Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike Cover

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Bike Cover

Just testing the water. To see if any interest in a seat/tank cover for their GS. Spotted one on a GS in France in 2010 thought it a good idea so Sue made some for our bikes and a couple of friends. Used them through 2011/12 all over from Norway to Turkey and loads of people have asked about them. Packed up look like a small backrest pad but open to cover the bike, like in the picture. Got a new version now with reflective beading instead of the silver trim (colour wore off) and better elasticated fastenings so you can put the steering lock on. The cover is fully waterproof (double thickness waterproof nylon) with heavy duty reflective beading on all seams and edges also around the storage bag which has a strong nylon zip, no rusting. Not anywhere near exhaust so can cover as soon as you get off the bike. Handy for keeping helmets under and charging off the bike if you have Bluetooth.
    Reason for “testing the water” we will have to get fabric etc in bulk so need an idea if we can sell em. Will cost £39 + postage
    Picture of bikes with original cover and a couple of the new version.
    Thanks all
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Money isn't everything.But it keeps the kids intouch

Old enough to know better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Ted,
    Couple of questions for you.

1/ What the length (front to back)
    2/ Can you make the cover custom lengths
    3/ can you do built in bungee's

Ta
    Neil

Perfect!
    I`m in please.
    to hide a leaf first find a forest

http://www.visitguernsey.com

Quote Originally Posted by NeilDD View Post
    Ted,
    Couple of questions for you.

1/ What the length (front to back)
    2/ Can you make the cover custom lengths
    3/ can you do built in bungee's

Ta
    Neil
    Hi Neil
    The length front to back is 118cm (46.5 ins) thats from the base of the topbox to the handlebar mounts. The top pannel is slightly wider at the front as well. The velcro mounts to the topbox is purely to hold the bag in place, the rear of the cover and base of the bag are held by an elasticated strap hidden around the rear carrier. Also can't just walk up and pull the bag off the box.

Not making custom covers at the moment as we have made it specificaly for the 1200GS and its topbox carrier, thats our bikes. Took a while to get it so it covered the bike but not the hot parts and was small enough to not be a huge bag on the back. Maybe if it takes off could make them for other bikes.

Not sure what you mean about bungee's Do you mean to secure the cover?
    All the mounting tabs are 50mm wide elastic so some stretch in them also easier to thread through the frame

Bit more info on the fabric. It is Ripstop nylon double thickness with a silver inner coating which offers some insulation as well as waterproofing. The beading looks black till you shine a light on it, the pictures are with the flash so it shows up.
    Hope that answers everything
    Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bem View Post
    Perfect!
    I`m in please.
    Thanks. Added a bit more info at the bottom of Neils questions re the fabric.
    We are going to get the fabric,zips etc later this week from the wholesale supplier.
    Should have a few made by Monday 5th. If you want one I can let you know the total inc postage next week along with payment details, probably through PayPal
    Cheers.

Great idea!

Would this attach to the aluminium top box and where are you in Cheshire (as I lurk in the same place!).

Old enough to know better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hi Ted,
    Wasn't even thinking about use on a GS more a couple of my classic bikes that I use for touring

I'll have a measure up this weekend and get back to you

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by JamieH View Post
    Would this attach to the aluminium top box and where are you in Cheshire (as I lurk in the same place!).
    Steve73 had one for his GSA will pm him and see if he has pictures but pretty sure it will. One in the first picture is fitted with Jess panniers and top box and that was ok.
    Not far from Knutsford about 3 miles from J19 on M6 should have a few made up by week Friday so can pop over for a look if you like, will let you know .

Quote Originally Posted by NeilDD View Post
    Hi Ted,
    Wasn't even thinking about use on a GS more a couple of my classic bikes that I use for touring

I'll have a measure up this weekend and get back to you

Neil
    Ok Neil. I'm sure once we get started should be able to sort something. Best bet is to see the bike, or similar so Sue can work out the best way of fitting it.

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great idea that, I like it a lot

Ted.....might well be worth speaking to people like Nippy Norm.......if he will stock them, you could have a nice little home business there
    सत्यमेव जयते

Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post

Ted.....might well be worth speaking to people like Nippy Norm.......if he will stock them, you could have a nice little home business there
    Trouble with that is, Nippy will want 50% margin on return and that puts the price up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post

Just started as something for the bikes when we go camping and a few people have asked where we got them. So decided to see if we can make some. At the moment don't think sue could make them in quantity or speed that NN would want. Have a few other items that we use that may start to make, like a set of 3 shaped bags for the alloy ADV panniers, specially the exh side and Hiviz vests that dont look like a builder and avoid the reflection off the instruments and GPS you get with all the other ones, + lots of other bits and bobs. All stuff we have used and modified, tested and abused over the last few years.
    Plenty to go at.....

Neat. Very similar to one being offered by a vendor advertising on the opening page here.

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Yes plz, great for keeping sheepskin/airhawk dry..
    Hope your going to sell them
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Yes plz, great for keeping sheepskin/airhawk dry..
    Hope your going to sell them

+1

Great idea

I'd buy one!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast