Blew up my Montesa yesterday...

Michael R1150GS Adventure

Reaction score
... quite dramatic too...

flipped it and landed on its arse/bars/arse and the throttle jammed wide open as the grip was shunted along the bars.

The engine then took off to a billion RPM then kindly seized thirty seconds later.

Anyone experienced this before? The kill switch clearly didnt have any effect as it must have reached self ignition quite happily!

SO then, what to do - cylinder head off shortly for a look see.... any guesses on price of getting cylinder sorted (piston kit about 90 quid is all i know)

DAMN IT - first ride out too... :(

bike looks normal apart from levers hanging off and mudguard is tied back on now - i think the inside of the head may look interesting when it comes off.
I'm sh1tting myself really, but trying to smile :(

You can't really get a price until you know how much damage it's caused as the bore may be ok, need a light hone, a rebore or it's fecked:nenau

In an attempt to cheer you up (not!) I'm wondering if the fact that the bike was upside down revving it's nuts off may mean that the crank/bottom half of the engine may have been starved of oil :nenau

Good luck with it :thumb2

Andres

New cylinders for those are quite expensive, around £800+..

In an attempt to cheer you up (not!) I'm wondering if the fact that the bike was upside down revving it's nuts off may mean that the crank/bottom half of the engine may have been starved of oil :nenau

Good luck with it :thumb2

Andres

it ended up on its side the first time - i couldnt pick it up cos it was in gear.
i'm bloody worried now - 800 QUID?????

sandifords have quoted 300 for the cylinder head replacement new if wanted.
The piston kit is about 90.

Nicoseal cylinder about 150 quid if needed instead plus piston kit.

Somebody is telling porkies here :D

They reckon the bottom end only gets damaged with what I have done if it gets hydraulic water damage, the fact it was on its side should be ok

scary scary scary

That didn't last long did it Michael?

They are bloody dangerous those trials bikes and will have you on your arse before you know it. :augie

That didn't last long did it Michael?

They are bloody dangerous those trials bikes and will have you on your arse before you know it. :augie

Nah they're docile pussies

Don't need much throttle either and if it happens again - pull the plug cap off

Don't need much throttle either and if it happens again - pull the plug cap off[/QUOTE]

Cheers JB, yeah will be ready with a fecking wooden stick if it happens again! and a big pair of rubber gloves :D

SO that does work yeah? plug off will kill the engine no matter the self ignition?

Don't need much throttle either and if it happens again - pull the plug cap off

Cheers JB, yeah will be ready with a fecking wooden stick if it happens again! and a big pair of rubber gloves :D

SO that does work yeah? plug off will kill the engine no matter the self ignition?

Of course it will:blast

May make you hop about a bit though:augie

Seen it at plenty of trials, usually done by demented Dads trying to afford an expensive repair bill when their manic offspring 'bin' it big style

When a bike is revving flat out, it's nigh on impossible to kill an engine with a kill switch, because the current is too fast

Other option is to yank out the throttle cable, from the twistgrip to reduce the revs:thumb

....will be ready with a fecking wooden stick if it happens again
If it happens again and it's in gear and you have a big enough spoon, just jam it in the rear wheel spokes :thumb2
.... When a bike is revving flat out, it's nigh on impossible to kill an engine with a kill switch, because the current is too fast....
Does that only happen when the river is in full flood?

Back
Top Bottom