Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 4: Another Ramble

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Good one Rob

Not too far, or for too long I assume ..... no panniers

Bring it on

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Go east !... go further into to the Dark Side !!!

Oooh, that video of Focus is just great.

What memories. Bought Focus III on vinyl when it came out in '73. I was 16 and scooting about on a Puch Maxi.

Played that LP over, and over again, much to the annoyance of my old Dad.
    He was a bit of a hi-fi buff and had an ever increasing jazz classics on Stereo 8 Club (I think thats what it was called). Still got them wrapped up in the loft.

Anyway Rob, have a good and safe trip. The rufty tufty photograph and then the Ronald McDonald in the next shot made me chuckle.

Keep 'em coming.

I ain't got no stinkin' visa! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8roberto View Post
    I'm at the 'House of a hundred beers' buddy.. its not going to get better any time soon
    If you're at the right one, they do “two horse turds on hay” Served on a shovel, I believe

Should be good for a photo?

ballistic

did you do any herfstbock while in nl??

its nice only they dont do pints.......(go to cafe cheerz in goirle and they will )

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Good one Rob

Not too far, or for too long I assume ..... no panniers

Bring it on

Cheers matey

Still got enough to keep me out here a while.. to be fair the panniers had a lot of camping stuff and other niceties that aren't really needed.

Don't want to miss the Chrimbo party season though eh..

Quote Originally Posted by yamonda1 View Post
    Go east !... go further into to the Dark Side !!!
    .. could well be

Quote Originally Posted by dr nosh View Post
    Oooh, that video of Focus is just great.

What memories. Bought Focus III on vinyl when it came out in '73. I was 16 and scooting about on a Puch Maxi....

Anyway Rob, have a good and safe trip. The rufty tufty photograph and then the Ronald McDonald in the next shot made me chuckle.

Keep 'em coming.
    Cheers! I think Mr Hairnet is responsible for the Focus. That said I do have 'House of the King' as part of the on board sounds. Thanks to Saxondale. I thought it was Jethro Tull.

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    If you're at the right one, they do “two horse turds on hay” Served on a shovel, I believe
    Didn't see that old chap. Mind you I was a bit cross-eyed by the finish

Quote Originally Posted by Hairnet600 View Post
    did you do any herfstbock while in nl??

its nice only they dont do pints.......(go to cafe cheerz in goirle and they will )
    Nope, a mere transit thru' Holland. Maybe on the way back..

'Ich bin ein Berliner'

Friday

The apartment is a very spacious affair and very centrally located. Possibly a little too centrally located.

Jake: How often do the trains go by?

Elwood: So often you won't even notice..

And so a grand little city break in Berlin is had. It is a terrific city to visit; there's a great energy and a vibrancy about the place.
    I should mention also that it is a very comfortable place to ride a bike around. I can't say I ever exactly look forward to mingling with the motorists in foreign cities on the bike, but this was pretty simple. The traffic is brisk but very predictable. The only things to really consider- watch for the cyclists, there sure are loads of those, and damp roads and lots of tram lines demand a bit of attention.

We had some decent time wandering the city.

We stop at the 'House of a hundred beers' (or 'one of' rather than 'the'.. I've got the feeling there might be a few of these places..)

You know, there's certainly a good enough choice beer wise..

The food is OK, nothing special at all, Nick describes his Pork thing as a 'bit of a swizz'. I have chicken and salad, to which I can report that Berlin's chicken and salad is just like Romford's chicken and salad.

Let's have one more.. This one is very much a chart climber of the personal beer top 40..

The evening sees us venture fown to the district of Kreuzberg which is, according to Nick's research a good spot for bar life. The research is good. We settle on a bar called the 'Cake Club'. There's some great music and a friendly vibe.

Me, I'm way long in the tooth for nightspots, but these places were just a little bit different. We settle in for some more beers and a cocktail or three. It's tough work, but someone has to do it

We tip our barman, a more friendly guy to strangers you could not find- and it's well received- we're given big, big cocktails at discounted prices

Now THAT'S a cocktail, eh?

A cool vibe..

And great retro music features..

Some things I haven't heard in a while..

A terrific giggle of an evening

On the way home we pick up quite simply the worst kebab I've ever had. You can't have everything I suppose..

Is it 5am already? Blimey.

Berlin, one of the best cities I've ever been to

The apartment is certainly well located, close enough for a pint of Stowford from the Irish Bar; The motorbike museum's just round the corner is ok, but the last time I went, I'd had far too many Berliner Pilsners to remember much

Kruezberg is brill, but you have to try Simon Dach Strasse too

and ask around for the "Burgermeister"....... damned good food at silly o'clock

Saturday

Hmmm.. Now, what to do in Berlin with a hangover? But of course. Drink coca cola and watch the A-team dubbed in German..

Mind you it was a good retro telly, and well in line with our thus far retro weekend. It was one of those episodes where they'd got a guest star in. Ken Norton was in it briefly and it looked like he'd been hitting the buffet.

But alas this is not the way forward.

