Magdalene Laundries - another Church scandal

Bloody religious-run institution :mad:

Apart from the old and infirm does anyone believe in the merits of having any religion :nenau

Young boys. wayward girls - the RC church just seems to prey on the helpless and needy.

inspired a fantastic song by joni mitchell though.

every cloud...:augie

inspired a fantastic song by joni mitchell though.

every cloud...:augie

Never heard it before..............from the song by Joni Mitchell

I was an unmarried girl
I'd just turned twenty-seven
When they sent me to the sisters
For the way men looked at me
Branded as a jezebel
I knew I was not bound for Heaven
I'd be cast in shame
Into the Magdalene laundries

Most girls come here pregnant
Some by their own fathers
Bridget got that belly
By her parish priest
We're trying to get things white as snow
All of us woe-begotten-daughters
In the steaming stains
Of the Magdalene laundries

Prostitutes and destitutes
And temptresses like me--
Fallen women--
Sentenced into dreamless drudgery ...
Why do they call this heartless place
Our Lady of Charity?
Oh charity!

These bloodless brides of Jesus
If they had just once glimpsed their groom
Then they'd know, and they'd drop the stones
Concealed behind their rosaries
They wilt the grass they walk upon
They leech the light out of a room
They'd like to drive us down the drain
At the Magdalene laundries

Peg O'Connell died today
She was a cheeky girl
A flirt
They just stuffed her in a hole!
Surely to God you'd think at least some bells should ring!
One day I'm going to die here too
And they'll plant me in the dirt
Like some lame bulb
That never blooms come any spring
Not any spring
No, not any spring
Not any spring

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WcTqYpgeDoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers Cookie:thumb

So fecking sad:tears

:mad:

I've got the Chieftains w/Joni Mitchell version. Wonderful song :thumb2:thumb2

Hopefully the McAleese Report will be yet another nail in the coffin of that evil institution - the catholic church.

Every time there is exploitation or sexual abuse of children the Catholic church is right at the front.
The Irish government and judiciary are as guilty between the three of them they were running concentration camps.

This is one of Irelands greatest disgraces. It was not only the Catholic Church but the state and the people. The authorities were aware of what was happening and families knew what they were doing when daughters were consigned to the Magdalen Sisters. The Magdalen laundries were the tip of the iceberg. Industrial schools run by Christian Brothers for boys suffered as well. Their only merit is that the boys were thrown out at the age of 15 I think to fend for themselves. Girls in the Magdalen laundries had a life sentence.

This gives an insight into the suffering and cover-up that went on in these industrial schools.

http://www.childabusecommission.com/rpt/pdfs/CICA-VOL1-07.PDF

Reading any of the many books, watching the films and documentaries about these institutions and hearing the personal experiences of the people who suffered there without access to justice is a heart-breaking experience.

Just listen to Mary Coughlan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHWsLYtxzz0&playnext=1&list=PLAB7DEE3DF4AA2BAD&feature=results_video

For all that is great about Ireland and for all I am proud to be Irish this stain is difficult to bear.

It's alright now - the Irish Premier has apologised.

State, church and the ignorant, dysfunctional parents.
Shocking.

For all that is great about Ireland and for all I am proud to be Irish this stain is difficult to bear.

Well put Peter.

A shower of fuckin bastards the lot of them.

PRIEST = Paedophile Resident In Every Small Town

Jeez

Kiddy fiddling sponsorship
Terrorism sponsorship (why does a priest need loads of timers?)
Abusing trust of vulnerable

Fuck me is there anthing left but the general feeling of utter disgrace

Get your fucking act together religious leaders

And people womder why church attendance continues to dwindle, fucking out of touch upper class idiots

emmylou did a great version too :thumb2

Thanks for that, just downloaded it, another good one :thumb2

Christy Moore also covered the song, amongst others, but I think it's better with a woman's voice. More haunting and appropriate somehow.

And the movie was really disturbing but a must see.

This is one of Irelands greatest disgraces. It was not only the Catholic Church but the state and the people.
*snipped*

FWIW, I don't think it's a stain on the Irish people......The Catholic church must wear that stain, not the Irish :comfort

It's happened all over the world and I for one don't associate it with the people, just the religion.

FWIW, I don't think it's a stain on the Irish people......The Catholic church must wear that stain, not the Irish :comfort

It's happened all over the world and I for one don't associate it with the people, just the religion.

So............wasn't the Irish State complicit too:confused:

And they act like their shit don't stink................

Al

Back
Top Bottom