Seconds out, Round Two (K1 fettling):

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My mate came with me to collect the ex-Luke Scott K1 from Exmouth today (where it had been delivered a couple of weeks ago).

This bike had been bought sight unseen by another mate who live and works in The Hague at the moment. He has realised that he doesn't have anywhere sensible to keep it and so he offered it to me for what he paid for it (plus the shipping costs).

Twenty years ago I had one in the same colour scheme. The mate who came with me today had ridden that one but couldn't get on with it owing to an iffy hip. Now, twenty years on and a new hip, he rode it back for me and was beaming from ear-to-ear by the time we were a few miles down the road.

K1-BMW-37-L.jpg

Once I'd dropped him home, I went straight to Ocean for an MoT and to place my first order for parts. I think that Ocean are starting to believe that K1s are like buses, you never see one and then two come along at once. :D

It passed with an advisory: One fork seal is just beginning to mist a little.

Then home and a first quick scrub:

K1-BMW-41-XL.jpg

The seat needs some adjustment:

K1-BMW-55-L.jpg

The nearside mirror has to go, the head has lost tensions and flops about at anything like higher speeds (new one on the way). Both switch gear/lever assemblies are in need of attention:

K1-BMW-50-L.jpg

The offside mirror is marked but that can be sorted, the master cylinder cap is flaking (easily remedied) and the usual problem with the mirror fixing bolt.

K1-BMW-47-L.jpg

Generally the bike is decent condition and the expensive parts are especially good. There's one small panel that needs to be re-sprayed. The paint has crazed and split for some reason:

K1-BMW-011-L.jpg

There are some inevitable nicks in the yellow powder-coat:

K1-BMW-44-L.jpg

K1-BMW-42-L.jpg

I have an idea how these can be sorted without resorting to a complete re-coating.

I can't quite fathom why a strip of insulating tape was stuck over the ABS logo.

K1-BMW-45-L.jpg
:nenau

The main stand displays the usual lack of attention:

K1-BMW-54-L.jpg

And the pillion seat cover (hump) pad seems to be drooping for some as yet unknown reason:

K1-BMW-52-L.jpg

I'm not going to strip the bike down just yet because DVLA may want to see it before they re-register it.

There are a number of outstanding recalls. Ocean are going to see if BMW(GB) will honour them.

Not everyone's cup of tea I know. The reactions at Ocean were mixed but generally favourable. Those who hate them are quite welcome to say so, just don't expect me to change my opinion. ;) :D

One day these will start to appreciate in value. Their comparative rarity will see to that, total production in all colour schemes was less than 7,000 units. Perhaps, like Greg (who rode it down here for me in howling wind and rain), those who are ambivalent at best, if they rode one would react like he did and admit that part of the way home, he "got it" at last.

Who knows, in twenty years from now, if I sort it out, this will pay for this little fellows education or maybe a deposit on his first house:

Freddie-Baxter-Prince-26-24-M.jpg

:thumb2

K1-BMW-37-L.jpg

Not everyone's cup of tea I know. The reactions at Ocean were mixed but generally favourable. Those who hate them are quite welcome to say so, just don't expect me to change my opinion. ;) :D

You'll do a sterling job I know, but yes you're right, I think it's one of the worlds ugliest bikes ever made ... :D

Looks a great bike Mike. Good ones are getting rare and the people who now own them seem to hang on to them. Defo a future classic.

Ugly as Sin, but unarguably very well made as they all were around that time, look forward to seeing how this one goes, good luck :thumb

You'll do a sterling job I know, but yes you're right, I think it's one of the worlds ugliest bikes ever made ... :D

Youve never owned one.

Tape on abs logo would be for MOT purposes. If it doesnt work, some mot stations will refuse to pass it.

