Using my Special Leave

tyclyd

Gary
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi - I am lucky enough to have some special leave to use up this year and am planning to leave the UK on 2nd June need to be back at work on 21st July. I am planning a solo trip camping to take in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, maybe pop into Russia and back to the UK via Ukraine and Poland into Germany on my GS1150 - having reviewed the posts here I have taken away some excellent advice but if any one has any tips especially about wild camping in North Norway, Sweden and Finland I would be really pleased to hear them. Is it worth travelling South via Pskov or is Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania a better option?

Thanks

Gary

www.tyclyd.com

Went up to Nordkapp last June with intentions of wild camping, but the first day we got soaked we rented a hytte for the night, & used them for most of the rest of the trip. Seemed quite cheap in June, and warm & dry + quick getaway in the morning make them worth considering? They seemed to be everywhere also

Ray

+1 on the huts. They don't cost much more than a camping pitch but are way better if the weather is pish.
There are various websites which cover Scandanavia and show the locations. You can join various associations which gives you discount.
As a backup, take your tent, but we never had any problems finding huts.
After using them for the first time, the tent stayed on the bike.

Sounds like a great trip. Take your camera and share the pics when you get back.

P.s. if you havnt been to Norway before, and like a drink.......take plenty with you.
The price of booze is:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You will need all your time for that trip ! Norway is about 1000 miles long at 55 mile an hour ! speeding fines are Heavy. Make sure you have totally rainproof gear. I went up Sweden a couple years ago and had 3 days of total Monsoon !! Hyatte's are definately the way to go , but can be pricey for one person

And if you're planning to 'pop into Russia', better start looking at VISAs now :) Took me a while to get a business visa, but even getting a tourist visa is a pain and you may still have to have a letter from an official accommodation supplier like hotel etc. Not all hotels/campsites are on the list.

Rob

Thanks Ray and Angus - its a massive space so understand the time constraints. Have looked a few options re the Russia elements and agree just to cross the border for a few days is looking less and less of an option. I don't want to be squeezing in miles just for miles sake and would rather try and cover a reasonable distance at my own pace - had not thought about Hyattes - would need to look at the cost. Has anyone wild camped - understand so long as you are 150 meters from a house its OK to do?

Gary

www.tyclyd.com

Plus one on the speeding, they are v sharp and unforgiving, if you get caught taking wee wee it costs

I paid around uk 200 for about 80mph in a dead clear quiet country road

Have a great trip :)

Was looking at using an agent

And if you're planning to 'pop into Russia', better start looking at VISAs now :) Took me a while to get a business visa, but even getting a tourist visa is a pain and you may still have to have a letter from an official accommodation supplier like hotel etc. Not all hotels/campsites are on the list.

Rob

Was going to use an agent for the visa - few good recommendations from this thread and but by the time you factor in around £180 for the visa and the accommodation costs its a lots extra just to "pop in" - think I amy just stick with the 3 Nordic countries.

Gary

www.tyclyd.com

Got my routes sorted and ferry now booked

Out on the 8th June - back on 25 August, with a week or so stopover to meet my wife in Naples

Attachments

• TyClyds Route.jpg
    TyClyds Route.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 146
Gary,

I haven't got any experience to compare Pskov versus the Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia but if you are in that area I'd certainly recommend a look in. Vilnius, Riga and Tallinn are all well worth visiting IMO. That said, the riding isn't particularly fascinating aside from plenty of unmade roads in central Latvia if that's your bag.

If I may ask about your route otherwise, is there any reason you're heading back up the East coast of Italy once you've met your wife in Napoli? I ask as I have done recent trips similar in magnitude to yours (see the rambles in the R/R section if you can be bothered..) but for me the highlights were definitely the Balkan states; it is possible to take ferries to North West Greece / Albania and cover some of those countries from there. Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia Herzegovina, Serbia, Croatia.. All gems.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you've got a great trip lined up. Look forward to hearing about it!

Rob :thumb

Thanks Rob

All useful advice - Italy was a consideration as I have to get to Naples to meet my family and having been too optimistic on mileage in the past have learnt that too may miles can run the trip - thought this might have been an easier option?

Back
Top Bottom