New build- nearly from scratch on an 1100

P1040410-M.jpg

:JB

And here she is :beerjug:

P1040414-L.jpg

P1040415-L.jpg

P1040413-XL.jpg

P1040416-XL.jpg

Lots of room.....tomorrow a railing is going around the floor platform, then after it's come off the bike and the dodgy welds, angled cuts and little details have been dealt with, we can have a go on it, see if we need to change the geometry about a bit and then get to painting (Desert storm II Sand coloured, with paint left over from the Humvee rebuild) and wiring......split charge battery system, LEDs, etc etc :clap:clap

that is BONKERS and i bloody love it:JB:JB

Well come up to the farm next week Chad and you can help us destructo-test ride it on the tracks :thumb2

You'll have to take your turn as coffee bitch and you'll need some chuffin warm layers on, but we're less than an hour away from you :thumb2

Well come up to the farm next week Chad and you can help us destructo-test ride it on the tracks :thumb2

You'll have to take your turn as coffee bitch and you'll need some chuffin warm layers on, but we're less than an hour away from you :thumb2

would love to but im up to my eyeballs with a podium slab in edmonton , mebbie a blast over one saturday if your arround :thumb2

Don;t forget the gusset behind that longitudinal angle Bill Remembering that the gearbox which is pretty fragile physically (being made of a high magnesium alloy for lightness) may not take much cross frame stress

I'd maybe even think of an adjustable vertical between that rear horizontal and the diagonal above it just to prevent unnecessary stress on the gearbox / subframe mounts

HACK5-XL.jpg

Hey Bill, see you're making fast progress here. Shame F2 didn't want to provide individual parts. But then the Fiesta stub is much stronger than the original could ever be.

Now for the bit you probably ain't going to like. But it's got to be said. :rob

You've made a very nice frame and fitted it to the rather iffy 'strength-wise' Velorex frame. Now this might or might not be fine. Here's my take on what I see.
You have welded your nice strong box section frame to the four tub mounting points on the Velorex frame. Now this might be fine but for the fact that you have then welded the triangle (top) mountings to the box section and you lateral (bottom) mountings to the velorex frame. What this does is to put all the triangular forces through the four tub mounts that are made of eastern European 2mm plate welded to 2mm 'at best' eastern European metal tubing. I'll grant you, you have put a piece of metal angularly from your new frame to the upper suspension arm. But I don't think that will ultimately be enough to support it in use.

I think what will happen when you use this rig. Maybe not straight away, but probably quite soon. Is that those four tub mounts will start to act like hinges and will then come adrift and you will find you are riding a solo with a large hunk of metal flapping about next to you. I believe you need to fix the new frame to the old frame much more securely. IE weld the two directly together. Better still dump the old frame and just use the new one.

Sorry to be the devils advocate on this but I really think you have a serious design fault here.

Val.

This might make my thoughts and concerns about eastern European metal a little clearer. The Ural is a much beefier and stronger design than the Velorex. Nicked from 'tempered_lobster's' thread.

image-L.jpg

The front top mount broke at 85mph on the A1, an interesting time followed. Think trying to control a plate of blancmange. A while later the rear mount snapped, soon followed by the front again. Came to the conclusion that the thing was an accident waiting to continually happen, and as my son wanted to come for rides with me, something needed to be done.

Val.

I think what will happen when you use this rig. Maybe not straight away, but probably quite soon. Is that those four tub mounts will start to act like hinges and will then come adrift and you will find you are riding a solo with a large hunk of metal flapping about next to you.

So when is the first outing and can someone video it :D

Just for Fanum

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AvA_tWPMNlc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just for Fanum

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AvA_tWPMNlc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

you have to hand it to the french , they are bloody bonkers:D

how long before we see Bill sporting one of those beret's:hide:D

Now for the bit you probably ain't going to like. But it's got to be said. :rob

You've made a very nice frame and fitted it to the rather iffy 'strength-wise' Velorex frame. Now this might or might not be fine. Here's my take on what I see.
You have welded your nice strong box section frame to the four tub mounting points on the Velorex frame. Now this might be fine but for the fact that you have then welded the triangle (top) mountings to the box section and you lateral (bottom) mountings to the velorex frame. What this does is to put all the triangular forces through the four tub mounts that are made of eastern European 2mm plate welded to 2mm 'at best' eastern European metal tubing. I'll grant you, you have put a piece of metal angularly from your new frame to the upper suspension arm. But I don't think that will ultimately be enough to support it in use.

I think what will happen when you use this rig. Maybe not straight away, but probably quite soon. Is that those four tub mounts will start to act like hinges and will then come adrift and you will find you are riding a solo with a large hunk of metal flapping about next to you. I believe you need to fix the new frame to the old frame much more securely. IE weld the two directly together. Better still dump the old frame and just use the new one.

Sorry to be the devils advocate on this but I really think you have a serious design fault here.

Val.

Val, you're spot on, and thank you :thumb2

We've created a sandwich effect, with the top slice (our strong one) attached to the top mounts and the bottom slice (the velorex one) attached to the bottom mounts, with those four 2 inch square plates as the only filling apart from that one other plate we put in on the suspension unit area. :blast

That filling is, as you suspect, going to start 'sliding' inbetween the two slices as the force of the upper and lower mounts pull the two layers in opposite directions :eek:

It will be rectified at the beginning of the week :thumb2

Don't FFS stop pointing stuff out....It's easy to miss things when you're so close to it, and your input is valued and taken the right way :beerjug:

Thank you :beerjug:

We had to start taking out a gearbox to go to Ashcroft's tomorrow, so we lost a few hour's work on the rig, but things are still progressing and it ought to be tested, fully legal and properly set up for it's inaugural trip to the ICL rally this weekend coming :thumb

Front and side ally plates in place, 1mm plate
Rear light panel in place with a superbright 4 inch combined side/brake LED light and a pair of 2w red running LED markers on the back bar:

P1040421-XL.jpg

I swear this thing looks more like a Roman War chariot every minute :D

P1040422-L.jpg

P1040427-L.jpg

Nearly forgot to disconnect the battery before some more welding :blast

P1040429-L.jpg

And then a pause for me to transfer the shytebag from my GSA to the Brick :thumb2

P1040430-L.jpg

You can't see it with the tank back on, but under here, from the top mount going forwards and upwards to the beak subframe mount point on the main chassis rails, there is an 8 inch strengthening bar whose main purpose is to stop any twisting forces on that top mount point.

P1040433-L.jpg

Using special electric glue to stick a plate on for me to wire in a junction box for all the lights

P1040436-L.jpg

P1040458-L.jpg

And while we have the electric glue gun out, a strengthening fillet between the top layer and the Velorex subframe (there's another you can see over on the suspension side, on on top and one underneath)
The top layer of the sandwich is now well and truly glued to the weaker bottom layer :thumb2

P1040462-L.jpg

A subtle coat of red oxide

P1040467-L.jpg

And then some 1 inch box and a few offcuts to make up a mudguard mount- over engineered, but there's likely to be a rack on top, or some fat German guy will sit on it at some point :blast

P1040465-L.jpg

before painting the supports, this is how the mudguard (9 quid from a trailer shop) fits:

P1040445-L.jpg

And the little tab for the junction box I'll build tomorrow :thumb2

P1040443-L.jpg

First test wiring of the LEDs on the back
Tail off the bike to trace out the supplies- Wiring should take the load 'cos we're only adding a couple of extra LEDs on :cool:

P1040469-L.jpg

P1040446-L.jpg

Gert took it around the Farm on Sunday when I wasn't around :)eh and reports that it rides well, with some handlebar shake coming in at around 30mph.....we'll have a play some more when it's fully road legal after tomorrow and see if it might need a steering damper

It Lives!!!!!

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KuS_s4lQF1Y?version=3&hl=en_GB&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KuS_s4lQF1Y?version=3&hl=en_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

:JB:JB:JB

Back
Top Bottom