Pre65 Trials

DollyRocket

Reaction score
I was invited to observe at the Wycombe & District trial this last Sunday and I had a really pleasurable morning watching riders with both old and new machinery pit their wits against the obstacles. What really made it was that all the riders thanked me for observing on their last lap - A complete change from the Enduro mentality that I am used to..

However, the stars were the boys on the classic pre-65 bikes. I thought they were absolutely beautiful - Greeves, AJS, Triumph and BSA. So much so, I have been browsing ebay looking to see if there are any affordable classics to get into the sport.

The disappointing thing was, that there was only about 4 lads younger than me out there riding (I am 35) and the talent and skills are disappearing slowly.

Well done for Observing:clap

The Sport needs people like you:thumb

Plenty of youngsters competing every weekend, mainly modern trials events though (being seen at a Pre65 Trial, would ruin a 18 year olds street cred:blast)

Addictive, isn't it:bounce1

The Pre 65 and Twinshock trials up here are well supported, with two clubs running events there is at least two per month. I've got the bug good and proper now, I haven't replaced the CRF that was stolen last summer, and sold my "modern" trials bike before Christmas to fund my Twinshock habit.
Mark

It's great fun Mike, either competing or observing, as you found out.

I haven't looked at prices for some years now but here's a couple of my old ones

A mid 50's Enfield Bullet, taken out to 400cc, very competitive in the right hands , ie, not mine :)
The guy I sold it to did the Scottish on it.
This would be near the top end of the price range. The 500 Ariels I'd guess would be more pricey, thanks to Sammy Miller's success on them.

bullet%25201.jpg

A 1963 Triumph T90, 350cc.
This was nicely built by someone, but being a twin it didn't have the plonkability that the big 4 stroke singles have, so had to be ridden more like a 2 stroke, but with the added weight penalty of the 4 strokes. Nice but not really suitable unless you're very good at the feet up game.

045.jpg

A 1972 Bultaco Sherpa 350 (actually 325 if I remember right)
This was the easiest to ride, the lightest, the cheapest to buy, and very simply to work on. I think I rebuilt the engine in a day.
It's a 1972 model but I'd guess there's be earlier models which would get you under the pre 65 rule.
046-2.jpg

I found that depending which club you rode with, they could be pretty relaxed about the rules in terms of the age of the bike.

You might find Twin Shocks class would be a cheaper entry level, as there's a load of two stroke and small Jap 4 stroke bikes eligble and cheaper than the pre 65 Brits.
Good luck, have fun.

Potential bike

Hi Mr Rocket,
Friend of mine in Leamington Spa has a Beamish Suzuki (RL 250 I think), lovely looking twinshock which will be up for sale soon.
I'm sure he'll be sensible on price.
He is looking to go 'modern'.
Let me know if that sounds interesting and I will send you some photos/contact details.
I just bought an 03 Beta and can recommend the sport. Very low key but much harder than it looks.
Cheers
Patrick

Back
Top Bottom