Youve never owned one.
That's what it boils down to. :thumb2

Den said:
Tape on abs logo would be for MOT purposes. If it doesnt work, some mot stations will refuse to pass it.
Possibly Den but in this case it was only over the German script:

K1-BMW-015-M.jpg

Maybe it was once owned by someone who's mum was frightened by :ronno ? :nenau

Well I'm going to sit back and enjoy this thread. :clap The mot test pointing out "misting" on the fork seal proves that we should have an mot for bikes in Ireland. The tape on the abs unit was a mystery to me as well but as I only put up 100 miles during my ownership it was put to the back of my mind. The previous owner here in Ireland (before me) had replaced a lot of bits and pieces on it and was a very intense person, my ears started to bleed when he talked about all the screws and bits etc etc. He even gave me oil and brake fluid with the bike along with a brand new final drive unit still in its bmw box valued at over £1,000.

Well I'm going to sit back and enjoy this thread. :clap The tape on the abs unit was a mystery to me as well but as I only put up 100 miles during my ownership it was put to the back of my mind.

So am I :thumb2

I reckon the tape was to clean up the look......that ABS logo is fine, but a tiny bit of text under it? untidy, cluttered, not necessary IMO.

Looks better with the tape on :beerjug:

While waiting for the black one to be collected, I continued to take stock of what I have. There are some spares among which is this:

K1-BMW-60-L.jpg

Nice to have but a bit OTT when a bearing and seal is relatively cheap and very easy to replace. :nenau

It will be wrapped-up, sealed and stored. It will take something quite catastrophic to happen before it needs to be pressed into service.

The two rear fairing cubbies have a thin, clear plastic used as a seal instead of the correct bulky, black seals:

K1-BMW-63-L.jpg

Nice and neat:

K1-BMW-62-L.jpg

but it doesn't seal and when I washed the bike I had to bale the pockets out with a sponge.

Among the spares were two lengths of the correct seal, not quite long enough but that could be down to them being new and need time to settle properly:

K1-BMW-64-L.jpg

Note that neither helmet lock is present. There's one new one in the spares.

The offside rear panel needs to be properly fitted:

K1-BMW-61-L.jpg

No need to do so yet, all the panels will be coming off before much longer.

I whipped the seat cover (hump) off to investigate the droopy pad.

K1-BMW-65-XL.jpg

Compare it with Mike's:

BMW-K1-199-XL.jpg

The aluminium bracket has been cut down. The two lengths down the side have bee removed for some reason. :confused:

That just leaves two screws each side to support the pad and provide strength to the rubber. Without the support, it sags.

Unfortunately, the pad is no longer available. I foresee a bodge. ;)

The other thing that this comparison reveals is that Mike's is missing two support gaskets at the sides and the two spacer rubbers at the rear. That partly explains why his one didn't sit too well. The good news is that those parts are still available (and cheap).

Adjusted the seat fitting:

K1-BMW-67-L.jpg

The seat hump bodge has begun.

Either, over time the weight of the pad has twisted it downwards or, more likely, someone has put downwards pressure on it while slinging a leg over. The upshot being that the metal diaphragm that is moulded into the arms of the pad has bent and burst out of the rubber:

K1-BMW-68-L.jpg

I can't see why the ends have then been bent inwards. Possibly to prevent the metal from cutting into the plastic of the hump? :nenau

Well first thing was to straighten the bent bits:

K1-BMW-69-L.jpg

Then bond the rubber back into place (leaving it clamped overnight for the adhesive to set). Both sides have been done.

K1-BMW-73-L.jpg

Next job was to drill out the rivets holding the external brace and remove it:

K1-BMW-71-L.jpg

Then drill out the remains of the rivets being careful not to slip and go right through the pad:

K1-BMW-72-L.jpg

I'm either going to raid my dwindling supply of aluminium L-shaped edging strip or pop out and search likely places for something that will need less cutting and shaping to approximate the original brace, then knock-up a new brace with the two arms that support the pad like the one on Mike's K1.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why this one has a different brace. It's the same build year as Mike's K1 and my old K1 had the same as Mike's. This one doesn't look as though it has been cut and the rivets I've removed are original. :duno

Been looking forward to this.

