Bike Cover

Ted

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just testing the water. To see if any interest in a seat/tank cover for their GS. Spotted one on a GS in France in 2010 thought it a good idea so Sue made some for our bikes and a couple of friends. Used them through 2011/12 all over from Norway to Turkey and loads of people have asked about them. Packed up look like a small backrest pad but open to cover the bike, like in the picture. Got a new version now with reflective beading instead of the silver trim (colour wore off) and better elasticated fastenings so you can put the steering lock on. The cover is fully waterproof (double thickness waterproof nylon) with heavy duty reflective beading on all seams and edges also around the storage bag which has a strong nylon zip, no rusting. Not anywhere near exhaust so can cover as soon as you get off the bike. Handy for keeping helmets under and charging off the bike if you have Bluetooth.
Reason for “testing the water” we will have to get fabric etc in bulk so need an idea if we can sell em. Will cost £39 + postage
Picture of bikes with original cover and a couple of the new version.
Thanks all

Attachments

• Camping.jpg
    Camping.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,986
  • cover bag.jpg
    cover bag.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2,942
  • cover in place.jpg
    cover in place.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 2,988
  • helmet covered.jpg
    helmet covered.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,955
Ted,
Couple of questions for you.

1/ What the length (front to back)
2/ Can you make the cover custom lengths
3/ can you do built in bungee's

Ta
Neil

Perfect!
I`m in please.

Ted,
Couple of questions for you.

1/ What the length (front to back)
2/ Can you make the cover custom lengths
3/ can you do built in bungee's

Ta
Neil

Hi Neil
The length front to back is 118cm (46.5 ins) thats from the base of the topbox to the handlebar mounts. The top pannel is slightly wider at the front as well. The velcro mounts to the topbox is purely to hold the bag in place, the rear of the cover and base of the bag are held by an elasticated strap hidden around the rear carrier. Also can't just walk up and pull the bag off the box.

Not making custom covers at the moment as we have made it specificaly for the 1200GS and its topbox carrier, thats our bikes. Took a while to get it so it covered the bike but not the hot parts and was small enough to not be a huge bag on the back. Maybe if it takes off could make them for other bikes.

Not sure what you mean about bungee's Do you mean to secure the cover?
All the mounting tabs are 50mm wide elastic so some stretch in them also easier to thread through the frame

Bit more info on the fabric. It is Ripstop nylon double thickness with a silver inner coating which offers some insulation as well as waterproofing. The beading looks black till you shine a light on it, the pictures are with the flash so it shows up.
Hope that answers everything
Ted.

Perfect!
I`m in please.

Thanks. Added a bit more info at the bottom of Neils questions re the fabric.
We are going to get the fabric,zips etc later this week from the wholesale supplier.
Should have a few made by Monday 5th. If you want one I can let you know the total inc postage next week along with payment details, probably through PayPal
Cheers.:thumb

Great idea!

Would this attach to the aluminium top box and where are you in Cheshire (as I lurk in the same place!).

Hi Ted,
Wasn't even thinking about use on a GS :D more a couple of my classic bikes that I use for touring :blagblah

I'll have a measure up this weekend and get back to you

Neil

Would this attach to the aluminium top box and where are you in Cheshire (as I lurk in the same place!).

Steve73 had one for his GSA will pm him and see if he has pictures but pretty sure it will. One in the first picture is fitted with Jess panniers and top box and that was ok.
Not far from Knutsford about 3 miles from J19 on M6 should have a few made up by week Friday so can pop over for a look if you like, will let you know .

Hi Ted,
Wasn't even thinking about use on a GS :D more a couple of my classic bikes that I use for touring :blagblah

I'll have a measure up this weekend and get back to you

Neil

Ok Neil. I'm sure once we get started should be able to sort something. Best bet is to see the bike, or similar so Sue can work out the best way of fitting it.

Great idea that, I like it a lot :thumb

Ted.....might well be worth speaking to people like Nippy Norm.......if he will stock them, you could have a nice little home business there :clap

Ted.....might well be worth speaking to people like Nippy Norm.......if he will stock them, you could have a nice little home business there :clap

Trouble with that is, Nippy will want 50% margin on return and that puts the price up.

Just started as something for the bikes when we go camping and a few people have asked where we got them. So decided to see if we can make some. At the moment don't think sue could make them in quantity or speed that NN would want. Have a few other items that we use that may start to make, like a set of 3 shaped bags for the alloy ADV panniers, specially the exh side and Hiviz vests that dont look like a builder and avoid the reflection off the instruments and GPS you get with all the other ones, + lots of other bits and bobs. All stuff we have used and modified, tested and abused over the last few years.
Plenty to go at.....:)

Yes plz, great for keeping sheepskin/airhawk dry..
Hope your going to sell them ;)

A picture of the bikes with covers working for a living. Heavy thunderstorm at our camp site just outside Prague in 2011, nice sunset as well.:D
Bike behind has a Jess top box so guess it will fit those as well.

Attachments

• P1060244.jpg
    P1060244.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 856
Ok. Now have 5 covers made up and ready to go. Sue has been busy. If any one would like one they are £43 (£39+£4 p&p first class recorded delivery)

You can pay via PayPal, Or send over a cheque. Pm me I will send over address/PP details. Then let me have your delivery address and will get one in the post from Monday.

Couple of pictures showing what she enjoys most, sewing and riding... well not showing the other :D

Cheers Ted. :thumb2

Attachments

• sue turkey ferry 1.jpg
    sue turkey ferry 1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 811
  • working away.jpg
    working away.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 802

Let me know if you want to drop over and have a look at the covers. I know it will fit the ADV top box ok.

Back
Top Bottom