K 100 cast wheel on a chair ?

Shaggy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

does anybody know about the use of a K series wheel on a sidecar ? everything I remember from my younger days said you shouldn't use a cast wheel on the chair as it is not designed to withstand the side forces a sidecar generates and will break at some point. I'm not sure if this refers to all cast motorcycle wheels or only older 'jap' wagon wheel style wheels.

I have recently seen a picture of a Ural bearing a K 100 front wheel on the sidecar and a 2 wheel drive K75 with a K rear wheel fitted to the chair but I just wondered if anyone knows if they will work in the long run.

I have a spare K 100 RS swingarm, diff and rear wheel and was going to incorporate this into my next sidecar build but will it stand the forces involved ?

Any ideas

Shaggy

My R80 outfit has an R80 mono/K75c cast rear wheel on the chair (matching wheels all round).

It was built about 7 or 8 years ago and has done several of the European (by the previous owner/builder. Not me sadly) winter rallies with no apparent damage. When I turn on full lock the sidecar wheel actually gets pushed or pulled sideways.

I think it works fine and fits in well with the look of the outfit. I suppose, if you intended to use your outfit mostly off road spoked wheels all round would be a better choice.

Val.

I reckon it'd be fine too.......but that's purely a gut feeling thing, not based on any facts.

As far as I know, only the Germans do ratings for approval (thus individual testing of stresses and strengths) for chair wheels.......I read last week that the standard wire GS wheel was TUV rated for example.

So.......that might be your way forwards....if the K cast wheel is TUV rated for a chair, it'll have been tested with Germanic efficiency :thumb2

Personally, I'd just fit it :D

EDIT......I think I'd be more worried about the final drive bearing than the wheel TBH.......there's a LOT of lateral forces going on there, and BMW wheel bearing design doesn't have the best reputation on the planet even for a solo :nenau

EDIT again........Unless you're thinking 2WD, which would change things :blast

I reckon it'd be fine too.......but that's purely a gut feeling thing, not based on any facts.

As far as I know, only the Germans do ratings for approval (thus individual testing of stresses and strengths) for chair wheels.......I read last week that the standard wire GS wheel was TUV rated for example.

So.......that might be your way forwards....if the K cast wheel is TUV rated for a chair, it'll have been tested with Germanic efficiency :thumb2

Personally, I'd just fit it :D

EDIT......I think I'd be more worried about the final drive bearing than the wheel TBH.......there's a LOT of lateral forces going on there, and BMW wheel bearing design doesn't have the best reputation on the planet even for a solo :nenau

EDIT again........Unless you're thinking 2WD, which would change things :blast

Cheers for the comments, think i'm going to ditch the idea of using the BM swingarm and diff for mounting the BMW K rear wheel on the chair and just go with a K100 front wheel on the chair via a new stub axle on a Ural swingarm. All the feedback I've had from various forums seem to say the K wheels are fine for general road use on the chair :thumb

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom