New build- nearly from scratch on an 1100

hi bill,just a quickie,can you remember off the top of your head how wide the track was on this beastie.
wheel centre to wheel centre.
thanks mike.:thumb2

Nope, but it wasn't narrow.

I'll see if I can grab a measurement for you, but it was bigger than 'normal' yet sensible enough for daily use :)

photo%204-L.jpg

Great job, and I do like it even though it removes the advantage of two wheels in traffic, can you make a trailer for a GS, and a detachable tow bar set up?? :eek:

Great job, and I do like it even though it removes the advantage of two wheels in traffic, can you make a trailer for a GS, and a detachable tow bar set up?? :eek:

Aye, but that is already fairly well catered for TBH, with some long established brands that use light weight high tec designs that we as Landrover farklers can't and/or don't want to go towards at the moment.

I don't work with Gert at the toy shed anymore, it wasn't financially viable TBH, but it's still a fantastic place to go and play, and we are going ahead with this sort of stuff as a hobby-sideline-bit of fun on top of Gert's core LR business......I now have a new job in an entirely new sector but it's just fekking great to still have the toyshed and playing around there to maintain that aspect of life and the sheer fun and challenge of building stuff like this.

Oh, and we have some new toys in the toyshed :D
(Timpo will weep if he ever stumbles across this thread :D)

Not quite a Myford 7 :augie

DSC00614-XL.jpg

And for bending sheet shit....

DSC00613-XL.jpg

Windy Miller

DSC00612-XL.jpg

Total cost of those three bits of heavy, out of date yet built to last a century kit.......less than 500 quid :D

So......

yes, scaffold tube has been built in to the design, as it's cheap, strong and available :eek:
This sidecar is never going to have a passenger, it's a load carrying space for the more extreme winter rallies and the brief says it's got to be off-road capable as well, so the weight of it is MEANT to be high in order to make it rideable unladen.

The scaffold bar forms the rearmost cross member, and the scalloped cutiuts are for bungee attachment

DSC00607-XL.jpg

A nearby 'proper' metal working shop owner is an ardent Landy fan, so some 'swapsies' of minor work got us the really nice bend in the other lump of scaffold forming the front outside corner of the chariot.....it's perfect :cool:

DSC00599-XL.jpg

DSC00598-L.jpg

Thick walled steel box section for the remainder of the frame, with some 5 mill angle cross bracing.......this thing is as solid as it can be :thumb2

DSC00602-L.jpg

As on the 1100GS build, we're putting this platform on 4 rather than 3 mounting points.

Front upper:

DSC00609-L.jpg

Front lower:

DSC00611-XL.jpg

And you can see the sub frame on the K bike there.....it's a commercial item that was 'obtained' by the brick owner.

Rear upper, and below it you can see the lug for the rear lower as well.
The observant will have seen that the subframe has a 5th potential mount that we may or may not use, depending on how things 'feel' when the thing is attached.....I suspect we will use it, as there's a disparity between the subrame build heft and the rig solidity, so a 5th point may well help spread the stresses out .....yet to be determined though, although gut feeling is that we'll use the front lower two in a triangular formation to a single point on the rig frame :)

DSC00610-XL.jpg

I forgot to mention this little beauty that Gert knocked up on the new (old) lathe......A K bike axle for specifically the chair wheel
:)

DSC00606-XL.jpg

DSC00605-L.jpg

Well, the rig has returned successfully from its second major trip, this time to the Nordkapp and back......with that under its belt AND a trip to the Elefant, performing perfectly on both, I guess we can claim that it works, is bloody solid and not a bad bit of kit :)

There are two under construction in the toyshed right now, both for K100 bikes (I'll apologise to Mike at his funeral next week :) ) and they are both looking ace......Both will end up with our dual battery split charging system running LED floodlights for camping set-ups as well as charging boxes (mounted in Peli cases) for phones, laptops etc etc, and both will be fully ruggedised.

I'm waiting for the piccies of the Nordkapp trip from Gerty and I'll post them up as soon as I can.....We have already started planning another rig build on a very different bike (still with long distance rugged travel in mind though) and again, will post up when we start that project :)

Oh, and we've also made up a cunning spacer system that mounts onto Fiesta stub axles, with which we can mount up GS wheels......the Yellow Peril rig will be retrofitted with one so it will end up with 2 GS rears and a front standard GS hoop, but we'll have to go play on the farmer's fields with that, at speed again, to make sure we don't alter the geometry and handling :)

Actually, fekkit, I won't apologise to Mike, he actually LIKED the 1100 Rig :D

22222222222-XL.jpg

Return Leg

The Return journey. :bow

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 525
The Return journey. :bow

:clap

There's loads going on in the shed now with work on two more rigs for 'K' bikes, but I haven't had a chance to take any decent piccies yet for the other thread.......I do know that Gert (or rather, the rig) was recognised a couple of times on the journey to and from the Nordkapp by tossers, which is brilliant :D

Back
Top Bottom