INDICATORS the law please

ajreds1

Reaction score
Hi, can any one advice me on the law regarding indicators.
I have a "R" reg XR250, just been pulled by Mr Plod was trying to do me for not having indicators, I told him that it had never had them fitted , doesnt even have the switch on the handle bars. He couldnt make his mind up and did me for a small numberplate on the rear instead.
I have been carrying a bigger plate in the rear pouch (snapped in half) and told him every time i fit a bigger plate it snps off. He was adamant he was going to get me for something so issued a £60.00 fixed penalty fine no points. any advice welcome.
cheers

Waiting to see what Members in the know have to say

My first question is Were you Bolshy with said Plod ?? and was the small number plate Very small or just reduced with "nearly" legal sized letters/numbers

If not and you feel his treatment of you was overzealous i.e. Did you note his shoulder number and what station he was working from So you can write a letter of complaint?

(c) Lighting Equipment and Reflectors:
(i) Direction Indicators - on motorcycles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must
be approved to EC Directive* 76/759, 93/92, Chapter 2 of 97/24 or to ECE
Regulation 6 or 50;
(ii) Stop Lamps and Front and Rear Position Lamps - on motorcycles first
used on or after 1 April 1986 must be approved to EC Directive* 76/758, 93/92,
Chapter 2 of 97/24 or ECE Regulation 7 or 50;
(iii) Rear Reflectors - on motorcycles first used before 1 April 1991 must comply
with the requirements of British Standard AU 40. If first used after 1 April 1991
they must be approved to EC Directive* 76/757, 93/92, Chapter 2 of 97/24 or to
ECE Regulation 3;
(iv) Rear Registration Plate Lamp - on motorcycles first used on or after 1 April
1986 must be approved to EC Directive* 76/760, 93/92 and Chapter 2 of 97/24 or
to ECE Regulation 4 or 50;
(v) Headlamps - the regulations set minimum wattage requirements for dipped
and main beam headlamps according to the cubic capacity of motorcycles.
Headlamps on motorcycles are not required to have any approval markings, and
(vi) As a general condition the regulations require ride

Above from http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/additiona...icle-type-approval-for-motorcycles/vca039.pdf

BUT The bike has to be manufactured before 1986. to be exempt from indicators,- but their is a loophole that says that "if the motorcycle is predominately used for off road motor sport it may not have indicators fitted."

No indicators required with off road tyres fitted. But I think that any rear foot pegs need to be removed.

No indicators required with off road tyres fitted. But I think that any rear foot pegs need to be removed.

Don't think that's the official wording but 50% right

A motorcycle, primarily designed for solo off-road use and that can only carry the rider, with no provision for a pillion (pegs, mounts or grab handle/strap) is not required to have indicators fitted

XR250's have never been fitted with them

Some XR400's did (they were originally intended for the German Market) and found their way onto the UK market as parallel imports

Waiting to see what Members in the know have to say

My first question is Were you Bolshy with said Plod ?? and was the small number plate Very small or just reduced with "nearly" legal sized letters/numbers

If not and you feel his treatment of you was overzealous i.e. Did you note his shoulder number and what station he was working from So you can write a letter of complaint?

Above from http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/additiona...icle-type-approval-for-motorcycles/vca039.pdf

BUT The bike has to be manufactured before 1986. to be exempt from indicators,- but their is a loophole that says that "if the motorcycle is predominately used for off road motor sport it may not have indicators fitted."

The above quote does not say that the bike has to be manufactured before 1986 to be exempt from indicators.

It says a bike manufactured after 1986 must have indicators that COMPLY with the directive. I.e. be E marked

The exemption for motorcycles manufactured before 1st April 1986 is a general exemption (ie all machines built before that date).

The specific exemption for "off-road" machines is in Table II, Schedule 7: Part I, of this:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made

A vehicle which is constructed or adapted primarily for use off roads (whether by reason of its tyres, suspension, ground clearance or otherwise) and which can carry only one person or which, in the case of a motor bicycle combination, can carry only the rider and one passenger in the sidecar.

The exemption for motorcycles manufactured before 1st April 1986 is a general exemption (ie all machines built before that date).

The specific exemption for "off-road" machines is in Table II, Schedule 7: Part I, of this:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made

By 'all machines' Mike I assume you mean all motorcycles first used on a road before 1st April 1986 ?

The above quote does not say that the bike has to be manufactured before 1986 to be exempt from indicators.

It says a bike manufactured after 1986 must have indicators that COMPLY with the directive. I.e. be E marked
Wrong it says before 1986 "Except" but that "if the motorcycle is predominately used for off road motor sport it may not have indicators fitted."

Don't think that's the official wording but 50% right

A motorcycle, primarily designed for solo off-road use and that can only carry the rider, with no provision for a pillion (pegs, mounts or grab handle/strap) is not required to have indicators fitted

XR250's have never been fitted with them

Some XR400's did (they were originally intended for the German Market) and found their way onto the UK market as parallel imports

All the ones I bought new, from Honda main dealers in the 1990's were registered fine by them

And all those XR250s are happily MOTed every year as well (yes, there's a distinction between an MOT and Construction and Use, but it's still worth bearing in mind)

My KTM is from 2004 and doesn't have indicators as it is an enduro bike, therefore meeting the criteria JB mentioned above.

Although the law states that the bike should be "predominately used for off road motor sport", what that means is that was the manufactured purpose, not necessarily the way that you use it.

Back
Top Bottom