'05' R1200GS Complete Electrical Failure

I had this twice - after investigation with the diagnostic computer it turned out to be the coil pack. I replaced all of the coils (not cheap) and that fixed the problem.

No offence meant to @Colin, but this is about as sophisticated as many dealers get. They aren't paying for all the replaced parts & no certainty they'll get it right.

That's what usually happens when you don't fully charge the battery specially during the winter . ABS eats lots off power but don't worry you are not the first one so just put it down to a experience :)

I don't think so. With the engine running, the battery is being charged by the alternator at a rate faster than it is being discharged. So surely your point could only be valid if the alternator was dodgy....?

I don't think so. With the engine running, the battery is being charged by the alternator at a rate faster than it is being discharged. So surely your point could only be valid if the alternator was dodgy....?

There must be a problem somewhere , otherwise the problem should not have happend :nenau , we can only guess. :confused: , is like talking about someone else's wife better then he know his own wife :D

The ABS as such does not but the servo for the ABS brakes on early models does ;)

Quite. I should have read the thread title to see that it is an '05 model then I could have deduced what the handyman meant.

Mea Culpa.

Nothing at all on the electronic display, and speedo/rev counter needles are stuck where they were at the point of loss of power.

Never seen that happen before I would say get yourself to some where that can read the codes as I think it's an ECU fault "somehow"

It's a pity that you weren't nearer I'd have swopped in my ECUs one at a time to see if anything changed

Normally (IF I understand what you are saying above?) If the ignition switch goes off then the dials should all zero automatically

EDIT Did you check and see that the instruments connector is correctly fitted at the clocks??

Battery

Surely the easyest way to trace a fault is to start with the obvious, do the lights or the horn work? this would indicate battery probs.

Once again, thanks all for the advice.

Will (to the best of my limited abilities) look at the various 'tests' to trace the fault.

To those who offered further help, thanks alot, very much appreciated, and i may PM yourselves !!

:clap

Simple things first.

My money is on it being a loose battery connection..................

Not "wiggle-waggle" loose, just not quite tight enough.

Simple things first.

Remove the battery leads. Clean up the terminals and leads. Reconnect. THEN add a smear of grease.

Don't forget to recalibrate the TPS thingys...

Simple things first.

But he said that he had already disconnected the battery and re-connected it. I think that would eliminate a loose terminal.

With the very limited diagnostic information available, I suspect that it could well be a serious problem in the electronics rather than a wiring fault.

Yup that's why I asked about the Speedo and Revcounter

the OP said that they had stuck where they were when the systems died

Any way that you shut down the systems via key stalling engine dropping sidestand in gear or even the good old kill switch etc etc The Dials will automatically zero

I still can't figure why they're "stuck" unless something melted in there or the connector plug pulled out very suddenly

Ya know what These 1200 thingy's are all very well but Damn do they give headaches

Its' about time the clever idiots that designed them ACTUALLY had to do work on them and build in Get you Home factors in the design cos there are none in the 1200s

I still can't figure why they're "stuck" unless something melted in there or the connector plug pulled out very suddenly

That's actually a very good shout, the simple process of checking the plug connection into the back of the speedo may really yield results,

After all ...... you have absolutely NOTHING to lose!

I had a similar fault after leaving it in storage for a month on a optimate.

It was the ignition switch gummed up,sprayed wd40 down it and turned it back and forth quickly and it was sorted:thumb2.

Originally Posted by Colin1958
I had this twice - after investigation with the diagnostic computer it turned out to be the coil pack. I replaced all of the coils (not cheap) and that fixed the problem.

Mr Bendy toy
No offence meant to @Colin, but this is about as sophisticated as many dealers get. They aren't paying for all the replaced parts & no certainty they'll get it right.

Sorry Mr Bendy, but I'll have to pick you up on this one.

I use a local independant (Ian at Bike Motor Works in Grendon), and he spent 2 days diagnosing the fault, and narrowed it down to a single component group. He then loaded the bike into the van and drove it to Wollaston BWM in Northampton to run it on their in-house computer to double-check. For this he charge me £100 and fitted the coil pack for free!

I felt this was an accurate diagnosis, excellent service and well worth the money, in addition to being about as sophisticated as it possible to get. He also kept me fully in the loop and explained all of the diagnostic runs to me, and gave me a copy of the page from the BMW manual explaining the diagnostic readout.

No-one could have done more, and I have absolutely no complaints at all. . . . other than nearly being killed when the bike cut out in the outside lane of the M6 :eek

Yup that's why I asked about the Speedo and Revcounter

the OP said that they had stuck where they were when the systems died

Any way that you shut down the systems via key stalling engine dropping sidestand in gear or even the good old kill switch etc etc The Dials will automatically zero

Ya know what These 1200 thingy's are all very well but Damn do they give headaches

Its' about time the clever idiots that designed them ACTUALLY had to do work on them and build in Get you Home factors in the design cos there are none in the 1200s

It happens on the cars. Loose batt terminal/high resistance in the battery etc causes a static feedback and the Kombi shuts down, needles stick at high. Used to get BMW car customers telling me their car was over heating as soon as it was switched on!

Lectrickery does some funny things!!!!

I just had this on rebuilt 05 it was the live lead to the starter the insulation was split and it was shortcurcuiting on starter casing. Be methodical.

Back
Top Bottom