My wife asked what I was looking at, when I explained it to her she just shrugged and muttered something about not understanding......:blagblah:blagblah

Mike, in the OP you said the L/H mirror had the 'usual problem'. What is that? I suspect it's like the one on the GS, as I unscrewed it to gain access to the brake cylinder the thread ripped out with the mirror stem?

How do you get round that?

Keep it up!

Steve.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why this one has a different brace. It's the same build year as Mike's K1 and my old K1 had the same as Mike's. This one doesn't look as though it has been cut and the rivets I've removed are original. :duno

I cant recall my K1 having the support bracket on it.
How could someone have cut the existing bracket so flush with the rubber bit without removing the whole bracket and re-rivetting. Seems like a lot of work for no purpose.

Been looking forward to this.

Mike, in the OP you said the L/H mirror had the 'usual problem'. What is that? I suspect it's like the one on the GS, as I unscrewed it to gain access to the brake cylinder the thread ripped out with the mirror stem?

How do you get round that?

Keep it up!

Steve.
Sorry Steve, nothing as disastrous as that. I was referring to the Allen screw head that collects water and then rusts.

I cant recall my K1 having the support bracket on it.
How could someone have cut the existing bracket so flush with the rubber bit without removing the whole bracket and re-rivetting. Seems like a lot of work for no purpose.
Closer examination proves you right Den. There must have been two types. It's strange though.

Family resemblance going on here me thinks... :)
Good looking little sod isn't he? ;)

However, when your comment was put to him, this his how Freddie reacted:

Freddie-Baxter-Prince-027-L.jpg

:D

The bodge:

K1-BMW-75-L.jpg

Once I was happy that it worked, I gave the hump a cut & polish and the pad some polish and a buff-up.

Before:

K1-BMW-52-L.jpg

After:

K1-BMW-76-L.jpg

Work necessarily stopped for now as I need to wave goodbye to the "Turd" :(

Sweeeeeeeeet :cool::cool::cool::cool: nice one mike a guy round the corner to me has one in the red yellow scheme , he hardly rides it:confused: bit of a shame really . i look forward to the progress :beerjug:

First things first. I had to get the bike registered in the UK. This was made easier by the fact that it was a UK bike before being exported to Ireland. It's still bit of a faff what with insurance temporary cover-note, MoT issued to the VIN. I'll spare you the gory details, suffice it say that yesterday I was able to get a new plate to go with the VEL:

K1%20BMW%20%2878%29-L.jpg

There are a couple of outstanding recalls on this bike. Ocean (Plymouth - nice guys), convinced BMW(GB) that they need to be done so the bike is booked in for the work in two weeks or so. That means that I'm not going to strip the bike as far as I want to just yet. I am going to do some work on it though (handy, the weather being so crap at the moment).

Of the things that I must sort before any proper use are the weak nearside mirror and fit a rear mudguard forward extension.

The extension and the new mirror arrived today:

K1%20BMW%20%2885%29-L.jpg

The extension is a BMW modification to prevent the possibility of stones being pinged into the recess at the back of the gearbox and fouling the clutch actuating arm.

When I had my last K1, this item was sent to me but I never got around to fitting it. Then a few years ago, when I moved home, I found the part in the loft but left it there thinking that I'd never own a K1 again. :blast

Still, it's less than 8 quid.

Before doing anything else, I took the rear mudguard off. Both sections. I removed the Irish VRM:

K1%20BMW%20%2879%29-L.jpg

That bit of red reflective tape can come off and the whole thing cleaned and polished.

The three holes are from where it was once fitted with the mudguard extender (like Coolcarbon's bike):

BMW%20K1%20%28169%29-XL.jpg

That extender is no longer available (and I don't really like them), so to deal with the holes I could either trim the mudguard down or just use the plastic screws from the old number plate. I chose the latter (for now at least), then used double-sided sticky to mount the new number.

