Would you recommend Buxton?

Gecko

Reaction score
After being outside the UK for many years, we've decided it's time to come back to the UK. I know many people will think that it's a daft thing to do but if you have been away as long as I have, the UK has it's attractions.
We've stuck a pin in the map and landed on Buxton as a place that ticks a lot of boxes for us. We visited for a few days last month in the bleak dark cold days of January and will be back again in the coming weeks. We thought it was a really nice place but we are just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or suggestions before we take the plunge. It's always nice to have some recommendations from the locals.

After being outside the UK for many years, we've decided it's time to come back to the UK. I know many people will think that it's a daft thing to do but if you have been away as long as I have, the UK has it's attractions.
We've stuck a pin in the map and landed on Buxton as a place that ticks a lot of boxes for us. We visited for a few days last month in the bleak dark cold days of January and will be back again in the coming weeks. We thought it was a really nice place but we are just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or suggestions before we take the plunge. It's always nice to have some recommendations from the locals.

Buxton is a nice place in the daytime, but the farmers boys like a good punch up in the evening :D

Great for laning/walking, miserable in the winter unless you like the cold.

I believe the local doctors are generally ex vets and will fist you as a primary way of diagnosis. Apparently it gets easier the longer you live there :nenau

Never lived there - so can't comment on the town specifically - however, last time I visited it struck me that every single A road in Derbyshire had been reduced to a 50 mph limit - not a minor consideration for those who wish to 'make progress', especially given the proliferation of camera vans that the local 'Safety Partnership' (ha-bloody-ha) seem to have bought with donations from the great British motoring public! Having to transit this road system everytime I wanted to get out and about would drive me nuts - but that's just me! :D

If you want rural living and great riding head for North Yorkhire! :rob

Of course there are probably minor considerations like work, family, etc. which push you towards Derbyshire - if so - THINK AGAIN AND SORT YOUR BLOODY PRIORITIES OUT!

Derbyshire had a cricket match cancelled there one year in June because of snow. As others have said it is a tadge cool up there but also may suffer from being in the commuter belt from Manchester
I also recon it has a Stockport postcode that raises yer insurance premiums a tadge
Derbyshire is fab = its in the middle not near to much - but not far away either
I would go a little south Bakewell Asbourne Matlock A6 can be busy at weekends mind
Archie who lived in Overisje for a whilelives now in North Notts near Newark = nice area but a bit quiet
HTHY :thumb2

I would agree with MickDB1.
Derbyshire is a nice place I've lived in Tidza, Outseats, Hope Woodlands (off the Snake) and Birchover but I wouldn't choose Buxton.

Back
Top Bottom