New tyres needed

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On a 1200RT, it came with BT21 tyres from new but i am not impressed with them as they have flattened off in less than 5000 miles. I have been offered a good price on a pair of Michelin RP3`s, anybody any experience of these tyres ?. are thye any good ?.
Any views on alternatives ?.

On a 1200RT, it came with BT21 tyres from new but i am not impressed with them as they have flattened off in less than 5000 miles. I have been offered a good price on a pair of Michelin RP3`s, anybody any experience of these tyres ?. are thye any good ?.
Any views on alternatives ?.

PR3's are excellent, as IMO are Dunlop RoadSmart 2's. And they are streets ahead of BT21's.

Changing the awful BT021's is the best improvement I've made to my RT :beerjug:

It now steers, grips and handles much, much better, although the carcass of the BT023's is a little too stiff one-up, so the ride is harsh.

Another vote for Michelin PR3's. I got rid of the BT21's after 2000 miles. They were horrible!

BT 023GT

BT 023GT for me, on second set with plenty of life after 5k Alps trip last year.

Got nearly 8000miles on first set: mixture of Scotland/England and trip to Nordkapp (and back).

A set of BT 21s would have been obliterated at 4000 miles or so and they wear dangerously quickly towards the end of their life......:eek:

Would probably try PR3's next time, just for a change as they get rave reviews.

:type

Loved Bridgestones when I rode an RT, hated Metzler Roadtecs, always felt like the front was punctured, never tried PR3's. :rolleyes:

Have a look and see if you can get a pair of PR2 significantly cheaper than the PR3?

You may just save up to £50 a pair by going for the PR2 (which are streets ahead of the BT21 etc)

Al

PR3s every time.
First set lasted 8,000 miles of scratching around Europe on a fully loaded RT last year. The bike handled beautifully with PR3s on; proper "pegs down" stuff. They even coped with a couple of off-road detours.
They were still legal when I took them off, but the handling had become a bit frightening! The handling had started to suffer beyond 7,000 miles in retrospect. I did hammer those tyres though :blagblah
I replaced them with another set of PR3s, and my other bike has PR3's now too.

I'll backup everyones views on the PR3's. I've a set waiting to be fitted at a dealers and I really should get them fitted soon as I've pretty fed up with the stock fit items which scare me constantly.... :(

I am on Metzeler Intertec Z8's and was wondering if anyone had gone through a pair of these and what range they got? Not sure whether to change before this years holiday or not. Already done 2,500 miles and will do 3,000 in Spain, so thought I might change to new tyres before the holiday and then change back later in the year when the new ones are worn out.

Are tyres easy to pick up in Spain?

Ta :thumb2

PR 3's ... don't waste your money on anything else.

I am on Metzeler Intertec Z8's and was wondering if anyone had gone through a pair of these and what range they got? Not sure whether to change before this years holiday or not. Already done 2,500 miles and will do 3,000 in Spain, so thought I might change to new tyres before the holiday and then change back later in the year when the new ones are worn out.

Ta :thumb2

Yes they are as easy to pick up in spain as they are in england. They are the same shape size and weight in both places !.
:jes:jes:jes

I know, i`ll get me coat :hide

On a serious note, I cant speak for spain. But i did get a pair of tyres fitted to the GS in Italy while on holiday. Remember you have bought into the BMW "system" when you got the RT and the whole of the dealer network is at your beck and call. Provided that you dont mind paying BMW prices I would imagine that you will be able to get them done out there.A good place to start is the BMW Spain web site to see if there is a dealer in the area youre going to.
Incidentally, when i got the tyres in Italy they where £40 cheaper than in uk fitted to thw bike.

If you want to be different and like a comfy ride try Conti Road Attack 2. I,m on my second set and love them. They now come in a GT version for heavier tourers. I run the GT rear with the standard front and this works well.

If you want to be different and like a comfy ride try Conti Road Attack 2. I,m on my second set and love them. They now come in a GT version for heavier tourers. I run the GT rear with the standard front and this works well.
+1 I have a set on my RT11 and after 7K they are showing a little bit of squaring, but are still comfy and handle well enough for me, better than the 020's I used to use even if I did get 12K+ a set from them.:beerjug:

To add to my last post I usually change tyres at about 7000 miles regardless and this equates to every 12 months. Iv,e tried lots of different tyres on RT,s and as I said before the Conti's do the job for me. I,m not really interested in wringing the last few miles from a squared off, ill handling and puncture prone tyre. I haven't tried the Pilot Road 3 but have tried the Pilot Road 2 and didn't like them at all. Carcase seemed very stiff to me and very noisy. I originally went over to the Conti's after a recommendation from George over on BM Rider and I find them great, especially the "feel" from the front. But we are all different, especially in the tyre "likes" department.

Rear puncture in my 021's so will change both front and rear. RP3's look favourite but I understand there is a new Pirelli Angel GT - anyone tried them yet?

:beerjug:

R1200RT 13 MY

Best I can get are the Angel GT's at £270 inc. VAT Ride in ride out. Having them fitted tomorrow....

Looks like you'll have to go first!!

Report back on them. The reviews seem good.

How do you find your MY13 RT?
Mine's a late MY12. Finding it very vibey over about 4,000 rpm. Nasty, white finger inducing, when cruising at 80mph and above. I've been told that it's owing to the latest Euro4 mapping by BMW. My older RT (05) was much smoother, as was my MY11 1200R twin cam. Bit disappointed really; seems that a re-map is the only cure.

Back
Top Bottom