K1%20BMW%20%2882%29-X2.jpg

Then the main section of the mudguard got some attention:

K1%20BMW%20%2880%29-L.jpg

After:

K1%20BMW%20%2883%29-L.jpg

Then the leading edge extender was offered up, holes drilled, sticky added for luck:

K1%20BMW%20%2896%29-L.jpg

Then checked to see that it doesn't foul the swing-arm:

K1%20BMW%20%2897%29-XL.jpg

It will also help keep the rear of the gearbox and the swing-arm clean. :thumb2

I also decided to investigate the heated grips (not working). The usual, wires at both have been pulled out:

K1%20BMW%20%28104%29-L.jpg

K1%20BMW%20%28105%29-L.jpg

The back-end is stripped for cleaning. Battery out, levels topped up and on charge. ABS and Motronic units unplugged so that various bits can be re-sprayed. More on these as I finish them such as the mudguard retaining strap:

K1%20BMW%20%2895%29-L.jpg

More to follow.

I hope you don't want it back Luke. :D

I've been scraping and rubbing down bits and pieces for painting.

The handlebar end weights. One was quite bad, the other just needed doing so they will match.

The battery strap-cum-Motronic mount has the usual battery acid corrosion (someone loved Copper-ease, it's splashed about like Henry Cooper splashed Brut :D) and is yet to be rubbed down:

K1%20BMW%20%28106%29-L.jpg

Once it is rubbed down and the rust removed, it had a soapy bath to degrease it:

K1%20BMW%20%28107%29-L.jpg

Before being hung up to dry in front of a heater:

K1%20BMW%20%28108%29-L.jpg

Along with some other bits, first coat of satin (still wet and glossy) having a gentle bake:

K1%20BMW%20%28110%29-L.jpg

While the paint was curing, I satisfied myself by cleaning some bits and raiding my supply of stainless fasteners:

K1%20BMW%20%28109%29-L.jpg

Off with the spring-strut for a clean:

K1%20BMW%20%28111%29-L.jpg

That disc needs to come off to be cleaned and to get at the horrors behind it:

K1%20BMW%20%28112%29-L.jpg

Lots to do and what fun it is. :bounce1

The man is incredible he sees rust and dirt where no one else can :D
I reckon most would have spotted what's to come. :eek:

The spring-strut cleaned up okay.

K1%20BMW%20%28115%29-L.jpg

While scrubbing away, the postie called with a package from Motobins. The new fork seals and this:

K1%20BMW%20%28120%29-L.jpg

No-one could find this on the fiche at Ocean but Motobins had it in stock. :clap

Scrubbed the seat:

K1%20BMW%20%28121%29-L.jpg

When doing the jobbie on Mike's black one, I mentioned that I used to scrub the yellow part of my old K1 and R100GS with washing powder and a nail brush with not very good results.

Well the stuff I used this time has worked a treat. I recommend it:

K1%20BMW%20%28122%29-L.jpg

Next time you are in Morocco, grab some. :D

I did say that I wanted to get at the horrors behind the rear disc. I wasn't expecting it to be quite like this:

K1%20BMW%20%28114%29-L.jpg

My first thought was that the final drive seal had failed but the oil and shit would have been over all the face. There'd have been oil on the wheel or at least the rear disc.

Next thought, it's the gearbox output seal. So off with the final drive, removing the speedometer pick-up first:

K1%20BMW%20%28116%29-L.jpg

I removed the gaiter clip and peeled it back. Luckily I had a rag to hand as about a desert spoon of oil ran out.

K1%20BMW%20%28117%29-L.jpg

The Paralever pivots hadn't been disturbed for a long time and needed more heat than I've ever had to use before.

Once I'd mopped-up the oil I peered inside expecting to see the path where the oil has run down inside the swingarm housing but:

K1%20BMW%20%28118%29-L.jpg

No sign. :nenau

The swingarm housing is to come off so I can be certain that the seal is okay and replace it if needs be but I'd felt certain that there'd be signs of an oily path inside. :duno

Trouble is, I don't know what the gearbox level was like. I mean that not having had the bike long enough to have changed the gearbox oil, there's little point in checking the level now.

We shall have to wait and see what's revealed when the swingarm comes out. I'm steeling myself to undo the pivots which will probably be as hard to remove as a very hard thing. :D

Back
Top Bottom