Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    Is that an egg joke, sorry yolk
    Tis a Northern term of encouragement: "Crack-on ar kid!"

PUI since 2004

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by mcinlb View Post
    Goulash , boiled egg and Kostrizer........ would'nt like to clean out your cage
    Nothing to clean out at the moment mate.. hmm.. wonder why

Quote Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
    Excellent stuff Rob' - Crack-on!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    Is that an egg joke, sorry yolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
    Tis a Northern term of encouragement: "Crack-on ar kid!"

Berlin to Colditz

Nick heads off for the airport just before 9am and I pack up.

The bike sat for four nights right in the heart of the town.. opposite a central train station.. in the red light district.. by an Irish Pub (as mumpa correctly observed.. ).. and adjacent to a kebab shop... and was left alone.. no problems
    Just can't see that happening in London somehow?

Ready for the off..

I've got me a new sticker..

And off we go. It's warmer today than it has been. That's welcome- a lovely seven degrees. Perfect.

A short visit to the wall memorial area..

..just an amazing story the past of this city..

..a very interesting and intriguing sight to see..

Then a quick coffee courtesy of Einstien's...

And it's all systems a go-go

I've still got the soundtrack of the city from the partying knocking about in my head.

The route South takes me through Friedrichstrasse on the bike, so I pass by the Checkpoint again..

'You are now leaving the Alcoholic Sector'

There's simply an incredible amount of traffic lights in Berlin and it is a fair while of first-gear-second-gear-halt before the pace picks up a bit.

On the outskirts of town I spy a 'Polo' store and head in for a look. Dear Micky of this parish introduced me to the place on a trip back in 2006 and I've always picked up odd bits and bobs here when I'm about. They're sort of a Hein Gericke kind of place; they seem to have more variety and some more unusual stuff that we don't seem to get at home anywhere- and it’s pretty decent value.

I end up buying this thing, a 'Storm Boy' balaclava and thermal collar affair. It will save me having to do myself up like a Tuareg when its very cold again.

I also buy one of those 'Remove before Flight' tags, a most excellent aid for the dyspraxic such as myself. One of those saved me when I dropped my key in to one of the confectionary displays at Tesco Express a few years back. For the life of me, I can't remember where I got that one, so I get another one.

And then it's fairly insipid enough riding and at a relaxed and sedate pace. It's about eight degrees and misty but thankfully not foggy. The terrain is flat and a bit dull heading South West, and the roads I choose are not particularly challenging. Traffic is rare, so in terms of riding this would probably only generate a score of 3/10.

Stopping on the way somewhere or other..

As I near the end of the ride today the terrain starts to get a more interesting as I zig zag across to the destination.

Ah, there you go.. a Trabi! You don't need to visit the poxy DDR museum for that..

And finally an arrival. Colditz square.. The castle up there in the background.

I negotiate the damp cobbles up to the castle where the hostel is. 'Stay in a hostel' they said. 'You'll meet friendly travelling people' they said..
    'OK' says I.

It's just getting dark as I finally make my way in.

I march up through the gates and up the steps to the hostel. It's locked. Hmm. There's no one around. I buzz the door. Eventually there's an answer from the intercom. Do they have accommodation? I ask. 'Erm.. Yes' is the reply, and the door finally is opened.

'Sorry the door was locked' says the cheery host.. 'You will be the only guest so we didn't bother leaving it open' So I am guest number 1 out of a possible 161. Still, at least noise won't be a problem I suppose.

The girl says to bring my bike in to the courtyard. Very helpful.

I don't feel like doing much; some relaxing after the strenuous city activities is going to be just the ticket. I opt to yomp down to good old Lidl's which I can see from the view of the third floor of the Hostel.

Sorry, crap pic. I'm suffering with a spot of the Hattie Jacques.

Allow me to introduce the sponsors of this ride report..

Eleven Euros and seventy one cents worth of goodies are procured. And we march back up the hill..

..To where we've got ourselves a picnic at HQ..

Magic stuff. Can't beat it..

mmm corny

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Dear Rob ... keep it coming

Micky, of this Parish

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Colditz

Get yourself the extended tour of the castle unless you've bin before ,went there last year an it sure opens the imagination to the gutsy pow trying to escape

Quote Originally Posted by 1157 View Post
    Get yourself the extended tour of the castle unless you've bin before ,went there last year an it sure opens the imagination to the gutsy pow trying to escape

Colditz to Prague

A very peaceful sleep is had. All the radiators are turned up high and it's toasty, toasty warm.

Good morning. There's the bike down in the courtyard..

The hustle and bustle of the breakfast room..

I've decided to take a guided tour of the Castle, or 'Oflag IV-C' as it was known during WWII. I have heard good things about doing so. I check out of the hostel put the bits on the bike and then head across.

The very charming Annemarie is my guide. I'm the only person engaging in the castle tour (although to be fair there are a few folks milling around).. so am given the very personal service tour. How very civilised. It was terrific little hour and a quarter. Very special. Annemarie was great, engaging and really enthusiastic, a joy to listen to.

Checking out the accommodation for the important prisoners. Thankfully the beds are a bit better in the hostel these days..

The pictures are those taken by the Germans of attempted escapees in their disguises. Here is Airey Neave who failed an escape disguised as a lowly Wermacht soldier.. but eventually made it out disguised as an officer, later to become an MP and part of the Shadow Cabinet. In the background is the French Officer Lt. Bouley who failed dressed as a lady.

The French Tunnel.. An amazing part of the story

Archeologists working in the Chapel (also where the French tunnel ran up to and beneath)..

A bit of work going on, which is why the Allied officers are featured behind a skip and an Audi.

Plan drawings of the Colditz glider. When the war ended the built glider was in the roof of one of the buildings ready to go.

The roof it would be launched from, way up top..

..And the meadow, way across the river where it would be planned to land.

Checking out the details..

The tour was truly fascinating; I can't speak highly enough of it. You get a real sense of the place. The whole experience an absolute winner

So time is knocking on and I'd better get on then. It's just after 1pm when I set off from the Castle.

Annemarie tells me the Trabant in the car park belongs to her

Off we go. Riding is grand straight off the bat. Ups and downs and some good km's done on those glorious and typical narrow German minor roads with no centre markings, just the two kerb lines. If you've been there… you'll know exactly what I mean.

A little time is caught courtesy of a modest run on one of Deutschland's famous fast strips of tarmac..

Back to standard roads thereafter to cross into Czech. The hills are rolling and I can see heavier conditions up in the distance. And then I'm hit by fog again. Aargh…! This is heavy stuff. Visibility goes down to fifty feet or so. More than a bit nervy. Don't go too fast of course- but be careful not to go to slowly as to get bashed from behind you. Plus, doesn't matter what pinlock or spray you have, the fog collects on the visor. Rub visor, check in front, check mirror, repeat. Tricky.

The fog lifts a little as we head over the border..

I stop up there on the left, getting a real sense of Déjà vu.. Ah yes.. It's the border petrol station we filled up at during our Easter 2010 Gastro tour..

Welcome to the Czech Republic..

The weather closes in again as we head in towards Prague. Again tricky riding… much concentration needed.. Yada yada yada.'

The fog lifts and I decide to have a play on a few interesting looking roads. Enjoyable stuff. I work my way in and reach Prague. There's some filtering to be done in the last mile or so but the drivers move out of the way. I've taken Bryn's recommendation of the Seven Days hotel. Thanks for that

The bike sits down in a very small car park but it is below the hotel and safely behind a roller shutter. I don't think I'd be quite as comfortable as leaving it on the street here as I was in Berlin; there's a Tattoo bar across the road.. And I mean tattoo and a bar, Pilsner Urquell etc.. (how they mix those disciplines I don't know and don't want to know), and a shop or two down there's a sex shop and a winner of a jazzmag parlour.

The hotel itself is very nice indeed. A good room, nice bed, big bath enough for moi and an armada of rubber ducks, close to the old town and a safe place for the bike.

I have an evening wander. It's still pretty misty even in the centre of the city..

Pretty place by night, the old town..

.. And we've got to have one of these, naturally

are yo are a savior sir , another decent read whilst she watch's celebrity twats in an overgrown garden
    Dont Bogart that joint my friend, pass it over to me

Nice one Rob

another cracking read........so where you heading for?

Quote Originally Posted by carl8gs View Post
    another cracking read........so where you heading for?
    Be patient .. the anticipation of 'where next ?' is part of it all

Cheers all

Sadly I think circumstances are going to disappoint you

getting away with it so far! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    That's one hell of a cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by tuftywhite View Post
    That's one hell of a cliffhanger.
    oooh, eek.. good point, that.. I should say nothing catastrophic

getting away with it so far! Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by gr8roberto View Post
    oooh, eek.. good point, that.. I should say nothing catastrophic
    So the Czech Republic haven't run out of beer then?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast