New Trophy?

I Totally disagree with the above. I have had 5 Triumphs, in the last few years, (955 Speed Triple bought second hand, 1050 Sprint ABS bought new, Daytona 675 SE bought new, Tiger 1050 bought second hand and a 1200 Explorer bought new)

All have been well built and reliable with the exception of the speed triple. The regulator burnt out, taking the wiring loom with it, the bike was 4 years old and bought privately second hand, my local dealer collected the bike, did the repairs and delivered it back home, the bill, don't worry about that sir, we'll claim it back from Triumph.

I never got that service from BMW.

Andrew

I can only speak from my own experience of owning two Sprint ST's and the numerous issues I had with both. The build quality on the first ST (a 1999 model) was good but the second one (2004)was shoddy. The reaction from Triumph was even shoddier and they refused to do anything about the issues, despite my dealer backing me and telling the factory the bike was well looked after.

BMW's service, in my own personal experience, is far superior to the joke that Triumph claim is proper customer service.

Jings crivvens.
I'm currently in dispute with BMW Motorrad about something and I've never known such a woeful 'couldn't care less' attitude from any company.
Triumph would have to try very, very hard to be worse and even then I don't think they'd achieve it.

Cheers for the 'heads up regarding the Pan. 2014 will fit n nicely as the RT will be getting close to 10k miles then and due for a change.:augie

Jings crivvens.
I'm currently in dispute with BMW Motorrad about something and I've never known such a woeful 'couldn't care less' attitude from any company.
Triumph would have to try very, very hard to be worse and even then I don't think they'd achieve it.

In my personal experience they hit rock bottom and started to dig. Paint flaked off a number of painted components within the first year and their response was to write to me and tell me I should have followed the instructions in the owners handbook on how to clean the bike. It wasn't their fault that they didn't paint components properly.

They followed that up by telling me I should have also followed the instructions on using corrosion inhibitors that were in the handbook. Except the only mention of "corrosion inhibitors" in the handbook was in relation to anti freeze and no mention of using them when cleaning the bike.

I wouldn't touch a Triumph with a bargepole, based on my own personal experiences of owning two of them from new, both which had more issues combined than I have had from several BMW's.

Timaloy said:
Cheers for the 'heads up regarding the Pan. 2014 will fit n nicely as the RT will be getting close to 10k miles then and due for a change.:augie

It's just a guess on a new Pan for 2014, and nothing more.

quoteIn my personal experience they hit rock bottom and started to dig. Paint flaked off a number of painted components within the first year and their response was to write to me and tell me I should have followed the instructions in the owners handbook on how to clean the bike. It wasn't their fault that they didn't paint components properly.

Bob, is that Triumph's or BMW's paint, I presume it's the front forks, telelever and frame from our beloved GS's. ??????

I guess a lot of the issues comes down to the dealer you are with, and how they interact with Triumph HQ, but all my new bikes have come from Destination Triumph, Washington, West Sussex. :thumb2

Andrew

quoteIn my personal experience they hit rock bottom and started to dig. Paint flaked off a number of painted components within the first year and their response was to write to me and tell me I should have followed the instructions in the owners handbook on how to clean the bike. It wasn't their fault that they didn't paint components properly.

Bob, is that Triumph's or BMW's paint, I presume it's the front forks, telelever and frame from our beloved GS's. ??????

I guess a lot of the issues comes down to the dealer you are with, and how they interact with Triumph HQ, but all my new bikes have come from Destination Triumph, Washington, West Sussex. :thumb2

Andrew

He's talking about Triumph paint:rob

Andrew

Triumph paint of course Andrew:D I bought my second ST from Boyer Racing in Plumstead and they were very highly regarded. But a warranty claim shouldn't come down to how the dealer gets on with the importer or factory. The problem at the time was down to that comedic double act at Hinckley of Swepson and Smart (he didn't live up to his name).

Went & had a look at the Trophy at my local dealer yesterday.
The screen showing the various radio/suspension options certainly looked better & more user friendly than the RT but that aside I can't say it had much else in it's favour IMO.

TBH it looked to me like a prototype for a great touring bike, as if someone had thought about all the bits you might want on a long distance bike & lumped them all on wherever they could find the space as they thought of each idea.

But the RT looks like the finished model, so to speak. As if someone said 'Yes, great ideas, now let's make them all integral & easy to get to.'.

In essence, for me, the Trophy looked agricultural, basic & cheap (though I know it isn't), compared to the RT which looks sleek, well designed & overall far more aesthetically pleasing.

I've certainly ruled the Trophy out on the basis of it's first incarnation.

Most reviews are still putting the RT ahead of the Trophy overall as a touring machine.

It's a shame that despite several years of development Triumph can't turn out a better bike than the BMW which has been out several years in its current form and is also no doubt due a water cooled update.

I think when you're new to the market it's wise to slightly undercut the competition which again Triumph have failed to do in the case of the Trophy

I intend buying a dedicated tourer in a couple of years time but as things stand it ain't going to be the Triumph

Jan. issue Bike. 2 riders ,2 different opinions.
Note the width of the TT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 224
That's very unfair. They've got it alongside the prettiest colour of all the RT's......

Seriously though when I looked at one it seemed that the panniers were wider than the mirrors. Not saying that's definite but it looked that way.

If you're going to have a true side by side comparison you really need to take your photos from the same angle of elevation otherwise the lower-shot bike is going to look fat....maybe that's what was intended. Cynical? Me? :augie

If you're going to have a true side by side comparison you really need to take your photos from the same angle of elevation otherwise the lower-shot bike is going to look fat....maybe that's what was intended. Cynical? Me? :augie

Aahh but the camera never lies. :augie

Most reviews are still putting the RT ahead of the Trophy overall as a touring machine.

It's a shame that despite several years of development Triumph can't turn out a better bike than the BMW which has been out several years in its current form and is also no doubt due a water cooled update.

I think when you're new to the market it's wise to slightly undercut the competition which again Triumph have failed to do in the case of the Trophy

I intend buying a dedicated tourer in a couple of years time but as things stand it ain't going to be the Triumph

It's going to be interesting to see the the new re- vamped rt with the new watercooled engine, if they do what they have done with the new GS. Are we going to see a new bike from the ground up :flag

That's very unfair. They've got it alongside the prettiest colour of all the RT's......

Seriously though when I looked at one it seemed that the panniers were wider than the mirrors. Not saying that's definite but it looked that way.

The only tourer I could ever get through our side gate without taking off the panniers was the Honda ST1300. Both the RT1200 and GT1200 were too wide. And it was the smoothest engine of he lot!

Back
Top Bottom