Altberg Boots

Paul G (BHT)

Creator
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
Anyone here ride in Altberg boots?

I'm thinking of replacing my 8 year old riding boots and getting an all rounder that I can ride in as well as wear as an everyday boot when I get there

I've narrowed it down to two, the Altberg Aqua Sneaker
db_file_img_922_564x390.jpg

Or the Altberg Hogg All Weather
db_file_img_1253_564x390.jpg

The Aqua Sneaker is my preferred one of the two.... anyone got any experience of either?

Altberg make great boots - supplying most of the squaddies in Catterick.

I would try and get to Richmond for a personal fitting. They have width and sole options.

I've had the Hogg all weather for the last 3.5 years. They are dead comfy and pretty protective. Very solidly constructed but not stiff like MX boots. Perfect for off the bike too as they are so comfy for walking unlike most bike boots, so no need to pack something else for the evenings. They fit under jeans no worries and are walk up snowdon comfy. Only -point for me is the outsole is quite soft so wears badly on GSA pegs but its not exactly extortionate to get the resoled once in a while (not done mine yet mind!).

I have a pair of Lowas:

smugshot_9609010-L.jpg

Seems to be the only comparable manufacturer to the Altbergs. Mine were comfy right out of the box and being part leather, part cordura they're that bit lighter, while still feeling pretty substantial.

And yes, they are a lot cleaner than that right now ;)

Oh, and keep in mind the things that make the Hogg a bike boot and the sneaker not are the facts the laces start slightly further from the toes, so the laces don't get rubbed through by the gear lever, and more obviously the strip of leather protecting the same area on the Hogg. You will be surprised how quickly the leather gets damaged without it (as my work Lowa Mountain GTX did).

Both me and JustStan have have had the hogs for at least 5 years.
Best all round bike boot by a mile:thumb2

I have never tried them, thought about it, but I was put off by the lack of ankle support.

Broken ankle is one of the most commonly disabling motorcycle injuries - when one gets to a certain age, those lower leg bones can be hard to heal.

I have 4 pairs of Altberg, non are bike specific, all 4 for different thing from jungle to freezing wet conditions, for work boots there the best there is, for a bike boot its what ill be getting when my alpinestars need replacing.

I had my first made to measure over 14 years ago when I joined the Army and that pair have just been retired.

I wear a pair I got issued in 1998 to work in the winter,full factory refurb and going strong.

I liked them so much I actually bought a pair of all weather hoggs for touring.

The dogs danglies.

I've had a pair of your second choice Paul for the last 8 years and at one point was wearing them every day off the bike for over two years.

Only stopped wearing them in that guise as I got sick of having to take them off every time I went through airport security due to all the metal eyelets etc. on them...:rolleyes:

Great Boots, if you're thinking of calling in, ring them first to see if they have your size in stock, they don't always...:thumb

Still on my first pair (10 yrs) I have sent them back to get refurbished and basically got a new pair of boots back!!. Brilliant boots - completely waterproof and I can walk all day in them - including climbing munroes. Try that in yer sidis!!
I don't think that altberg refurbish boots anymore due to tw*ts giving them abuse for not giving new boots back.

Definitely the Hoggs rather than the other one. Used a pair of Hoggs for a couple of years now after I gave away my issued Clubman's....which are still going strong. Better to have something designed for biking than not.

Have you looked at Magnum boots Paul?

THESE are waterproof and 2/3 the price of the Altbergs

m800458_021_1_1.jpg

I've been wearing a pair of Magnums since last summer
, still wear them everyday to ride to work now, and they are by far the comfiest boots I've ever owned.

Mine are these ones: which are only 26 quid :eek:

They are described as warm weather boots, and although they aren't claimed to be waterproof, I've still not yet had a problem with wet feet wearing them on the bike :nenau (and with a pair of ski socks underneath as well, my feet are fine even on the bike or in the shed, where it hasn't got above freezing point all day on several occasions)

pmnCgFEoDZ.JPG

I used to be very anti-altberg and similar boots for riding, but I hold my hands up now and admit I was wrong.......For road riding and all day comfort, these are the mutt's nuts :thumb2

Thanks for the feedback chaps, it looks like Hoggs are the way to go then :thumb2

On their site they claim:-
The Hogg All Weather Original is a ‘made to order’ style –boots are made to individual customer orders. Delivery times for made to order motorcycle boots are usually between 6 and 12 weeks....
looks like I better get on the phone to them tomorrow, might even take a trip upto Richmond next weekend.

Have you looked at Magnum boots Paul?
Already have a pair of them Bill, looking a bit tired now and want to replace them with a pair of Altbergs

Another :thumb2 for the Hoggs. I had the basic ones that aren't supposed to be waterproof but I've splashed about in streams in them and ridden in torrential rain and never got my feet wet. They're always super comfy to walk around in too.

Paul,
Have had Altbergs for years, refurbed one pair ,still going strong at 10 year old. Bought a pair of Hogs 3 years ago at BMF as a summer boot as so much lighter than my clubman boots. Bit stiff to start so took them on a couple of walks after standing in water overnight. Breaks them in quicker. They are awesome in any weather. Had a few 5 mile walks in them. Would advise visiting the factory if you get a chance to do so for that perfect fit.:thumb

My clubmans are now 12 years old and still excellent, my hoggs are about 9 years old and have been used in the past for a 3500 mile european tour and walking in the Alps.
We get issued Altberg Field and Fells at work, worn everyday in outdoor conditions they will last 3 years.They get destroyed by getting wet and then jumping into vans and driving them with the heaters on.
If you are in the area well worth a visit to the factory, the owner is into bikes (old aircooled bmw's) and a genuinely nice bloke.
You can also get proper made to measure if you have wide/narrow feet or fat legs !

Back
Top Bottom