Triple Black vs Rallye?

Molan

Reaction score
So I've been riding for 30+ years and owned all sorts of different bikes. For the past 10 years or so I've tended to have a rotating three bikes in the garage:

One large Beemer cruiser - was an 1150RT, currently a K1200Gt
Some sort of chopped Harley - most lethal was a 2.3 litre drag monster :)
A never ending merry go round of sports bikes - Ducati, Aprilia, MV Agusta, Suzuki Gixxer etc

In between there's been the odd Buell and an Aprilia Caponord (love Aprilia V-twins - hated the Capo!)

Of all the 'iconic' bikes out there I've never owned a GS, although I've ridden a couple of the 1150's and a 1200A.

For years I've been commuting 80'miles a day and the RT and K1200GT have been fabulous for this. However I'm nowmworking from home most of the time and want to get back into riding for fun a bit more :)

Sold my RSVR Factory last autumn and now hope to shift the latest Harley and the, high mileage GT and buy a GS.

I was tempted to go for a new water cooled one but I like the idea of the 'classic' air cooled R series so thought I might try and track down a nice recent 1200.

First thought was to go for a triple black as I thought they looked pretty cool but my local dealer was trying to convince me the Rallye was a better buy and would hold value more.

To be fair he had both in stock and, from what I could make out, the Triples were all specced out to be more or less the same as the Rallyes - they were certainly all the same price.

So my question is - which do I go for, are there things in the Rallye that make it any better than the Triple or is it just colour option stuff?

Any thoughts or advice most welcome :)

It's entirely up to you if you want to go for a "special paintwork" model, so on that basis, I would suggest the following points (in my opinion)

o Lots of people love the Triple Black, few people find them unattractive.

o Some people love the Rallye, lots of people find them unattractive - bordering on hideous.

So - go for the black one, would be my advice.

Al :thumb2

I'm biased, the TB is much nicer:thumb

My vote would be the TB, but then it would be, as I own one:aidan

Pay £12 to subscribe, and you'll be able to see the ones for sale on here:rob:thumb

I'd say Blackal's analysis is fairly spot on. Also I've heard of increased insurance premiums for the Rallye - depends if you're bothered about that type of stuff.

Get the one that YOU like.

What the dealer says is bollocks. - it is just a GSA.

I have an Anniversary model - is it worth more.

Dealer will say it is when he is selling but complete opposite when you are p/x.

Just my opinion though.

Of the two I would get the triple black

Thanks guys :)

The dealer had both models in stock (and several of each) so I'll take a proper look.

I'll probably buy through a dealer just because my old K1200 is really showing its age and the dealer offered me a decent trade in on it. The last two bikes I've sold privately have been a hassle (can't believe how many 'dodgy' characters there are out there!).

You might be surprised how many people on here would be interested in an old K1200 (even if it's showing it's age).

As for the 2 bikes, buy which one you prefer the look/spec of. They're no different to the "ordinary" GS/GSAs, just have different colours.

PS. BLACK is scientifically proven to be the fastest colour :D

You might be surprised how many people on here would be interested in an old K1200 (even if it's showing it's age).

The K1200 is Ok really just that it's hit 44K miles now. Obviously not a lot for one of these but a lot of people won't go near a bike with this sort of mileage on :(

PS. BLACK is scientifically proven to be the fastest colour :D

And there was me thinking that red was the fastest colour!

Must be too many years owning Ducati / Aprilia / MV Agusta. . . :)

The TB is a lovely looking bike, I personally wouldn't buy a Rallye cos it stands out like a sore thumb , if some thug is going to push a bike over or piss on it , then he would choose the pimp wagon..............

TB is so common that it will not attract any premium in the future and will be more difficult to sell.

Ralley is not my favourite colour but will command a premium in the future.

look at the 1150gs se.

Steve.

TB is so common that it will not attract any premium in the future and will be more difficult to sell.

Ralley is not my favourite colour but will command a premium in the future.

look at the 1150gs se.

Steve.

Plus one

I like the Triple Black but it could date quickly . Think racing green in mid 90s and dark brown mid 80s. Red and white always looks good.

The TB is a lovely looking bike, I personally wouldn't buy a Rallye cos it stands out like a sore thumb , if some thug is going to push a bike over or piss on it , then he would choose the pimp wagon..............

That's right up there with some of the strangest reasoning I've ever heard :pullface

Both look better than the standard bike. But my vote, and my cash, goes on the Rallye. And I don't care if it's worth £100 less than a TB in 10 years' time when I sell it.

BMW's worst colour disaster is the red seat on the 30th Anniversary model. IMHO, of course.

Back
Top Bottom