So, we drag ourselves across the street to watch the Arsenal v Spurs game and partake in a King Ludwig Dunkel, strictly for medicinal purposes as hair of the dawg you must understand.

It sort of works

We decide on an afternoon walk to blow out the cobwebs. More sights of the city..

Very Berlin, I'd say..

..as is this..

That's art then, is it?

A few arty types around capturing the landscape..

The night is again interesting. We visit a spot called 'White Trash, Fast Food'. There are various bands on ranging from the absolutely terrible to the pretty damned good. It certainly provides interesting start to the evening. We're treated the film 'Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead' which is playing on the screens the background; I retrieve a piece of glass from the roof of my mouth which has come from the beer glass.. Lucky me things didn't turn out nasty..
    Staropramen Red is the beer of choice this evening. Not German, I'll give you that, but Czech isn't too far away I s'pose.

An interesting bar configuration..

We head on to another bar. Again another decent place, just punctuated briefly by the unpleasantness of someone who tries to steal our drinks. It's a poncy White Russian Cocktail amongst a load of beers, so there's no mistake. I don't see anything- the first I see is Nick getting upset with this dick who is pretty drunk. Some unrelated and rude ponce wearing red specs sticks his oar in needlessly, telling us that 'This is the Anarchy that is Berlin'. I get a real chuckle about that.. wow, that’s some anarchy. I decide to hound this bloke for some fun. He looks a lot like Steve Jones from the Pyramid Game in his red glasses, so I continually ask about the Pyramid Game, telling him about the bits I liked, the bits I didn't, asking how come he's not on telly any more, and what is it like being continuity link man for Anglia TV. Eventually he loses it and says 'Look I don't know what zis pyramid is OK' and pisses off in a huff.
    As a younger man I used to be able to conjur up a lot of funny waffle after a few drinks and all that has largely gone by the by now, but tonight finds me in a rare form..

I spend the best part of the rest of the evening chatting the charming Stef from Stuttgart and the lovely leggy Erica, a fellow Londoner. I've had far worse nights out, I can tell you

We tip out of the bar which is still going strong at half past five

The old and the new-ish.. The glitter ball of the Berliner Funsehterm tower in the mist behind St. Mary's Church..

My my, that's an arty stumble back to HQ.

Nick for some reason has bought a cheap bottle of Amaretto so we have a couple of them and cola.

Is it 7am already? Whoa kidda..

Herbaceous plants

Nick should not have drunk that....it would have flowered in the spring!

we know where you went

was the hangover bad??

Quote Originally Posted by mumpa View Post
    Berlin, one of the best cities I've ever been to ..
    Agreed.. excellent place.. will certainly want to come back again..

Quote Originally Posted by Hairnet600 View Post
    ..was the hangover bad??
    Not room-spinning awful but pretty bad..

Quote Originally Posted by fishbird View Post
    Nick should not have drunk that....it would have flowered in the spring!
    Think he's gonna flower instead Dave. See you at the Chrimbo bash

Sunday

Just a few hours kip last night. But I'm determined to do a little more culture and the novelty of 'Futurama' in German from an uncomfortable apartment sofa is short lived.

The DDR museum is a short walk from the our base so we make our way there. Sad, because it's very busy and I find it just phenomenally dull- and that's a shame because I have a lot of interest in the subject. Not recommended.

Some energy food is required..

And so it is on to more sights of the city..

Berliner Dom..

Just rambling..

We wander past the theatre and the roads are blocked with lots of Polizei..

Ah.. the reason for it looks to pass. Clearly the number plate 1-1 would seem to be important? The third car in the picture has the number plate 0-1. It actually turns out that it belongs to the German President (I didn't actually know Germany had a president.. duh) That said the President seemingly is only a figurehead as it were. I know they have a chancellor of course.. The Merkel car has the number plate 0-2. There you go. And thanks to Wikipedia.

We're not persuaded to see the Currywurst Museum..

Checkpoint Charlie..

..complete with decoration uniformed fella.

A bit of sticker hunting and tat browsing. Just what I always wanted..

Quality Euro tat, this

What a shame to see dear old Cliff in the reduced bin..?

The final night is spent in this charming little place..

We don't get there until late, but there's plenty of time for an ale. How about a nice crisp, frothy Schneider Weisse? You know it makes sense.

Due to our extended evenings time has become an abstract concept. Fortunately for us you can still order dinner at 11.30pm. I order a traditional local dish.. Known as breakfast lunch and dinner in one.. A goulash, with sausage and a boiled egg. It's a big hit with me.

My dear brother describes me as a 'Goulash removal machine'.

Of course it'd just be plain rude not to have the correct beer to partner this kind of good food, wouldn’t it… so its back to my good pal 'Kostrizer'..

Berlin most definitely gets the Official 'Ramble Seal of Approval'

Goulash , boiled egg and Kostrizer........ would'nt like to clean out your cage

Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Excellent stuff Rob' - Crack-on!

PUI since 2004

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
    Crack-on!
    Is that an egg joke, sorry yolk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast