800 XC

Still like these and think I may take one out for a test ride next time they have a 2nd hander at Taunton Triumph.

Was in Swindon Triumph the other day and noticed some bikes now had bolt on removable rear footrest hangers - not sure exactly which but think it was the Explorer.

Chatting to an older chap in Wivey today who was riding one of these. He's very pleased with it and rates it over the GS's he has owned. I think if I were in a position to buy a bike at the moment this is what I'd be shopping for.

Thai 800XC

This was mine before I went back to a GSA - just a shame they are made in Factory 5 (Thailand)

Yes - all sub 800cc triumphs are made in Thailand - reduces export tariffs in eastern markets. The Tiger was made in the UK for three years then production was exported. They are very well made of course and many parts and assemblies ate sent from Hinkley to Thailand and vice versa. So if you are thinking of buying a Triumph because it's made in the UK then check which models that apples too! The Explorer is UK made but ALL Tigers are made in Thailand - ask a Triumph dealer as they stand there surrounded by union jack branding and retro marketing.

Where did you get this information from?

I know about the Bonnie being assembled in Thailand but have never heard about the Tiger 800 or 675's etc being made there? :nenau

From another forum.......

"This seems to be the biggest bone of contention on internet forums, so here is the definitive version.
Currently, All Explorers, Trophys, Thunderbirds, Rocket 111`s and Daytona 675`s are made in the UK, everything else is made in Thailand. If you want to check your own bike or one in the showroom there is a fingernail sized black sticker next to or near to the vin number with white writing, which will say F1, F2, F3, F4 or F5.

F1 and 2 are Hinckley, F3 and F4 means parts made in the UK, ie the engine but assembled in Thailand, F5 means made entirely in Thailand. In case you hadn`t figured it out, the F stands for Factory.

All brand new models are initially made in the UK for two years to get production right, before being moved to Thailand, so older Tiger 800`s will have F1 or F2, current ones are F5."

Which forum?

So where do Triumph make the Speed Triple, Street Triple, Tiger Sport and Sprint GT models then?

And what about the factories in India and Brazil. What do they make there? :nenau

A friend bought one after I bought my F800GS, the build and material quality is not anywhere as good as the BMW. The heated grips look like a Paddy Hopkirk after market kit from Halfords. He recently had to have it "re-booted" as it wouldn't tick over and the throttle response was wrong, luckily we were in Blade m/c's car park in Swindon and they fixed it in about five minutes FOC

Great engine and out performs my GS, but I didn't buy an 800 for performance or top end speed.

The heated grips on my 800CX were not up to BMW standards - even on full power they were only as warm as BMW on the lowest setting.

Theyreallymustbe almoststone coldthen. The ones onmy gs are a very poor second to the oxford grips I had on my old pan!

Ive always been a fan of the Triumph 800 engine , tremendously smooth and far nicer to rev than the BMW twin.
However the bike had certain drawbacks.... poor fuel economy/range inferior electronics, lots of heat transferred to your legs, poorer instruments , crappy panniers . Inferior accessories / clothing too.

I liked the height adjustable seat and the stability of the thing in the curves... tremendous fun.

Now Triumph have made heaps of improvements and to be honest I think they have a better overall package than the BMW F800GS!

cut/paste from Triumph ;
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/tiger/2015/2015-tiger-xrx

I bought my GS after testing the earlier version Tiger 800. Tested the new version recently and if I didn't already have the GS I would have chosen the Tiger as its so much better than the early version. The thing is I just can't be arsed to set up another bike to make suit me all over again: screens, seats, bars, foot pegs, suspension etc. Yes, I'm a fussy bugger, but all the GS needs now is a set of Wilbers.

Back
Top Bottom