If you've never been Trailriding before......

I managed 30 seconds. I thought the idea was to NOT fall off when riding bikes :blast

You've not had a good trailriding day, unless you've fallen off

Notice how the fallers were pissing themselves laughing at their own stupidity of a minor indisecretion

You've not had a good trailriding day, unless you've fallen off

Notice how the fallers were pissing themselves laughing at their own stupidity of a minor indisecretion

Yes, ego ends at the same time as the tarmac :D:blast

I used to love doing some greenlanes around here, or even ragging round some woodland. I very rarely fell off though. I'm allergic to pain.

Oh Bill, it's a light hearted film showing what fun it can be............you seem to be in the minority, but never mind:D

I would say some were experienced on film, but some clearly weren't but had a great time

Main difference, those lanes are easy on a 250-400cc pukka bike and as Tim says, Mud/Rocks/Rivers/Ruts are what UK trails are all about - but after a while they're pretty straightforward

Johnny- I guess I didn't explain my point very well......

Yes, good film.
Yes, I've ridden stuff like that.....sometimes with Rosie on the back on my full fat 1150GSA, sometimes solo on a DRZ400 or whatever, but I think it's fair to claim I've given it a go.
Yes it was light hearted.
Yes, it's also what Trail Riding In The UK is about....

All I was trying to say is that I don't think it's a particularly good enticement for newbs to TRITUK......I suspect that it'll put as many sensible, older riders OFF doing it than it will entice younger, fitter balls-out invincible riders to try it.

Great film and I did enjoy it, and if you'd titled it "look what fun you could have once you've done a fair bit of trail riding" (Ok, totally shit title, but you get my drift I'm sure, and would've found a catchier title) rather than something that implies that what is featured in the clips is what you'll have to do if you take up TRITUK, we probably wouldn't be having this dialogue at all :nenau

Everyone who rides gets different sets of enjoyment out of it......often, a lot of those sets overlap, but just as often, they clash.
I love off-roading in certain conditions-the biggest high point on a bike EVER was off-road in Morocco in fact, in the conditions that I liked and that suited me.
Equally, I hate ruts and mud, and probably won't ever go pure trail riding on a PTW machine again in the UK by choice....some of the threads that Tim and Timpo et.al. have posted make me shudder, and seriously wonder about their sanity whilst being happy that they have such a good time doing it........that sort of riding is just not for me though :blast

You've done a lot of trials, trails and other off-road stuff, so perhaps you don't see that what's in that film is just as likely to put people off as it is to encourage them to try it......IDK :nenau

That's all :comfort

PS For those who haven't tried TRITUK, just do it, give it a go.....fekkit, go out with Timmy and Timpo or J-B, they will look after you, and you DON'T have to ride like the guys in this film do.....Nor will people like this expect you to when you start.

Chances are, you'll enjoy it....seriously!

I'm just old and battered and know what I like, so FFS don't let me put you off :comfort

Johnny- I guess I didn't explain my point very well......

You've done a lot of trials, trails and other off-road stuff, so perhaps you don't see that what's in that film is just as likely to put people off as it is to encourage them to try it......IDK :nenau

Fair enough, crap title

I thought the wee film was a good portrayal of the average UK trailriding, that most people do every weekend, week in and week out

Not dangerous, not silly, nothing too hard and all on bikes built for the job and not an impractical & lardy GS

But I guess my eyes aren't the same as a total noob's - as you say:nenau

They look like great lanes. We have plenty of the muddy ruts around here, but not the topography. I have to echo a previous post about the speeds of the bikes in a lot of places. It can`t make the TRF`s job any easier if these are posted on public sites under the TRF banner.

@ Trippy & Mark

I think the film makes the bikes look as though they're going faster than they really are
Having ridden some of them, I doubt they are going more than 30 mph in the fast bits

@ Trippy & Mark

I think the film makes the bikes look as though they're going faster than they really are
Having ridden some of them, I doubt they are going more than 30 mph in the fast bits

Very likely.:thumb2

Nothing as flattering as a wide-ish angle helmet cam for your riding ego :D

Add in tight and high hedges/walls and it adds a huge impression of speed.

Fekk, even I look good on helmet cam :D

Very likely.:thumb2

Nothing as flattering as a wide-ish angle helmet cam for your riding ego :D

Add in tight and high hedges/walls and it adds a huge impression of speed.

Fekk, even I look good on helmet cam :D

See, we can agree from time to time :)

You're right Bill, these helmet cams are deceptive

@ Trippy & Mark

Even if that is the case it is the speed they appear to be going that is important, not the actual speed (unless the speedo is visible to prove otherwise). There are also instances where, irrespective of the TRF limit, it appears that some of the riding could be regarded as reckless, for instance quite narrow corners are taken at speeds where if a walker or horserider were around them it could be dangerous.
We have to remember these are public access areas and subject to the same laws as the metalled roads. If we want to keep access to these lanes we do ourselves no favours by posting these videos in the public domain. It is more fuel for the `antis`
Call me boring if you like but you can`t have your cake and eat it.

Enjoyed that. :thumb2 As a relative noob off road rider there wasn't anything there that I wouldn't want to tackle. I would definitely have fallen off a lot more than the blue yam though!

Was that the (lower?) ferry at Kingswear at 3:02? If so I hadn't realised there were any lanes near there. Wonder if the wife would mind me taking my bike next time we're down there.... :D

Enjoyed that. :thumb2 As a relative noob off road rider there wasn't anything there that I wouldn't want to tackle. I would definitely have fallen off a lot more than the blue yam though!

Was that the (lower?) ferry at Kingswear at 3:02? If so I hadn't realised there were any lanes near there. Wonder if the wife would mind me taking my bike next time we're down there.... :D

It is the ferry

There is a lane at the top of the hill in Dartmouth & after the ferry going towards Brixham there's loads

Best get in touch with Devon TRF they have a fab forum & there's at least 4-5 runs every weekend & I'm sure they welcome TRF tourists on a family hol to Devon

Looks good. Might take up this trail riding lark myself :thumb

Back
Top Bottom