It was a dark & stormy night, and the rain came down in torrents...

Thanks, this is just great. I should be working but this is way more interesting.....

I have done some of the places myself Le Puy-En-Valey, Mende, Tarn

I have learnt what sugar cane looks like.
I have learnt what an apple crusher looks like.
And i have also learned that Bettie is not your very wise other half riding pillion.:D

Enjoying a read of this over lunch

It was minus 1 yesterday morning with black ice, and 7 degrees and drizzling this morning - So keep up this excellent ride report as it really raises ones spirits :thumb2

Following your trip report with interest especially the nice warm sunny bits.:D Quite understand your choice of Hotel. I very often book them and on arrival if not exhausted will have a mooch round local area .Thanks for posting.
Looking forward to next instalment .:thumb

Rusty car pic....check :thumb2

I know when I'm enjoying a Mike O ride report :D

Very enjoyable bit of time spent reading this :thumb

Mike oop north it was -3 when i set off for my nightshift , so this talk of 70 to 80 F is intoxicating. Hope the journey is helping you order your head and providing good R&R

Steve

Mike oop north it was -3 when i set off for my nightshift , so this talk of 70 to 80 F is intoxicating. Hope the journey is helping you order your head and providing good R&R

Steve

Dunno about him - but it's feckin helping ME! and i'm not writing it - just reading it! :D :thumb2
Thank you Mike O :clap

7th November 2012

I spent yesterday catching up on sleep and doing some reading - I think the first couple of days really took it out of me...

However, today I am awake at 0700 and raring to go. After abluting and having a light breakfast (and snaffling two bananas for later), I walk out to pack the bike...

i-zzwMVV6-L.jpg

A soft rain has just started falling from a bright overcast sky. I check the bike over and see that the oil level is now halfway down the sight glass. I'll consider putting a litre in when it gets near the bottom - long periods of high speed, particularly in high ambient temperatures, can make the Adv use oil, even at this advanced age...

I finish checking out of the hotel, then get kitted up in waterproof mode. I put the shower cap on the tank bag, put on my lightweight waterproof gloves and plug in my heated jacket. I'm on the road at 0845 heading southwest along the N322...

i-LtCPfnn-L.jpg

The autumn colours are vivid...

i-wKT5QJK-L.jpg

Pretty soon the rain stops and I go into dry weather mode...

i-7mRSvg6-L.jpg

I notice that the pair of running lights I have fitted - each if which has three LED lights - have identical failures - each now has two LEDs working. :confused:

i-qDDS4Sx-L.jpg

Onward!

i-SpMqNrF-L.jpg

The N322 this side of Albacete is as good as it is the other - a great road, although I have to keep my speed down due to the wet road surface. It passes through several small villages - I hardly see a soul...

i-msdwNsW-L.jpg

I'm reminded to watch my speed regularly. I also see several police vehicles. The local police have small patrol vehicles, but I notice that the traffic police have Alfa Romeos.

i-MdLHNCF-L.jpg

Sometimes the road is as straight as a ruler for miles...

i-ZtJKbLn-L.jpg

I get the impression this is a poor area - the fields that are tilled are full of rocks...

i-VrpHHNp-L.jpg

There are wind farms everywhere. This is Don Quixote country...

i-f3kJjMM-L.jpg

...he'd have a job tilting at windmills this size.

i-H5cdVxm-L.jpg

Random ruin - no sign to suggest what it might have been...

i-2dNMRPQ-L.jpg

The few cattle I see have huge cowbells around their necks...

i-FPFSbjX-L.jpg

Olive groves appear on every spare bit of land...

i-s2jC4Zv-L.jpg

...making the landscape almost looks like a piece of candlewick...

i-3kMBfZj-L.jpg

There's a fairly stiff breeze blowing, so I have to keep an eye out for vegetation on the road...

As I round a left hand bend there's a flash of movement from right to left in front of me as two deer bound up the bank to my left...

i-ZTkQDLf-L.jpg

...where one of them watches me for a few seconds, before turning and trotting off into the brush...

i-bhDQmTs-L.jpg

I'm assuming they are deer - wild goats perhaps??

i-dn9RrsW-L.jpg

The road surface is beginning to dry out, and the bends become more fun...

i-LXJdtW3-L.jpg

...this is a lovely part of the world - and this is a great time of year to be here...

i-nqFqdzF-L.jpg

I take a breather and scoff the contraband bananas...

i-J4MJS5F-L.jpg

Not too many takers for the picnic area at this temperature, though...

i-PFk9g3P-L.jpg

Right - let's get going.

Almost immediately, I ride into a small town with a beautiful avenue of plane trees in its main street...

i-bDRL8b6-L.jpg

Random warnings are everywhere...

i-TD5h6nH-L.jpg

Blue sky makes an appearance on the horizon - huzzah!

i-Zf4hkp4-L.jpg

Odd-looking rock formation with caves...

i-mFxnDnd-L.jpg

More and more of the landscape is devoted to olive groves...

i-V6gGRQC-L.jpg

...the trees are spaced this way so that vehicles can move between and around them - the tyres tracks visible in the soft reddish mud...

i-4W2J7Rj-L.jpg

Some local is just finishing off this house - complete with en-suite windmill...

i-frqTCVV-L.jpg

It's 1100 when I cross into Andalucía. The intermittent rain stops almost at the border and the sun comes out...

i-frTkKJb-L.jpg

Now here, olives are farmed on an industrial scale. I see no sign of small farms, just massive factory units every few miles...

I stop for fuel at 1110 and drink some water, noticing that the local police have little 4x4s up here...

i-LgKNwsb-L.jpg

It's turning into a nice day...

i-vTDBTRt-L.jpg

...but I'm over half a mile high up here...

i-7Vwzfr6-L.jpg

...so I don't make assumptions about the weather staying this way...

i-nftMRtx-L.jpg

Generations of sheep or goats trudging on the same trails year in, year out have left their mark on this hill like contour lines on a map.

i-Vg9vTWN-L.jpg

I assumed this sign meant bad road surface (I have turned onto a small county road and the surface is pretty crap) - but I have just done a translation on it and it would appear it may 'No Road Signs' - can anyone help me out with this one?
185989574_Rd8YN-Ti.gif

From time to time there is evidence of where a landslip has been cleared away...

i-J3tD525-L.jpg

Fortunately, there are enough clues approaching these sites to allow me to slow down and negotiate them carefully...

i-nrsWt6R-L.jpg

Onward!

i-QwwNST7-L.jpg

At midday I ride into the hilltop town of Hornos...

i-4h9Bvmc-L.jpg

...where buildings fit into the gaps between natural rock formations...

i-jLmgGgZ-L.jpg

The views are stunning...

i-xt8pCHW-L.jpg

...and the roads narrow and cobbled...

i-f2H7KCL-L.jpg

Right - time to wave farewell to Hornos...

i-NCSwQMh-L.jpg

...we have a long way to go yet. I ride down the right side of the lake you can see from Hornos. It's a man made lake and the water level is low. Ultimately I arrive at the dam at its head...

i-dsbFT3R-L.jpg

Not too exciting, really... :D

i-ZNmwBb7-L.jpg

I keep pressing along the valley...

i-h3sKkT5-L.jpg

Spot the dam?

i-bHw2j2p-L.jpg

The road surface is improved here...

i-ZhsmxXZ-L.jpg

...without too many potholes, but still with evidence of landslips - which clearly occur regularly...

i-LbXs52c-L.jpg

This spectacular waterfall high to my right...

i-xGRrqGj-L.jpg

...fed straight into a culvert beneath the road...

i-8j4sQPf-L.jpg

It is turning into a glorious day - 70 F and hardly any breeze...

i-2VtJsrP-L.jpg

Huge bushes of cacti (prickly pear?), line the road for a while...

i-fRnRBZX-L.jpg

Time to get moving - I'm getting hungry...

i-MmV5p5k-L.jpg

I very briefly join the N322 again - and spot this old gent adorning the roadside...

i-5scrvRS-L.jpg

Aside from being - obviously - what is generically known as a steam roller in the UK - can anyone shed any light as to how old it might be etc?
185989574_Rd8YN-Ti.gif

i-TfhTcx6-L.jpg

I am headed beyond that horizon - there's still a lot of cloud around those hills...

i-ngZMtHH-L.jpg

Where I am now, though - it's lovely... :thumb

i-Q7L5HjS-L.jpg

I start climbing again, and the weather turns a little duller...

i-RkvFhvW-L.jpg

Time for lunch, then...
185989776_hrYhz-Ti.gif

The special is:

i-5CSnb3Z-L.jpg

...a good, sticky paella to start, followed by...

i-G5k3fVJ-L.jpg

...calamari. Can't get much more Spanish than that! :D

Both dishes were piping hot and delicious. I forgo dessert and have a coffee instead - all for €9.

The light in the Gents toilet might not have passed Health & Safety...:D

i-sHXXgM5-L.jpg

Replete, I step out of the restaurant to find a steady drizzle falling. I get kitted up and set off...

i-cS8jGGs-L.jpg

I'm in the middle of hundreds of acres of olive groves now. They come up to the edge of the road and this is the kind of view I have for most of the next hour or so...

i-zbCjf6L-L.jpg

I stop at an overlook for this pic...

i-vDgNMDG-L.jpg

...which gives you some idea of the scale of the operation. The two irregularly shaped grey areas near the middle of the pic are arrays of solar panels...

i-RfhDxLd-L.jpg

This range of hills with its rocky crest straddled the landscape like a huge half buried stegosaurus...

i-fKmcSkD-L.jpg

The road still had a lot of fun in it, though...
190573285_PwX9z-Ti.gif

I fill up again at 1600. I'm going to be joining the dual carriageway for the last push soon, and won't make it on my remaining fuel...

i-T8DTJ2x-L.jpg

I notice mile after mile of irrigation duct on the left side of the road...

i-X3NQWSD-L.jpg

...and that the Adv has just rolled over 160k miles... :thumb

i-bZdb3r5-L.jpg

I join the dual carriageway towards Granada just as the rainfall starts to get heavy - good timing...

i-ZqphsZR-L.jpg

It looks like Hell on toast ahead, but the road always jinks away from the worst weather, just as I'm bracing for it... :thumb

i-GR9DQcb-L.jpg

I set my speed at 130kph and head towards Granada. Apart from a few hairy minutes when we descended through cloud, it was a good run, and Granada appeared out of the murk...

i-KgwPZ58-L.jpg

Interesting way to advise you to keep your distance...

i-dcrBSwh-L.jpg

In no time at all, I'm checking into the Hotel Sidorme...

i-grk2Q5X-L.jpg

...which has - as an added bonus for my €35 per night - secure underground parking :thumb

After dumping my gear in my room, I walk to the Carrefour supermarket next door to buy some dinner. I notice that Spanish ladies are being treated to the 'Shades of Grey' books...

i-VGxJwCH-L.jpg

I wander about, eventually buying some bread and ham.

How about some wine for €0.80?

i-fXrsVMZ-L.jpg

I have no idea what this is...

i-C9JrnhH-L.jpg

...or these, for that matter...

i-StNHrTN-L.jpg

I'm a bit concerned about the room they've put me in...

i-GPb6bfw-L.jpg

It has been a good day.

Where to tomorrow?

i-tPj4SC6-L.jpg

Great ride report and some good pictures to accompany it . I really look forward to catching up with your adventure . Ride safe and keep dry.
ATB Graeme :beerjug: :beerjug:

Another great instalment.:beerjug: Have a good ride today:thumb

8th November 2012

I checked the weather forecast last night - it didn't make good reading. If you wanted to head for good weather, then Granada was not the place to start. No problem - the local weather is meant to be fair, so I extend my stay for 24hrs and decide to do a local loop. It will be nice to ride the Adv relatively lightweight for a change...

i-8bMVhFS-L.jpg

I take the lift down to the basement and put the tank bag on the bike - I'm leaving most of the other stuff in the room, so the panniers are nearly empty. I ride out of the garage and fill up at the Carrefour service station next door. I'm out on the road heading north at about 0925...

i-Dtm5Ss2-L.jpg

I've programmed a loop of about 100 miles around the national parks north of Granada. Bettie steers me on the dual carriageway away from the city then turns me north...

i-Mjv83DS-L.jpg

It's obvious from the cloud I can see that I am in for a mixed bag of weather today...

i-pKJHS7j-L.jpg

There's a tiny white church right at the top of this rock...

i-38g8Sw4-L.jpg

I pass what I assume is the soccer stadium on my left...

i-WnT4TF2-L.jpg

I'm on more minor roads now - there was some kind of secure facility - military, probably, on the right - with guard towers...

i-VBJNR9n-L.jpg

...at the corners.

