1930 Sturmey Archer Type LS240 Gearbox

Sturmey Panther

Hi Bob

I`ve got one of those too probably needs as much work as yours
lots missing etc 1927....still optimistic
Interested in any links to parts you may have, would post a photo when I work out how to..

Cheers Nick

Interested in any links to parts you may have, would post a photo when I work out how to..

Hi Nick,

This box is pre-1930 (clutch and bearings changed then) and Rab now thinks that the bike is a 1927 model - only around 200 were made.

This is the latest picture from Skye . . .

Startofassembly-Jan2013.jpg

I now have the motor (well, most of it, it was stripped 60 years ago and some parts have been lost - including the mag/dyno :mad:).

I'll put up some pics of the engine when I've taken some. There is a lot of work to do on it :blast.

I have also made progress with the gearbox and I'll put more pics up soon.

I should really be doing this on the "Panther Owners' Club" site, but I get more interest here :thumb.

I think we need to hold our discussions off-line, I'll PM you.

Bob.

Last edited:
Interested in any links to parts you may have,

DOH :blast I can't PM you, I guess you're not a paid-up member :nenau.

I have got gearbox parts from these guys: http://en.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=1.

They are good to work with, but nothing is cheap - a used gear pinion and a new kickstart spring came to £93.00.

Restoring an old bike can cost at least £10K !

Do you know any other UKGSer members to whom I can PM my contact details ??

Bob.

Well, here's the next instalment in the saga of the 'Big Pussy' :D.

No pics of the motor yet but this is what I've done on the gearbox.

I have turned-up a second kickstart sleeve. This time I ran the lathe in reverse with the cutting tool inverted as that let me start at the shoulder and then cut cleanly into the open air. Running it the other way gives me problems as I have to stop the lathe before the cutting tool hits the shoulder at the end of the thread. Its a heavy chuck on a very heavy drive mechanism and I have mis-judged it a couple of times :blast.

This new approach works but I'm still not satisfied. I'll make a third one sometime.

Here is No 2 with No 1 alongside. I have left the new one a bit long and I'll trim it to size later.

DSCN1129.jpg

On this occasion, I finished the machining with the sleeve in the end cover. This worked and if I screw the alignment mandrel I made at the beginning into the face plate . . .

DSCN1130.jpg

It aligns perfectly with the new sleeve. The first one was a couple of thou' out and when I trued it up it was a bit too slack on the shaft. :blast.

DSCN1133.jpg

DSCN1136.jpg

Now for the kickstart shaft . . This runs on the end of the layshaft and contains a large bronze bearing sleeve. The sleeve was worn allowing the kickstart to droop - putting weight on the alloy sleeve, which cracked-up.

DSCN1127.jpg

The worn sleeve is in here:

DSCN1126.jpg

I tried drawing the bronze sleeve out with a slide hammer, but it wasn't having any of that and refused to budge.

Only one thing for it then . .

DSCN1138.jpg

I used a Glanze boring tool like this:

DSCN1139.jpg

It didn't take long to reduce the bush to a shell.

DSCN1140.jpg

After which I used a sharpened 'Obo nail' to bend the wall in and free it. I didn't want to risk cutting into the shaft with the boring tool.

Notice the shoulder in the hole, the bearing sleeve has a flange on it.

DSCN1143.jpg

Next, I set up 250mm of (very expensive) hollow bronze rod in the lathe. These are supplied oversize which is fortunate as the nominal size is the same as the sleeve diameter (one inch).

DSCN1146.jpg

First it was trued to the flange diameter.

DSCN1147.jpg

Then the body was turned-down to just over the diameter of the hole. Finally I bored it to the diameter of the layshaft spigot.

DSCN1149.jpg

Here it is ready for pressing into the kickstart shaft. I made the flange thicker than necessart for two reasons.

1. I wanted plenty of metal on the flange when I pressed it in.

2. I intended to turn the face down to match the clearance in the kickstart gear rather than go from measurements of the old bush.

DSCN1150.jpg

And here it is pressed-in and face-turned to the finished depth.

DSCN1153.jpg

The kickstart shaft now attaches to the layshaft without any sag :thumb

DSCN1155.jpg

Of course, once 'Robmack' has been jumping up and down on the kickstart for a while things may be different :augie.

So, tick-off one more item from the task list :thumb.

I now have the 500cc motor (or, most of it). If anyone is interested I'll start another restoration thread for that.

Anyone interested ???

Bob.

I now have the 500cc motor (or, most of it). If anyone is interested I'll start another restoration thread for that.

Anyone interested ???

Bob.

Oh go on then, if you insist.......................

YES PLEASE BOB - I've really enjoyed following all your hard work, please don't stop now! :)

Andres

As usual very impressive work Bob, have you not got anything better to do? :D
I have taken your advice and bought some Glanze tooling for the lathe but I am a while away at bronze bushings and kick start sleeves.
Looking forward to seeing what state the internals are like in that old motor.
Picked up a BTH magneto Today needs a rebuild though but at least I now have one.
Were getting there:thumb2

Looking forward to seeing what state the internals are like in that old motor.
Picked up a BTH magneto Today needs a rebuild though but at least I now have one.
Were getting there:thumb2

Good news, Is it the same as this ??:

BOA-010.jpg

This is a 1927 P&M that "British Only Austria" sold recently, I 'borrowed' the pictures from their site to help with the restoration.

Next Sunday I'll be at the "Haggis Bash Autojumble" at Lanark and I'll keep my eyes open for anything useful. I suspect you haven't got the alloy chaincase for the dynamo drive - I guess that will be as rare as hens' teeth :tears.

BOA-002.jpg

BOA-020.jpg

There is a Panther in the National Motorcycle Museum, it has a kickstart lever stop on the gearbox that explains why I found a broken 1/4" BSF stud in the gearbox cover. I'll have to make one:

NickSaxby-Panthergearboxclose-up.jpg

There isn't much info about on these bikes, but pictures of similar ones are starting to surface :thumb.

Bob.

I love this thread! :clap
Old engines - gearboxes in particular fascinate me - so elegant, simple, beautiful.
I would love to have the ability to do the work you're doing - but i dont.
So :bow keep posting please.

Back
Top Bottom