Jay Leno's Honda CBX

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For those that like them:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1427722" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I had one of Those

Here's a slimmer Bob around 1984 ish: Note original Belstaff jacket it would be worth a fortune now.

Attachments

• CBX1000.jpg
    CBX1000.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,251
i Like them . My Dad bought one new in 1980 ,£1999 it was , I used to clean it , best bit was sneaking out on it at night when he'd gone to bed and Nailing it down the M4 with a Girlfriend on the back , wearing his Griffin Helmet . Amazed I never got stopped :D

Had one of the original twin shock CBX's in the late 80's with a Laser six into one straight pipe exhaust :D:D:D

Only bike I ever regreted selling but I did replace it with my first ever GS - a brand new R100GS in white and blue ;)

I think Leno makes some really good points but the Prolink doesn't do it for me though I would take one over a K1600GT anyday: The Honda engine is a work of art as well as an incredibly bit of engineering, the BMW is just great engineering and has to be hidden away behind acres of plastic so as not to offend the eye.
Got this last year and imho it's one of the best Japanese M/Cs ever built.
I have just replaced the exhaust on mine and am waiting for the crash bars to come back from being rechromed and it will look pretty much as it did when it left the factory back in 1980 without any other work. They are still available for sensible money but not for much longer I suspect.

Attachments

• cbx.jpg
    cbx.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,307
They are still available for sensible money but not for much longer I suspect.

met a guy recently who's just bought a CBX-Z. cost him £10K+ :eek:

can't see the attraction of a pro link either :confused:

I test rode one in 1980 but bought a CB900FA instead as it was lighter and a bit more agile. I still have that bike gathering dust.

Had one of the original twin shock CBX's in the late 80's with a Laser six into one straight pipe exhaust :D:D:D

oolala :clap

Please someone post a soundclip of this :drool

In its day the CBX was both a work of art and a legend.

In its day the CBX was both a work of art and a legend.

A-001.jpg

Al :thumb

I would have one, but Im not planning to sell my Suzuki Kettle to make space.

Keep them original - they still look stunning. Only downside (like everything in that era) is spindly forks and just about adequate brakes.

BTW I had a Griffin helmet & absolutely HATED. It was THE most noisy bucket I ever put on my head and probably a good part of why I'm deaf these days. I put up with it because it cost a lot and I was broke. The best hat I had at the time was a Cromwell full face - very quiet, but they stopped making them.

Shock/horror - JB finally admitting that a modern BMW could be better than an old relic :eek::eek::eek:

I only said they made one:augie

But yes, I bet the BMW one is light years better:clap

Can't see the attraction of the Honda one, Comstar wheels linked to spindly forks and some saggy undersprung/damped twinshocks............another 80's Honda horror:blast

Had to wheel a CBX around a workshop, earlier in the summer - how fecking HEAVY:rolleyes:

I test rode one in 1980 but bought a CB900FA instead as it was lighter and a bit more agile. I still have that bike gathering dust.

I always really liked the 900F's at the time, one of the few contemporary Jap bikes that I did like in fact.

I can't recall having seen one on the road for a long time now, I wonder if they are/were as good as I used to think they were? (Actually, I think I can answer that question - no!).

Andres

Back
Top Bottom