Alpine Pass Guide

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Donn't know if this ones been mentioned before but anyone touring the Alps should try and get hold of the following:- Published by DENZEL it's 'GROSSER ALPEN STRASSEN FUHRER',
ISBN 3-85047-763-0
It is written in German but has maps etc of ALL the Alpine Passes in France, Austria,Italy, Switzerland and Slovenia.Its easy to get the drift with the use of a phrase book and dictionary.
Basically it is the definitive guide to all the rideable passes in the Alps and is invaluable if your planning a trip to take in the passes.
Costs about 35 Euros plus postage and it is well worth it.

I'm sure the book is very good.

This free website does it for me. It has the added bonus of being in English. Downside is that it's only portable for very flash gits.

1) They are not very hard to find ... maps are quite useful ....

2) the Alpine Roads Website is kept up to date ...

why do you want to pay for the info ?
It;s not like riding The Road of Bones ..... :rolleyes:

The Alpine Roads website is fairly basic. :(

It depends whether you think its worth £10 or so to get a good book rather than find out when you got home you missed the best routes. As well as covering the passes, the book includes maps and write-ups of places to visit enroute over the passes.

Photos from this year's Z treffen: http://www.zroadster.net/tim/drives/andermatt.html

Tim

Zmeagol said:
The Alpine Roads website is fairly basic. :(

It depends whether you think its worth £10 or so to get a good book rather than find out when you got home you missed the best routes. As well as covering the passes, the book includes maps and write-ups of places to visit enroute over the passes.

Photos from this year's Z treffen: http://www.zroadster.net/tim/drives/andermatt.html

Tim

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh ...
I live here, and find alpineroads great for what I need, and through their gold / silver and bronze rating I do think they highlight the best passes. They are also brutally honest about some of the more dull ones ... something a tour guidr won't do. It will try and dress up even the dullest places. Christ, some even have something nice top say about Andermatt!!

Back
Top Bottom