Bwlch y Groes takes no prisoners

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Possibly one of the hardest rides I've done today.

Eight and a half hours and 5 hours to cover 4 miles ffs:mad::blast Bwylch y Groes is in fine shape.

Not many photos but here's Finn's XChallenge which suffered knackered gear lever and fooked clutch, definately NOT the bike to take there as I'm sure Finn will agree:D:D

CA_11061219371480-XL.jpg

Stopped for a breather where the going got easier..... for about 10 meters

CA_11061219374443-XL.jpg

Think we'll all sleep well tonight!!

Possibly one of the hardest rides I've done today.

Not many photos but here's Finn's XChallenge which suffered knackered gear lever and fooked clutch, definately NOT the bike to take there as I'm sure Finn will agree:D:D

CA_11061219371480-XL.jpg

I've come that conclusion with the XChallenge

It's no single track bike - bet the fan was on all the time too

You need a proper trailbike or enduro bike for stuff like that

Is that clumps of snow:eek:

I must come out with you lot again

I've come that conclusion with the XChallenge

It's no single track bike - bet the fan was on all the time too

You need a proper trailbike or enduro bike for stuff like that

Yes definately, it's too low, too wide, too heavy, gear lever poorly situated good on the bigger tracks though:thumb

Poor Finn was getting stopped on even the slightest single track rut, then the clutch virtually gave out and it took the strength of the four of us to get all the bikes across.....I don't think any of us had anything left for any more when we got down to Dolwyddelan just as darkness fell......Finn and Gareth had to then ride back to Mold:blast:D

We did that with Gaz's XC 5 years ago in the summer...........that was when i were keen :blast :tears Never again and I don't think Gaz has wanted to do it again,,,, I dunno why :confused:

We did that with Gaz's XC 5 years ago in the summer...........that was when i were keen :blast :tears Never again and I don't think Gaz has wanted to do it again,,,, I dunno why :confused:

Ha ha not suprised.:D

It had been a while since I'd been over there but judging by the ground there's not been many bikes recently, possibly as it's been so wet and it's become more difficult in places:bounce1

Probably better to do it N to S at the moment.

few pics

Before the grading of some of the tracks

P1100030a.jpg

P1100041a.jpg

P1100052.jpg

Good one Knobby, had some fun there in the past:D
225290617_g5ZF4-XL.jpg

Do you recognise this Demon in Bwlych y Groes.....on a Husaberg?:eek:
225296432_2ffLr-XL.jpg

Ian Lynch was telling me that many moons ago Bwlch Y Groes was his very first TRF ride. He was on a KLR650:clap

Ah Knobby happy days.

I was most upset when they all wanted to fluck off back home when we hit tarmac and not carry on with the ride.
P5030029.jpg

That looks positively frightening to try on anything other than a trailie. :D

I am bolloxed any one ever mention that place never to be mentioned im off!!!
Deffo no an xc route especially in winter
6agejy4e.jpg

This is where it started to go wrong
9uqu9usy.jpg

Then got worse
buzy8a7y.jpg

And worse
dupedy9u.jpg

You knew i wouldn't that opportunity pass me by
ejubuje2.jpg

Tims berg having a frontal bath
u7y3yjy7.jpg

Im never going here again!!!

I am bolloxed any one ever mention that place never to be mentioned im off!!!
Deffo no an xc route especially in winter
6agejy4e.jpg

This is where it started to go wrong
9uqu9usy.jpg

Then got worse
buzy8a7y.jpg

And worse
dupedy9u.jpg

You knew i wouldn't that opportunity pass me by
ejubuje2.jpg

Tims berg having a frontal bath
u7y3yjy7.jpg

Im never going here again!!!

Hope you haven't damaged it:eek:

Wgat you need is a nice WR:D

BYG has to be one the toughest legal long trails in the uk and seems to have become even more difficult:)

My little Beta coped with it admirably :clap

Unfortunately I didn't :D

got to say big up to Gaz, Steve and Tim although we all had problems at times the x really was a lump to get round i think the bit from the 3rd picture took 2 hours to go maybe 200 metres:eek: before the gear lever finally wasnt useable at 90% and under the footpeg
maybe the x isnt the tool for the job
for sale 1 careful owner clutch slipping a little:hide
maybe a nice little 250 4s honda will be on my christmas list:clap
although Steves super dooper KTM did have its problems as well:toungincheek
Many thanks gaz PLEASE DONT INVITE ME AGAIN:pullface

got to say big up to Gaz, Steve and Tim although we all had problems at times the x really was a lump to get round i think the bit from the 3rd picture took 2 hours to go maybe 200 metres:eek: before the gear lever finally wasnt useable at 90% and under the footpeg
maybe the x isnt the tool for the job
for sale 1 careful owner clutch slipping a little:hide
maybe a nice little 250 4s honda will be on my christmas list:clap
although Steves super dooper KTM did have its problems as well:toungincheek
Many thanks gaz PLEASE DONT INVITE ME AGAIN:pullface

I don't think it was ever designed for conditions like that, maybe the G450 was

I find the X good at open going, with wide trails like Wayfarers etc

We have loads of that up here, so that what it gets used for

12 months ago, I bought a good 15yo XR250 again for £1k for the more extreme stuff, spent a couple of hundered on it and now it's perfect balance of weight/power/suspension for winter riding or single track

I know that if I can't ride it out, at least I can 'walk' it or push/drag it out

I know a KTM/Husaberg/Husky has more power and better suspension but to me it doesn't matter - the XR is a lovely bike

Prices of old XR's and DR350's are rising fast on Ebay, because people now realise that for trailriding that's all they need perhaps and they are dead reliable with correct owner maintenance, which is a cinch:thumb

I don't think it was ever designed for conditions like that, maybe the G450 was

I find the X good at open going, with wide trails like Wayfarers etc

We have loads of that up here, so that what it gets used for

12 months ago, I bought a good 15yo XR250 again for £1k for the more extreme stuff, spent a couple of hundered on it and now it's perfect balance of weight/power/suspension for winter riding or single track

I know that if I can't ride it out, at least I can 'walk' it or push/drag it out

I know a KTM/Husaberg/Husky has more power and better suspension but to me it doesn't matter - the XR is a lovely bike

Prices of old XR's and DR350's are rising fast on Ebay, because people now realise that for trailriding that's all they need perhaps and they are dead reliable with correct owner maintenance, which is a cinch:thumb

Yes, I see the price of Morris Minors is also climbing:p

Yes, I see the price of rubbish old Jap enduro bikes is also climbing:p

You know it makes sense:D

People seem to be buying 5-8 year old aircooled XR's with a passion at present..................must be cheaper than a 4T engine rebuild on your European KTM and Husaberg exotica:p

I think given the condition of BYG you wouldn't be able to get any bike out if it broke down.

15 yrs ago I did break down on a DR350 there but it was nearer to the end on the downhill section and we did eventually get the heap of shite out.....next day I bought my first XR250:D

The best bike I've seen tackling BYG?

Without a doubt a Honda C90. high level exhaust and knobblies:bow
225298537_PLvtf-XL.jpg

225291259_GrAxb-XL.jpg

Even then it can go tits up :D
225289189_5Ph89-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom