Collection of Signed Motorcycle Racers from the 60s & 70s

Paul Rochdale

Reaction score
Some years ago I began to collect photographs of riders I'd seen racing during the 1960s and were my heroes. I've just come across them not gaving seen them for some years so I thought I'd share them with you. The identity of the riders is probably self explanitory but shout up if I can help.

Attachments

• MC-1.jpg
    MC-1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2,784
  • MC-2.jpg
    MC-2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,791
  • MC-3.jpg
    MC-3.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 2,339
Here are some more.

Attachments

• MC-4.jpg
    MC-4.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,442
  • MC-5.jpg
    MC-5.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,422
  • MC-6.jpg
    MC-6.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,599
Some more.

Attachments

• MC-7.jpg
    MC-7.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,617
  • MC-8.jpg
    MC-8.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 1,527
  • MC-9.jpg
    MC-9.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,405
And more.

Attachments

• MC-11.jpg
    MC-11.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,732
  • MC-13.jpg
    MC-13.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 1,578
  • MC-14.jpg
    MC-14.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,388
More.

Attachments

• MC-15.jpg
    MC-15.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,397
  • MC-16.jpg
    MC-16.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,635
  • MC-17A.jpg
    MC-17A.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,378
More.

Attachments

• MC-18.jpg
    MC-18.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,392
  • MC-19.jpg
    MC-19.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,608
  • MC-20.jpg
    MC-20.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,404
That's it. All photos were either bought from the Mortons Photo Archive or found on the Net and printed on photographic paper. All were obtained either in person by me or by writing to the rider. Enjoy.

Attachments

• MC-21.jpg
    MC-21.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,352
  • MC-22.jpg
    MC-22.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,371
  • MC-23.jpg
    MC-23.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,348
T.superb photos....O

Simply brilliant photos, thanks for sharing them. I'm attempting to race a Norton next year and pictures like that help the motivation, especially as my engine is reluctant to come out of retirement!....
......should you ever decide to move them on, first dibs please!
Thanks again, great photos. :thumb2

Thanks but little was down to me. Much of the fun was searching for addresses or going to Goodwood's 'Festival of Speed'. I don't have much interest in modern riders although of course I admire their skill. It's got me thinking, I'll have to write to some more such as Mike (Michelle) Duff, Hugh Anderson and Percy Tate for instance. I have their addresses somewhere. I also have a similar collection of F1 World Champions including such greats as Fangio and Graham Hill.

PS And David Purley lived in (bugger) Bognor Regis, didn't he.

Brilliant!

...he most certainly did, a hero and sadly missed. The Amateur golfers play at Bognor Regis G.C. for the very prestigious Purley trophy. Times, people and values have changed, it appears not always for the better. Perhaps rose tinted glasses and all that.
Keep collecting the autographs and building the collection, I'm most envious and would love a wall covered with them. :beer:

I wonder if Derek Minter recovered when his rear wheel stepped out. Phil Read looking where he wants to go and not at Derek Minter crashing.

I stood in amongst a queue of little lads at the FoS waiting to get Barry Sheene to sign the photo. He was already showing signs of illness although he was riding a Manx that day. He finally said that enough was enough and he had to go. I desperately pushed the photo in front of him and it stopped him in his tracks. "Where did you get that from?" he asked incredulously. It shows him on a Bultaco and him wearing a pudding basin helmet. When he moved from his home to live in Australia, he'd dumped all of his own photographs and momentoes. It was spitting with rain as I stood there and a bit marked the photo. Barry was dead within a year or two after that.

Read and Minter? When I was about 16 or 17 that picture appeared in one of the motorcycle papers, either Motor Cycle or Motor Cycle News, and I never forgot it. About five years ago I discovered an image of it on the Net so got a print made. The 'King of Brands' was a real hero then and he still lives in Blean near Canterbury, so I rang him up and drove over to get him to sign it. It was of course photographed at Druids at Brands and he did recover believe it or not. I finally met Phil Read at an FoS a few years later to also sign it and I mentioned that Minter had had a nasty crash at Darley Moor I think. The accident was unexplained and it was thought he might have had a minor stroke or heart attack. It hospitised him anyway. Read unpleasantly remarked "Silly bugger, he'll kill himself" and it reinforced what I'd heard of this man's personality. Great days though, Brands, Nortons, Ajays, Matchlesses, Tritons, Chris Vincent, Bill Ivy (another local, to me, rider). Deubel, Helmut Fath........:thumb2

A little help would be good

:bounce1 Hi Paul, what a great collection. I came across this thread while I was searching the web for signatures of riders from the 1960's. I own a 2013 Thruxton and am currently trying to collate a series of signatures. The signatures are for all the Triumph winning pairs in the series of Thruxton 500 Endurance races, (also 2nd & 3rd placed for 1969). The problem I am having is in getting the signatures, I have only managed to get 4 signatures so far: M Hailwood, P Tait, M Uphill & J Cooper.So I still need the following: Dan Shorey, Tony Godfrey, JR Holder, Dave Degens, B Lawton, R Butcher, R Gould, D Nixon, P Butler, Steve Jolly, Len Phelps, Cliff Carr & D Croxford.

I have located a Dunstall style 3/4 racing fairing and I want the signatures to provide the backdrop to the "tribute" I am trying to create for the riders of that era on the modern namesake. I have started the process, (and if I can work out how to attach some pics I will). I don't know if you can help, or if anyone else who reads this can, but I would appreciate any help, advice or guidance, (as long as it is physically possible and not illegal :ChrisKelly). Once the fairing is fitted it is going to Bob Farnham. Tuning so he work his magic and make handle & perform as it should with such a name and style. Thanks!:clap

A little help would be good

:bounce1 Hi Paul, what a great collection. I came across this thread while I was searching the web for signatures of riders from the 1960's. I own a 2013 Thruxton and am currently trying to collate a series of signatures. The signatures are for all the Triumph winning pairs in the series of Thruxton 500 Endurance races, (also 2nd & 3rd placed for 1969). The problem I am having is in getting the signatures, I have only managed to get 4 signatures so far: M Hailwood, P Tait, M Uphill & J Cooper.So I still need the following: Dan Shorey, Tony Godfrey, JR Holder, Dave Degens, B Lawton, R Butcher, R Gould, D Nixon, P Butler, Steve Jolly, Len Phelps, Cliff Carr & D Croxford.

I have located a Dunstall style 3/4 racing fairing and I want the signatures to provide the backdrop to the "tribute" I am trying to create for the riders of that era on the modern namesake. I have started the process, (and if I can work out how to attach some pics I will). I don't know if you can help, or if anyone else who reads this can, but I would appreciate any help, advice or guidance, (as long as it is physically possible and not illegal :ChrisKelly). Once the fairing is fitted it is going to Bob Farnham. Tuning so he work his magic and make handle & perform as it should with such a name and style. Thanks!:clap

Help !

Hi Paul,

Nice pics and signatures. I don't now if you can help me, but I need the following four signatures that I am missing from the Thruxton series of riders on Triumph machines: Barry Lawton, David Nixon, Peter Butler and Les Phelps.

I have all the others but am struggling to get these, I only need copies, not originals, if you could help it would be greatly appreciated. I am building a tribute to all these Triumph riders and need these 4 to finish it off.

Thanks for reading this.

Chris,

Back
Top Bottom