Show Us Your Sidecars.

:eek

Go on.....set it to only kick in on left handers. :D :D

Good idea Tarka, it'll make sure I stick to the principle of accelerating round left handers. Should I sort the brakes out to come on into right handers? :D

Good job I had the sidecar chassis shot blasted, it turns out there was a couple of cracks that needed welding up :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,109
Chassis, leading link and other bits n bobs now back from being stove enamelled. :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,082
If anyone in the Doncaster area ever need some shot blasting or stove enamelling done I highly recommend Dragon stove enamelling on Kelham st industrial estate :thumb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,092
Leading link stove enamelled and fitted:thumb2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 981
New thunderace now ready to take the sidecar chassis :thumb2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 970
Looking good mate. :thumb

I bet you`ll be glad to get some space back when it`s all rebuilt...I still remember just how much room my 650 Ural took up when I stripped it for a repaint and patch up...and just how many parts it was made up from. :eek :D

Looking good mate. :thumb

I bet you`ll be glad to get some space back when it`s all rebuilt...I still remember just how much room my 650 Ural took up when I stripped it for a repaint and patch up...and just how many parts it was made up from. :eek :D

There's bits all over the place Tarka. It's driving the girlfriend nuts:pullface:D
Should be sorted and all put back together by the end of next week though :thumb

This ones of Facebook ...... :cool:

Very cool.Some more pics here !!

img1530798960.jpeg

img1530798964.jpeg

img1530798967.jpeg

img1530798970.jpeg

img1530798973.jpeg

img1530798996.jpeg

Nice bike, but surely the pannier on the left can be ommitted. Makes a wide outfit another foot wider !

Considering the width at the bars, it's probably less that four inches. Though I'd agree the bars can be turned to get round the tight bits. :nenau

Val.

EML-BMW 1976 Police Spec

Restored this original EML Sidecar this winter. Its from 1976, the 6th made by EML, and one of the 6 Police Side-Cars of the Royal Dutch Marechaussee. The Marechausee are Dutch Elite Police under Military command. They secure Shipholl Airport, and secure Royal Family, foreign Heads of State, etc...
Its not a BMW with a hack ! EML build their own frames for bike and side. So the tubes are much fatter as on BMW frame. The Headstock is 70mm longer as on a BMW frame and the steering shaft is with bearing over the full length. It has an EML (Earls type) Swing fork. Special EML wheels with 15inch car tires around and disc brakes on each wheel. The drive plant is the R75 of the time, except the rear sway arm is yet again EML as is the propshaft. Originally EML brakes were fitted but these are replaced by the better (later) brembo brakes. It has the original Police equipment like the Gläser Polizei Fairing, the Sirene and the Hella Blue Police lamps (on the picture white lamps as blue lamps forbidden on public roads).
Its a nice machine, lots of torque and drives like on rails. It reaches 140 km/h at 6200 RPM, obviously its very short geared due to the special ratio rear drive and the 15inch rear car tire further reduces gearing. Not a high speed span, but a thrill to drive.
The dutch were the only police force in Europe that used side cars up to 1988. Obviously this is an historic vehicle, one to pamper.

EML%25201976%2520051.jpg

There newer stuf

YOIKS!!

Just had a good ol' browse on their site, and they do make a nice frame :eek:

A rather serious approach, building a rigid, one piece frame and bike subframe all in one......no points of adjustment, so I guess they used a trial one to set it up and get it spot on handling wise, then made the frames from that jig :eek:

Frame and cradle.subframe for a Katoomer 990

DSC01065.JPG

And one for an XT600

XT%201.JPG

:bow:bow

Looks cool but there early shuffle just looks shit. Mind you I think they might be totally indestructable:thumb2

Looks cool but there early shuffle just looks shit. Mind you I think they might be totally indestructable:thumb2

And fekking expensive.

Don't buy one, MAKE one :thumb2

P1040405-XL.jpg

There's more than enough info, measurement ratio charts, hints and tips, step by step instructions, templates and blueprints.....and there's a deep satisfaction in ending up with a bespoke, over engineered outfit that you have made yourself :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom