frame and cradle.subframe for a Katoomer 990

And one for an XT600

सत्यमेव जयते

Quote Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
    From the pic it seems to be a Dnepr fitted with a 650 Ural engine.
    And from the side cutout it looks like a previously right hand sided sidecar body now mounted on the left...perhaps on an inverted sidecar frame with new lugs attached.
    Oh really, I'll let him know. I don't think he knows what he’s got, it's badged up as a Dnepr and is running on an 85/86 "C reg" number plate.

I don't know if this narrows it down any more, but it has a selectable reverse gear and another lever that acts as a parking brake, and surprisingly no brakes on the side car. It's just passed an MOT though and he's happy with it.

Oh really, I'll let him know. I don't think he knows what he’s got, it's badged up as a Dnepr and is running on an 85/86 "C reg" number plate. .
    It`s almost certainly a Dnepr rolling chassis because of the squareish and deeper 'coffin' tank and the rounded profile mudguards....compared to the more rounded Ural tank with horizontal seam and Ural flat topped mudguards.
    If he checks the swingarm pivot area and the swing arm is inside the frame then it`s defo all Dnepr chassis/cycle parts because Ural swing arms are outside of the frame.

That sidecar is defo a former left hand one because of the cutout that I mentioned earlier (it should be a plain body on the bike side with a cutout only on the outer side).
    Also the small grabrail is only ever on the outside of the body.

I don't know if this narrows it down any more, but it has a selectable reverse gear and another lever that acts as a parking brake, and surprisingly no brakes on the side car. It's just passed an MOT though and he's happy with it.
    Nah,not really as most Urals post late 1980`s (after M66 model) have reverse gear and the push down lever for a parking brake.
    By the way,tell him he`s better off not using that parking brake idea because one day he WILL forget that it`s on and fry the brake shoes....also it doesn`t always hold the combo very well on hills.
    Best to park in reverse as this will hold the combo on a steep hill even with someone in the chair.

Those barrels and heads are definately Ural 650 looking at the photo as they`re oval compared to the blocky rectangular profile Dnepr ones.
    There`s one model of Dnepr (can`t remember if it`s MT-11 or MT-16) which was prone to the cast crank breaking and it`s likely someone`s put a Ural engine in it.

The lack of a sidecar brake is nothing unusual...neither of my Urals have one....it was an optional extra.

There`s nothing wrong with any of that,I just thought I`d add a bit of info based on my observations.

Thrower of cats at pigeons Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    It`s almost certainly a Dnepr rolling chassis because of the squareish and deeper 'coffin' tank and the rounded profile mudguards....compared to the more rounded Ural tank with horizontal seam and Ural flat topped mudguards.
    If he checks the swingarm pivot area and the swing arm is inside the frame then it`s defo all Dnepr chassis/cycle parts because Ural swing arms are outside of the frame.

That sidecar is defo a former left hand one because of the cutout that I mentioned earlier (it should be a plain body on the bike side with a cutout only on the outer side).
    Also the small grabrail is only ever on the outside of the body.

Nah,not really as most Urals post late 1980`s (after M66 model) have reverse gear and the push down lever for a parking brake.
    By the way,tell him he`s better off not using that parking brake idea because one day he WILL forget that it`s on and fry the brake shoes....also it doesn`t always hold the combo very well on hills.
    Best to park in reverse as this will hold the combo on a steep hill even with someone in the chair.

Those barrels and heads are definately Ural 650 looking at the photo as they`re oval compared to the blocky rectangular profile Dnepr ones.
    There`s one model of Dnepr (can`t remember if it`s MT-11 or MT-16) which was prone to the cast crank breaking and it`s likely someone`s put a Ural engine in it.

The lack of a sidecar brake is nothing unusual...neither of my Urals have one....it was an optional extra.

There`s nothing wrong with any of that,I just thought I`d add a bit of info based on my observations.

It would very probably have been imported into the UK and sold (as Tarak says) with the sidecar chassis inverted and the European sidecar as fitted (UK spec chairs didn't exist then iirc And I believe, are/were only made by Ural??). These machines where sold under the name of Neval. Neval also produced various modified versions including a BMW R80 engine conversion (though it's unlikely that the Ural motor fitted is original, though today possibly a wiser choice with the current spares market) to make them more appealing to the UK buyers.

Val.
    You know!?, it's the people who live in the land that always seem to make it more beautiful than it already appears.

Rear Stab Vest Only .... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    This ones of Facebook ......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir James View Post
    This ones of Facebook ......
    Wow!

Andres
    Doris doesn't give a fuck...be more like Doris!

That sidecar is defo a former left hand one .
    Oops...you will of course have realised that I meant to say a former RIGHT handed one.

Decided the cheapest way of resurrecting "Doris" was to buy a new thunderace and transplant the sidecar, wheels and leading link.
    Only got 17,000 miles on it

The G/friend decided I needed a clean garage before I could start the operation though
    Some people are like slinkies, not much use really, but put a smile on your face when shoved down the stairs!

top lass
    Some people are like slinkies, not much use really, but put a smile on your face when shoved down the stairs!

Naked Doris
    Bodywork off......1st time I've seen her totally naked

Chassis now separated from the old t/ace. Hats off to Merlin for the original build. It wasn't until I had to strip her down that I realised how many brace points they'd put in, all without drilling the frame
    Leading link front end is off and dismantled. Just stripping it ready for repainting (or should I get it stove enamelled ?).

Whilst rebuilding the Merlin I've decided to do a little performance mod. 145bhp just isn't enough
    Had this kicking around the garage for a while so thought I might as well use it

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast