GS ADV v K1600 GT ?

GSA to 1600GT

I've just gone from a 1200GSA to a 1600GT and am more than happy. I liked the GSA but found the engine a bit breathless for heavily laden overtakes and I wanted a change.
It's the engine in the GT that does it for me. I've not got as much experience as most on this site but I've ridden nothing like it. Each ride is an event as soon as I press the starter button. With the GSA it was a relief if it struggled into life whereas now I smile as a wave of visceral pleasure sweeps through my tired old body as six keen cylinders burst into life

Tried the Gt + GTL today

IMG_0509-1_zps710c01f3.jpg

I went from a 2007 GSA to a 2011 K1600GT and I haven't looked back, I had the GS for 4 years and never thought I'd want anything else but the GT just offered so much more, more excitement, more comfort, more foot on the floor :D 90% of my riding is 2 up at what I call a spirited pace and the GS did this brilliantly but the GT does it even better. The cruise control is a godsend on longer runs and so simple to use, the adaptive headlight is superb, the stock seat is comfortable from the get go and the heated grips and seat make winter riding a joy. I only notice the extra weight pushing it around the driveway, I can dribble the bike along at walking pace steady as a rock and the lower seat (compared to the adventure) gives maximum confidence with low speed manoeuvres. I still can't quite believe it every time I open the garage and see it sitting there, what a machine! Just starting it up is an occasion and the noise from the six cylinder engine is sublime. It's not perfect, the transmission can clunk (this is worse for the first day or two while you adjust from the GS) and its expensive to buy but that's it for me, nothing else comes close. :thumb2

I went from a 2007 GSA to a 2011 K1600GT and I haven't looked back, I had the GS for 4 years and never thought I'd want anything else but the GT just offered so much more, more excitement, more comfort, more foot on the floor :D 90% of my riding is 2 up at what I call a spirited pace and the GS did this brilliantly but the GT does it even better. The cruise control is a godsend on longer runs and so simple to use, the adaptive headlight is superb, the stock seat is comfortable from the get go and the heated grips and seat make winter riding a joy. I only notice the extra weight pushing it around the driveway, I can dribble the bike along at walking pace steady as a rock and the lower seat (compared to the adventure) gives maximum confidence with low speed manoeuvres. I still can't quite believe it every time I open the garage and see it sitting there, what a machine! Just starting it up is an occasion and the noise from the six cylinder engine is sublime. It's not perfect, the transmission can clunk (this is worse for the first day or two while you adjust from the GS) and its expensive to buy but that's it for me, nothing else comes close. :thumb2

From my test ride this summary resonates.

Looks like I'm heading for a GTL :beerjug:

The performance is awesome :eek:

Lots of toys to play with and get used to :thumb

Mrs C is happy with the seat (incl heating), back rest, view over my bonce and music ;)

The only negative was, when riding solo at speed on the mway, the severe backdraft pressing you back onto the bars. You had to lower the screen to get an acceptable balancing position :nenau

I don't think I can ride with a 13 plate so will have to look for a cheap alternative :rolleyes:

Roll on delivery :clap

Happy days ahead :D
I changed the screen on mine to a Cee Baileys 22" in the light grey tint. I've not covered a huge mileage since I swapped over last month but initial impressions are very favourable and the sweet spot is certainly much larger now.
Best Regards James

The only negative was, when riding solo at speed on the mway, the severe backdraft pressing you back onto the bars. You had to lower the screen to get an acceptable balancing position :nenau
:clap

How did you get on with a GT rather than GTL? I find motorways with GT and screen down perfect. I have a top box - partly for space and the pillions like the "security". Only down side is weaving when top box fitted at over 110mph which goes when box removed - allegedly.

How did you get on with a GT rather than GTL? I find motorways with GT and screen down perfect. I have a top box - partly for space and the pillions like the "security". Only down side is weaving when top box fitted at over 110mph which goes when box removed - allegedly.

110 is an average speed for these machines :augie

I must admit most of my mway riding was on the GTL. My riding buddy did the GT but reported the same backdraft issue.

Owned GT two weeks now, week one stupid weather layed it up . This weekend did 849miles in three days. Rather cold in places but loved it. took lad from Norfolk to N.Wales and dropped him off. Then went to the lakes, overnight with a half day in the lakes lunch then home via M61 ,A1,A17. Found some new aches and strain points with 2.5 hrs, but put that down to new riding position.

Looking forward to getting some miles during the touring seasons.

If you are thinking of a change the 1600 GT well worth it.

If you do the sort of roads mentioned above.
Did 6mls on the A1 coming back from the lakes last week and that was 6mls to many.

Steve

I did the swop!!

The k is a super bike. I made the swap from an anniversary gsa to the K16gt se.
10k miles later the K continues to impress me. It is a technology super-fest
However it absolutely eats tires and actually really needs to have good rubber otherwise the handling goes well off.

A gs is a considerably better all rounder and certainly more useful on the roads in my neck of the woods, but perhaps it is not a fair comparison, certainly more of an apples and bananas comparison. The K16gt is considerably better than any FJR or Pan European or VFR12 I have ridden. It is ponderous on small poorly surfaced country roads. The engine is a blast and the whole riding experience on the K is more akin to what i think flying a small powerful plane might be. It is a great sports tourer and is really capable as a sports bike. it is very comfortable and feels naturally balanced. Now that I can use them, I love all the gizmos.The built in gps in particular.
It does take a bit of time and a good number of miles to really get into the K16gt.
There have been some recalls and warranty work particularly on switch gear which was disappointing, (though not necessarily surprising), replacement dip stick for god's sake! Because of these issues, I would be concerned with continued ownership outside the warranty period.
My intention is to replace it with a LC 1200GS.
They are both fine bikes but are very different in so many ways.

safe riding either way.

I swopped 1600GT SE to 2012GSA retiring Essex to N.Wales and couldn't be happier; the Gentleman's reply above is spot on, to which I can add nothing. Enjoy whatever you buy. JL

Personally I wouldn't.....

See my experience here... http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337582

Lovely bike, and it depends what you want it for. Two up it'd be way better than a GSA, but overall I'd never swap my GSA for a K1600.

If I wanted to leave the GS marque for a tourer I think I'd consider a K1200RT, a Pan European 1300, or a Triumph Trophy, before I'd consider the K1600

:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom