Here we go again!

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had this in the garage for a week, took it out for a ride today and now to start pulling it apart:

BMW%20K75S%20%2820%29%20-L.jpg

It's going to take a bit more work than the last three K-Series I've attacked:

BMW%20K75S%20%285%29-L.jpg

I think it can be a good 'un though. :thumb2

It looks pretty okay to me (he said hesitantly)...what's the plan to bring it to Mike P standard?

Had this in the garage for a week, took it out for a ride today and now to start pulling it apart:

BMW%20K75S%20%2820%29%20-L.jpg

I think it can be a good 'un though. :thumb2

I was going to say.......... "Its mine!" Followed with a.........:pullface

But I'm not........... Its "ours!!" :clap

And when it's all put back together after all your time and hard work, it'll be ridden, washed, polished and looked after in what can only be said to be "The traditional family way!" :JB

The first little order from motobins has been placed. I'm looking forward to coming down next Wednesday!

The first little order from motobins has been placed. I'm looking forward to coming down next Wednesday!
Well you can walk around the pile of bits on the floor and admire your new bike:

BMW%20K75S%20%2838%29-XL.jpg

It's going to take some elbow grease:

BMW%20K75S%20%2833%29-L.jpg

BMW%20K75S%20%2835%29-L.jpg

BMW%20K75S%20%2839%29-L.jpg

That took about an hour. :)

As suspected, the exhaust heat shield screws are seized solid as are the front mudguard bolts.

Wrong type of battery means that it wasn't held in place and was sliding about. The search begins for a battery retaining strap and long screws.

More stripping and cleaning today. I began by separating the two halves of the rear unit and splitting the belly-pan halves. Two of the screw heads were so badly corroded that I couldn't get a Philips into them:

BMW%20K75S%20%2841%29-XL.jpg

The bike is very low mileage and so far stripping it has shown that it hasn't been apart in its life. The screw heads were corroded but the threads were in good order so a quick brush of the exposed thread and a pair of grips on the head soon had them out.

Then it was time to get rid of twenty plus years worth of accumulated gunge inside it:

BMW%20K75S%20%2844%29-L.jpg

I gave all the stripped-off parts a similar clean. The fairing support bracket, the inner fairing panel, rear mudguard parts, pannier frames and all the painted parts (so far removed) have been scrubbed inside and out:

BMW%20K75S%20%2845%29-L.jpg

BMW%20K75S%20%2848%29-L.jpg

The radiator panel and belly-pan meshes are pretty scabby but sound and it will be easier to deal with the seized silencer heat shield screws with it on the bench:

BMW%20K75S%20%2847%29-XL.jpg

While it's still on its wheels, I rolled it out to give the now exposed areas another scrub. It's not too bad, the timing chain cover might escape needing a re-paint but the water pump cover I will strip and respray:

BMW%20K75S%20%2846%29-L.jpg

Front wheel off and the Motometer removed:

BMW%20K75S%20%2849%29-XL.jpg

Then the next (anticipated) problems. The front mudguard on 'S' fork models is in two pieces. Each is held by two screws through the fork slider and a single long screw that passes through the fork brace from the back (under a plastic cover that has to be prised off).

Well as you can imagine, these fixings are in the worst possible place when it comes to road crap. Three of the side fixings are solid in the fork slider:

BMW%20K75S%20%2850%29-L.jpg

Fortunately the nuts weren't seized and a little squirt with a releasing fluid encouraged them to come off without complaint.

The long screw through the brace is another matter. At the front it threads into a captive square nut. Only problem is that the nut is captive in nothing more robust that the plastic of the mudguard.

BMW%20K75S%20%2851%29-XL.jpg

It doesn't help that the location makes it almost impossible to clean the thread or to get at it to cut the screw. I may resort to drilling the head off but for now I'm going to sleep on the problem.

Early indications are that the steering bearings are too tight. Although the bike tracked nicely at speed, the low speed steering is wrong. New steering bearings may be required and as it's stripped would be daft not to do just as "good housekeeping" anyway (Hey. It's not my money after-all :D).

The search begins for a battery retaining strap and long screws.

I have spare ones somewhere in my garage, they are yours if you want them. I also have all manner of odds and sods I have accumulated over the years, will be happy to help if I can.
I am still looking for a set of downpipes, if you have, or know of any, please let me know.

I managed to add two more parts to the pile of painted bits today:

BMW%20K75S%20%2859%29-L.jpg

I began by trying to clamp the square nut inside the plastic:

BMW%20K75S%20%2852%29-L.jpg

It worked to begin with until the corroded thread reached the nut. So I drilled off the head of the allen screw, then punched the remains forward. That separated the two halves of the mudguard. I then cut the remains of the screw off flush with the plastic housing the square nut. All I had to do then was prise the nut and washer out. I was chuffed that I managed to avoid damaging the mudguard.

BMW%20K75S%20%2855%29-L.jpg

Next, with the mudguard and the fork brace off, I cleaned exposed threads of the side mounting screws. Both the offside ones are solid, the remaining nearside one came out with a squirt of shock unlock:

BMW%20K75S%20%2856%29-L.jpg

Anyway, off with the fork legs. I'll set about the two remaining mudguard screws later.

BMW%20K75S%20%2860%29-XL.jpg

I whipped the discs off the front wheel. The carriers are a bit scabby, they get new paint in due course:

BMW%20K75S%20%2853%29-L.jpg

I gave the wheel a quick clean with the discs off. The photo doesn't really show the corrosion to the bare aluminium bits but they're pitted. Plus the black finish is ingrained with brake dust:

BMW%20K75S%20%2854%29-L.jpg

The bare ali has been cleaned here but I've still to make a start on the black finish of the spokes:

BMW%20K75S%20%2858%29-L.jpg

It's a start:

BMW%20K75S%20%2861%29-XL.jpg

There' still a lot of work to do to get into the spoke channels in the corners but I'm pleased that the black finish is virtually unmarked under the crap stuck to it.

Fair making me sweat Mike :eek:

Ever thought about doing this for a living ....

..... no I thought not :thumb

:beerjug:

Totally off topic but,
I'm curious about the Dublin Bike reg plate :D

Ah.
*Clang!*

that's the sound of a penny dropping.
nuff said. ;)

:D
I thought it would dawn on you (eventually). :D

Spent a bit of time drilling-out the seized mudguard screws:

BMW%20K75S%20%2862%29-XL.jpg

The recently acquired battery strap and the rear mudguard straps need some cleaning:

BMW%20K75S%20%2864%29-L.jpg

A fair old pile of crap comes off with just a bit of scraping:

BMW%20K75S%20%2865%29-L.jpg

The start of a pile of parts for painting:

BMW%20K75S%20%2867%29-L.jpg

The next few days are going be spent preparing more parts for the first bout of respraying.

Stripping and cleaning goes on. All the body panels have now been removed, stripped of their fixings, cleaned and will shortly be delivered for re-spraying (a change of colour has been decided upon).

In the mean time I've been removing the paint that has been liberally sprayed over all sorts of things such as the air-box snorkel:

BMW%20K75S%20%2868%29-L.jpg

The coolant has been dumped and the system stripped down:

BMW%20K75S%20%2870%29-L.jpg

BMW%20K75S%20%2872%29-L.jpg

The radiator removed, the fan checked that it operates correctly and cleaned:

BMW%20K75S%20%2876%29-L.jpg

BMW%20K75S%20%2877%29-L.jpg

All the hoses and clips have been cleaned, the hoses given a dose of rubber food stuff and the snorkel given a buffing:

BMW%20K75S%20%2873%29-L.jpg

The fuel cap is grubby, plenty of white fluff on the rubber gaskets:

BMW%20K75S%20%2874%29-L.jpg

BMW%20K75S%20%2875%29-L.jpg

They are easy to remove, just four crosshead screws. It's not as if the rubber seal needs to be replaced or is as fiddly to re-fit as some later models. It has to come out to do a fuel filter change. I just don't know why people don't clean them at the same time. I'm convinced that most of the water that finds its way into K-Series tanks is due to the poor seal caused by the oxidisation. :nenau

BMW%20K75S%20%2878%29-L.jpg

A quick wipe with acetone soon removes any old polish that makes the black finish look scruffy:

BMW%20K75S%20%2879%29-L.jpg

The more observant will have spotted that the steering has been stripped:

BMW%20K75S%20%2869%29-L.jpg

The steering bearings while not exactly shot were showing signs of brinelling so they will be replaced. The dust caps are always sacrificed when removing the bearings:

BMW%20K75S%20%2871%29-XL.jpg

When I released the fork stanchions, lots of heat was needed to release the clamp-screws and they came out packed with oxidisation so I cleaned the threads out with a tap:

BMW%20K75S%20%2880%29-L.jpg

The insides of the clamps are pretty rough too:

BMW%20K75S%20%2881%29-L.jpg

A light spin with an emery wheel sorted that out:

BMW%20K75S%20%2882%29-L.jpg

Then the bottom yoke was given a clean up:

BMW%20K75S%20%2883%29-L.jpg

The top yoke was a bit furry too:

BMW%20K75S%20%2884%29-L.jpg

After:

BMW%20K75S%20%2885%29-L.jpg

Then onto the shelf ready for when the new bearings go on just before re-assembly begins:

BMW%20K75S%20%2886%29-XL.jpg

It's early days yet, the box of cleaned parts ready for re-assembly is far from full but the pile of bits for painting is getting to the point where I'll have enough to set-up my "spray booth".

I'm not certain that the frame can be cleaned up. I may whip it off. It's only five bolts. We'll see.

petrol cap;
They are easy to remove, just four crosshead screws.
Hah! - Yes, if the screws still have a head on 'em! (one of mine didn't :mad:) and when i saw the amount of white fluffy muck on the gasket i thought it was toilet cleaner / limescale remover i should be reaching for! :D
Them yokes; How the hell did you get them so clean?! :eek:
Brilliant [sic! :D ] finish. :thumb2 :bow

Marc, about 30 minutes on each with a lump of steel wool and a small dollop of Solvol.

The same here (albeit a bit longer to do):

BMW%20K75S%20%2894%29-L.jpg

BMW%20K75S%20%2896%29-L.jpg

I had to drill three of the heat-shield screws out and when I set about cleaning the old paint off I found that it was rusted through in a couple of places (well the wire brush went through the paint and rust).

Anyone happen to have a K75 exhaust heat-shield kicking about? Painted version preferred, as long as it's solid enough to clean up and paint. They used to be about 14 quid from Motobins but for some reason they're now asking 60! :eek:

I'm slowly working my way through the pile of parts that have been removed before removing more.

The upper fairing support bracket cleaned and the cover cleaned/polished. I've replaced the clear sheet that stops the cables rubbing through the paint with a piece of helicopter tape.

BMW%20K75S%20%2899%29-L.jpg

The pannier Z-frames cleaned and given a coat of my secret polish:

BMW%20K75S%20%2887%29-L.jpg

Frame to upper fairing brackets removed, cleaned and bagged:

BMW%20K75S%20%2888%29-L.jpg

BMW%20K75S%20%2889%29-L.jpg

BMW%20K75S%20%2890%29-L.jpg

As parts are cleaned and bagged they go into the box of bits that are done:

BMW%20K75S%20%2898%29-L.jpg

I sometimes peek into it and anticipate the pleasure that comes when it's time to put it all back together. :D

Still a box of bits yet to be cleaned:

BMW%20K75S%20%28100%29-L.jpg

Lots of fun yet to be had. :augie

Back
Top Bottom