'05' R1200GS Complete Electrical Failure

I just had this on rebuilt 05 it was the live lead to the starter the insulation was split and it was shortcurcuiting on starter casing. Be methodical.

A bit late to the party, but useful information.

My 2005 cut out this morning on the commute. Cruising at 60mph, it was like someone turned the ignition off. The dash went completely blank. Tried bump starting as it slowed but this just locked the rear (hadn't seen the dash was blank at this point). Quickly turned key off and on again and the dash ame back to life, did the self check and then started immediately on the starter button. Ran ok for the rest of the commute.

I did clean it yesterday and apply some muc off bike protector all around the ignition area.

Do not think it is the sidestand switch, or the kill switch as the dash went completely off.

I will check the battery terminals at lunch time and check around for any obvious chaffing to wires especially around headstock.

Anything else I can easily check?

thanks

I'm not going to be much help with your answer, but I would say go easy with that muc off. I definitely wouldn't be spraying around the cockpit area. Warm soapy water only (I mean car shampoo, NOT washing up liquid soapy!)

Not saying that caused your problem, certainly not in the time frame you're describing, just an observation. Unless you can be 100% certain you've flushed it all out/off soon after applying.

Good luck with the fix. I'm sure the collective will be of help :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Unless the battery/connections/charging circuit are ‘proven’ to be the issue - I’d be assuming an intermittent break in one of the conductors to the ignition switch, or the switch itself.

Unless you absolutely prove the fault - you could end up in a dodgy situation on the road.

Wires around the steering can fracture.

Wires alongside the battery/airbox can chafe.

Ignition switch packs up.

If the ignition switch is old, a replacement might help but you also need to check the wiring for damage.

An 05 will have the early type key switch block at the base of the ignition barrel

The sealing is non too good, so any thing sprayed into the lock barrel area, muck off, AC50, silcone lube, WD40 etc

will migrate down into the swich block - net result being if one or more of the microswitches sticks it cuts the igntion.

if the OP hat the time and patience, they could drop the ignition switch pack off, open it and clean / lube the micoswitches

as a potential short term fix.

Worth looking at as an easy start point

An 05 will have the early type key switch block at the base of the ignition barrel

The sealing is non too good, so any thing sprayed into the lock barrel area, muck off, AC50, silcone lube, WD40 etc

will migrate down into the swich block - net result being if one or more of the microswitches sticks it cuts the igntion.

if the OP hat the time and patience, they could drop the ignition switch pack off, open it and clean / lube the micoswitches

as a potential short term fix.

Worth looking at as an easy start point

Thanks all, I had the cover off around the ignition barrel checking the wires, they looked fine. Was also looking around the headstock and could see no chaffing. As per bendyboy will get the tank off also and see if there is chaffing under there. Will see if I can work out how that block comes off the ignition barrel to get at the microswitches - any tips on how to do this? I even failed to remove the electric plugs under the ignition barrel as I couldn't see how they worked!

One other thing i noticed this evening is that the right indicator lamp on the dash is "flashing" dimly (the indicator is off) all the time the ignition is on and the kill switch is "on" (not in the kill position). This is happening with or without the engine running. the flickering seems to be rhythmic - not random. If you flick kill switch to off then the flickering stops. I have tried cleaning the right indicator bulb holders/wiring and also the multiplug for the dash.

Ran the gs911 and it found no issues.

thanks again

Thanks all, I had the cover off around the ignition barrel checking the wires, they looked fine. Was also looking around the headstock and could see no chaffing. As per bendyboy will get the tank off also and see if there is chaffing under there. Will see if I can work out how that block comes off the ignition barrel to get at the microswitches - any tips on how to do this? I even failed to remove the electric plugs under the ignition barrel as I couldn't see how they worked!

One other thing i noticed this evening is that the right indicator lamp on the dash is "flashing" dimly (the indicator is off) all the time the ignition is on and the kill switch is "on" (not in the kill position). This is happening with or without the engine running. the flickering seems to be rhythmic - not random. If you flick kill switch to off then the flickering stops. I have tried cleaning the right indicator bulb holders/wiring and also the multiplug for the dash.

thanks again

Just a few thought on your issues. Remember, locks need graphite lube, not WD or any other oil/lube that will gum them up long term as well as attract dirt. The micro-switch mechanisms need electrical contact cleaner. I realise WD40/silicone sprays often work short term, but they are best avoided TBH, other than in an emergency.

Your flickering indicator light is a wierd one. My first thought was bad/corroded earth/neg connections, but then again BMW switchgear (both left & right) has been known to fail due to water ingress. It may be worth giving the indcator switch a squirt of contact cleaner, but my suspicion is that the switch is faulty. Just ask any early K16 owners; many got through several sets of switchgear when the encapsulation failed. Kill switch failure can be particularly scary, as many have discovered. A quick check for the quality of earth/neg leads can be achieved by running a temporary wire from the battery to the instrument panel, or wherever you perceive there to be a problem.

thanks again

WWW.realoem.com will show the part in detail

If i recall its two T6 torx to remove the outer cover
Unplug the two multiplugs - one for the iginition switch & one for the ring antenna

Two further T6 torx from underneath hold the ignition switch in place

Then its just slide downwards to remove from the ignition barrel

One other thing i noticed this evening is that the right indicator lamp on the dash is "flashing" dimly

forgot to say it is flashing a very dull orange rather than the green.

Back
Top Bottom