I'm now on a well-surfaced and fast road -similar to the N322 the other day. As it climbs into the mountains, a 'crawler lane' forms to the right...

i-3ggFPHZ-L.jpg

...to allow traffic to pass slow movers. Interestingly, though, there is a minimum speed limit of 70kph in the overtaking lane.

i-Jdznkkq-L.jpg

I'm soon in hill country and seeing the familiar geometric patterns of olive groves. It has rained quite heavily here, and the road is just drying out...

i-mpWvqtn-L.jpg

I turn off and enter several miles of twisty roads, much narrower than the one I've left, but well surfaced and marked...

i-vsTT5D3-L.jpg

The Adv's going well, so I get a bit of a shuffle on... :D

i-qBTwQRG-L.jpg

The hilltop town of Montefrio appears...

i-P5HWbRD-L.jpg

I ride down its tiny narrow cobbled streets...

i-NKPWKWz-L.jpg

...which have a single central gutter...

i-pBFnBBj-L.jpg

I take a couple of pics of the churches...

i-jz7DW2J-L.jpg

i-dZXtkNP-L.jpg

...and then blindly follow Bettie's directions and end up descending a slope I can only describe as terrifying. It was probably nothing - I tried taking pictures, but they don't portray the white knuckles I had descending to the main road at the bottom... :D

i-hCv5BRK-L.jpg

I get my breath back and take a few pictures of the rock formations at the base of the hill...

Moving on, I notice I'm going through an area of rather affluent looking housing...

i-2fTSXvh-L.jpg

Anyone have any idea what this might be, built in the front garden, though?
185988806_vWtYy-Ti.gif

i-3wst6wH-L.jpg

I wondered if it might be a bread oven or something - it just seemed a strange place to put it...

Do you think the owner of this house might just be in the olive oil business? :D

i-2jTpbZm-L.jpg

It's very pretty up in the hills...

i-ZmGtxcm-L.jpg

The roads are in good shape and pretty much empty.

i-hcszKQC-L.jpg

There is a habit of building cemeteries up high, so that ancestors have a good view for eternity...

i-LnFLDnP-L.jpg

This is their view - not bad, eh?

i-prW27JR-L.jpg

Onward!

i-Vw7HzWF-L.jpg

I expect it's the gardener's weekend off...

I found this little gem...

i-vSb26Kt-L.jpg

...hidden away in the centre of quite a modest little town.

i-XzDpbjc-L.jpg

Odd ruined towers dot hilltops throughout the area...

i-VWKsBBh-L.jpg

I ride on, and am beginning to feel a little peckish...

i-zvtDvrF-L.jpg

...and decide to stop at the next cafe/bar I see...

i-4cBtD7G-L.jpg

...but nothing turns up for a while...

i-NRnR2jQ-L.jpg

...so I keep riding and snapping away...

i-VTtDgDc-L.jpg

At last - and at almost exactly at the halfway mark...

i-mtxc47W-L.jpg

...I come across this roadhouse and have the house special, which today is:

i-63qHkZJ-L.jpg

Scrambled eggs with green beans and chorizo - which tasted a LOT better than it looked
185989615_zzA5V-Ti.gif

...to start.

Whilst I am waiting for my main course to arrive, the heavens open...

i-vX8TWB5-L.jpg

It's pouring down. I decide to take my time over lunch... :D

The second course turns up:

i-LHh7M3W-L.jpg

...some kind of flatfish pan-fried in olive oil. Delicious...
185989776_hrYhz-Ti.gif

I should point out that nobody at the restaurant spoke English, and my Spanish is dormant, so I had no idea what I was ordering. It turned out to be a pleasant surprise... :D

The rain abates, but I decide to get kitted for wet weather as a precaution anyway. I have paid my €8 bill and am just getting kitted up, when Chrissie...

i-KnmvGT4-L.jpg

...asks me if I've really ridden my bike all the way from the UK. She and her family are ex-pats from the UK and have lived in Spain for several years now - she's sneaked out for a crafty smoke. We chat about this and that and it turns out she has good friends living about ten minutes away from my home...

I say goodbye and head off onto some very gnarly and under maintained roads...

i-pKcHkSh-L.jpg

My average speed drops considerably...

i-cQJXkrx-L.jpg

Three untethered horses trot across the road ahead of me...

i-4P5KddJ-L.jpg

I'm pretty sure the rain hasn't finished for today, though...

i-WtS3jsL-L.jpg

There seems to be some sort of disused (or little used - very overgrown) narrow gauge railway running through here - the bridges are still standing. Perhaps it's a method of collecting the olives and transporting them to a hub for collection?

I get back onto some decently surfaced roads. It's a crime that it's wet - this one would be fun in the dry...

i-xxqMnnL-L.jpg

I start making tracks - I'm going to have to start heading home tomorrow and I don't want to be writing late...

i-qL22mjC-L.jpg

The rain has cleared the air and you can see forever...

i-G8PVgvs-L.jpg

I spotted this old olive press decorating someone's garden...

i-bG6K3Nd-L.jpg

The skies clear and I make good time...

i-WN5V3FB-L.jpg

...back towards Granada...

i-HSWdD79-L.jpg

The bike...

i-48kHFbv-L.jpg

...might have to get a bit of a wash when I get back to the UK...

i-jNtm7hW-L.jpg

...for now, though, I join the A92 for the last 40km, arriving back at the hotel, after filling up, at 1700.

I start the photos uploading, then walk over to the supermarket and buy some dinner...

i-XJ6bML9-L.jpg

I can't ever remember seeing puppies for sale in pet shops in the UK...

i-GbDqSk8-L.jpg

keep it coming Mike :clap :clap

Please tell me you didn't have puppies for dinner.:eek: I know the Spanish are a little odd, but selling puppies in a supermarket seems like a Chinese idea:D

9th November 2012

It’s time to start heading back north.

I looked at the map last night, and then at the weather forecast. It’s not going to be easy to find a dry route from Granada, but it looks like heading towards Madrid might be the best bet.

I book a reasonably priced room in Guadalajara, northeast of the capital, and get an early night.

Waking this morning, I am dismayed to see that the forecast ‘broken cloud’ has been rather inaccurate…

i-4QnwbCk-L.jpg

Hey-ho...

I have some breakfast then kit up for a period of wet weather. I leave my sheepskin seat cover in the pannier, as I am convinced that sitting in the sodden mass of it a few days ago didn't help keep me dry.

I filled up last night, so get fully kitted in the underground garage and then set off at about 0920...

i-VZDVQ3G-L.jpg

It's every bit as miserable as it looks. Bettie steers me onto the main dual carriageway out of town...

i-3Fc9LBX-L.jpg

...and as I leave the outskirts of Granada, the heavens open. I quickly put the camera away under the shower cap on the tank bag and hunch down to minimise the surface area exposed to the drenching torrent. I am keeping up 130kph and the road has very little traffic on it. A single drop of water - exquisitely icy cold - runs slowly down my sternum and I find I've failed to do up my Velcro fastened collar. I put this right and ride on.

This lasts for two hours, at the end of which I have covered 130 miles and stop to refuel...

i-5GZbPzJ-L.jpg

A trio of sports bike riders are refuelling - all Spaniards. I fill up with Super Unleaded, give them a wave and ride on...

i-rnCvLCv-L.jpg

The weather doesn't abate - it's nasty. I retrieve the camera from its waterproof lair for a second to get a pic of this huge silhouette of a fighting bull. They appear prominently on high ground all around Spain and are adverts for the Osborne Sherry Company.

Just after entering the province of Toledo, the rain starts to abate. The skies gradually get lighter, then some blue appears. I'm quite cold, as the water in my suit is starting to evaporate and chilling me as it does so. Unfortunately this is the time my heated jacket decides not to play...
bluduh.gif

I press on, not bothering to stop - it's not far to the hotel...

i-DpXszwG-L.jpg

A slightly drier bull.

i-KmjLm38-L.jpg

Still heading north towards Madrid, the weather is now quite pleasant...

i-V69Bq2p-L.jpg

These boards are all over the place too - they show a black silhouetted man with a red jacket and hat on - I believe they are sherry adverts too...

i-XJVLQKF-L.jpg

Skirting around the south-eastern corner of Madrid, I am struck by the amount of graffiti there is. Every vertical surface seems to have been painted on. It was something that I've noticed generally about Spain - spray paint everywhere...

i-dKPzQpb-L.jpg

At 1315 I stop and fill up, then check into my hotel...

i-Qm7kMN6-L.jpg

...with its very pleasant ground floor room. The Adv lives outside under a carport...

i-ChjRBbQ-L.jpg

I have a relaxing afternoon reading.

Where to tomorrow?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom