K1600GT major recall?

Out of interest, for those that have ridden both, how much worse is the backlash compared to a R1200 as they can be pretty bad if you're ham fisted?

Andres

A tribunal in New Zealand decided that one bike had a problem. Since when did that mean that all K1600's have the problem and that the tribunal decision in one country impacted world wide?

Well I had the same noises on mine so that is one bike in New Zealand and at least one in the UK.

I did mention the extra backlash to a number of my friends and the dealer and comparing aginst my GSA it was evidently different

As a designer and manufacturer myself + having done 25k miles on a K1200GT i am at a loss as to why BMW released the 1600 with a modded K1300 transmission didnt they test and strip the Yam and Kawa oposition?
My GT was a perfect sport tourer but for the crap transmission and clutch.
They dont seem to have the knack of turning corners with the driveline.
I always thought new thinking on chain or belt drive would have worked well on the in line fours, a totally enclosed drive with guides and jocky wheels would eliminate a lot of bevel gears and bearings.

Out of interest, for those that have ridden both, how much worse is the backlash compared to a R1200 as they can be pretty bad if you're ham fisted?

Andres

I ride both bikes on a regular basis (1600GT and 1200GS) and I don't have any problems swapping between the two. The main thing I notice is the different feel of the 19 inch front wheel on the GS after riding the K, but it doesn't take long to tune into the GS. Going from the GS to the K the main difference is the fly by wire throttle and the more instant response from the K, but it doesn't take long to adjust to the different levels of sensitivity.

With regards to the drive backlash it is usually being hamfisted that causes it to rear its ugly head on both bikes, but it is more pronounced on the K.

Well I had the same noises on mine so that is one bike in New Zealand and at least one in the UK.

And you can tell the noises are the same, despite never having heard the bike in New Zealand Karl?

And you can tell the noises are the same, despite never having heard the bike in New Zealand Karl?

If you go on 'face value', the 2 bikes in the NZ report exhibited it, Karls bike has a clunk/noise too, which he believes is similar and you say that yours clunks too, it would seem it is more common than uncommon

Maybe it's a 'characteristic' that some cannot live with:nenau

If you want to be perdantic then no I have not travelled to New Zealand to listen to the noise etc, etc but

description of issue is good enough:D

I had a new K1600GT, it had a noise and it had lots of lash in the rear drivetrain so 99% probability it was the same problem.

In your infinate wisdom and the fact that you have a K1600 with the noise what do you think are are you willing to aurgue it is something else.

Do you get a clunk when you let off the throttle - if not then you are a lucky fellow - if you do have a noise then better start thinking;)

If you want to be perdantic then no I have not travelled to New Zealand to listen to the noise etc, etc but

description of issue is good enough:D

It's not a case of being pedantic Karl but if you haven't heard the noise on the bike in NZ then how can you say yours sounds the same?

KarlP said:
I had a new K1600GT, it had a noise and it had lots of lash in the rear drivetrain so 99% probability it was the same problem.

In your infinate wisdom and the fact that you have a K1600 with the noise what do you think are are you willing to aurgue it is something else.

Do you get a clunk when you let off the throttle - if not then you are a lucky fellow - if you do have a noise then better start thinking;)

Until you compare two bikes side by side you can't be sure if it is the same issue. People describe things in different ways. I occasionally get a clunk and it is not an issue for me. Maybe mine is better than yours, but I wouldn't know until I heard yours or rode it.

If you go on 'face value', the 2 bikes in the NZ report exhibited it, Karls bike has a clunk/noise too, which he believes is similar and you say that yours clunks too, it would seem it is more common than uncommon

Karl said "Well I had the same noises on mine" which is not something you can say until you have heard both the bikes.

It does seem that some can ride the bike happily and don't find the characteristic a problem whereas others can't though Johnny.

It's not a case of being pedantic Karl but if you haven't heard the noise on the bike in NZ then how can you say yours sounds the same?

Until you compare two bikes side by side you can't be sure if it is the same issue. People describe things in different ways. I occasionally get a clunk and it is not an issue for me. Maybe mine is better than yours, but I wouldn't know until I heard yours or rode it.

In that case then the bike has TWO major issues and if you think yours has a different sound then that is THREE issues.

Not looking good.

By the way I do not still have mine - rather my GSA.

They are all the same

A tribunal in New Zealand decided that one bike had a problem. Since when did that mean that all K1600's have the problem and that the tribunal decision in one country impacted world wide?

Hello,
If you read the document BMW NZ and Experience BMW both state that all the bikes are the same and that they all have the same 'characteristics' ie clunks noises etc...

There were actually at least 3 bikes in the report:
Mr Coulings bike, the demo bike and another customers bike.
All three had the noises and clunks, they were all the same!

There were actually at least 3 bikes in the report:
Mr Coulings bike, the demo bike and another customers bike.
All three had the noises and clunks, they were all the same!

Thank you

I rest my case..............M'lud

I was really disappointed with the K1600. I've tested 3 of them now, and they all had horrid gearboxes/drivetrain, and stalling issues.

A real shame because it spoils what could have been an excellent GT bike.

:(

Hi Chris Couling here.

Hi just saw all you guys talking about my court case, So I have joined up!
Thanks for all the support with this; I hope this case will help others with the same fault.

Just posted this on the other forum for info..

This whole process has been very stressful and costly for me, I’ve been out of transport for 8 months now and I’m tired fighting this big company.
Still I’m waiting for the refund cheque in the mail from Experience BMW Motorcycles Limited which they have been ordered to send by the court.

I have stressed tested both Experience BMW Motorcycles Limited and BMW Motrad ability to do the right thing and they both failed miserably. They have treated my like I’m the problem and have put pressure on me in stressful meetings and emails.
The biggest error made was they (BMW Motorcycles Limited and BMW motrad) is that both grossly underestimated me and how strong I felt about the bike and what action I was willing to take.

Soon I will be launching a web-site about the whole case, and I’m in the process of securing the ‘domain name’.

Thanks again for the support I’ll keep in truckin..

Chris

Thanks for all the support with this; I hope this case will help others with the same fault.

This whole process has been very stressful and costly for me, I’ve been out of transport for 8 months now and I’m tired fighting this big company.
Still I’m waiting for the refund cheque in the mail from Experience BMW Motorcycles Limited which they have been ordered to send by the court.

I have stressed tested both Experience BMW Motorcycles Limited and BMW Motrad ability to do the right thing and they both failed miserably. They have treated my like I’m the problem and have put pressure on me in stressful meetings and emails.
The biggest error made was they (BMW Motorcycles Limited and BMW motrad) is that both grossly underestimated me and how strong I felt about the bike and what action I was willing to take.

Soon I will be launching a web-site about the whole case, and I’m in the process of securing the ‘domain name’.

Chris

Welcome aboard Chris

Sorry you have been disappointed, after all said and done - we all like great motorcycles

Chris

I take my hat off to having the balls to take it all the way.

Many talk about it but not many do it:beerjug:

All the best

Karl

Chris
Well done Chris. What bike are you going to get next?

Tom

Back
Top Bottom