1989 BMW R100GS-Paris Dakar Restoration

I have one big problem with rebuilds like this..........

I wouldn't want to get it dirty :blast.

Its looking very nice, its a credit to you :thumby: :thumby:

Bob.

Incidentally I was examining an R65 in Jim's workshop and found diagonal tubes across the frame. Then I saw the scarfed joints identical to your mods.

I wouldn't mind seeing pics of that, did he do it? I've seen one other than mine and, like the Butler & Smith ones, it only had the left tube removable.

I believe he did, John. When I pop over again, about 30mins away, I'll take some pics and ask some questions.

I wouldn't mind seeing pics of that, did he do it? I've seen one other than mine and, like the Butler & Smith ones, it only had the left tube removable.

Sorry, that should read 'right tube removable' (age creeping up on me!:)) - although I don't suppose it makes much difference which one it is.

I have one big problem with rebuilds like this..........

I wouldn't want to get it dirty :blast.

that was my biggest problem when I finished project Katmandu.. anyway I've ridden it on salty roads now so its going white and furry so its definitely seconds hand again and I can stop bring precious about it :)

Well I got the gearbox in this afternoon, what a bloody fiddle that was. With foam insulation again protecting the frame it finally went in although I really needed another pair of hands. The clutch rod stuck forward quite a way but this could be depressed an inch or two allowing it all to fall into place.

Rubber gaiter and retaining clip cleaned up and in place. That bloody gaiter, it was like wrestling with an eel.

The driveshaft appears in excellent nick; what a shame it doesn't have grease nipples to keep the inevitable failure (at 50,000 miles) at bay.

Swinging arm put in place and then a big error cropped up. The large female threads (M20x1.5) in the frame were a bit bunged up with powdercoating and after an hour of dremling and coaxing the 'axles' in, I had to admit defeat and try to get the correct tap. I don't want to pay £15 on eBay for a tool I will only use for five minutes so I've put a request in the 'Wanted' section for the loan of one in my area.

I must have fitted a brand new Valeo starter motor when I bought the bike six years ago and I shall replace the hex bolts with Allen bolts as the access with these is poor.

I have the correct tap if you want to borrow it. Would be good for mine to be used a second time.:)

Today my mate lent me an M20x1.5 die and some 20mm conduit pipe so I shall have a go at making my own thread chaser.

Thanks very much for the offers of a loan of the correct tap. Much appreciated kindness:thumb2

Right, I made the homemade M20x1.5 threadchaser, the mini axles are in and the swinging arm is in place. But two things irritated me today, and it wasn't the snow flurries nor my returning cold. Three freekin' weeks now!

Getting the front gaiter on. It's attached to the back of the gearbox but can I get it attached to the swinging arm? Time to leave along for a while and concentrate on something do-able.

Final drive. Got the end gaiter on the end of the swinging arm but then notice the centre of one of the roller bearings has gone AWOL. I searched everywhere but think that when I took it outside to the front path to photograph it, the bearing centre dropped out onto the dirt. I'll look for it - again - tomorrow. Anyone got a spare inner race?

Now something I CAN do. A bit of BS. I got the alloy top cover to the engine and polished the 'BMW' lettering. Simple, I couldn't foul that one up. Oh and the Valeo starter motor is in place but with SS socket headed cap screws and spring washers.

Oh, a word of warning to anyone buying one of those stainless steel fastener kits on eBay for the bike, you know, 250 parts for £8.50 or thereabouts. As I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I have 220 fasteners remaining yet I've had to buy a few dozen which were missing. There is something to be said for going to Chris Shaw Engineering and paying over £100 for a set and getting almost everything which you'd need.:rob

Getting the front gaiter on. It's attached to the back of the gearbox but can I get it attached to the swinging arm? Time to leave along for a while and concentrate on something do-able.

Top tip: put it on the drive shaft first. Then jack the drive shaft up so it is "in-line" with the gear box. Then prise it onto the side of the gear box flange thats easy to access. Now rotate the gaiter making sure its doesn't come of the bit of the flange you can see and it should go on..

Oh, a word of warning to anyone buying one of those stainless steel fastener kits on eBay for the bike, you know, 250 parts for £8.50 or thereabouts. As I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I have 220 fasteners remaining yet I've had to buy a few dozen which were missing. There is something to be said for going to Chris Shaw Engineering and paying over £100 for a set and getting almost everything which you'd need.:rob

yes - I did the same .. all the bolts apreared to me 5mm wrong so I have a box of 200+ unused stainless fastners .. sure they be handy sometime :)

Yes Pete, the swinging arm is horizontal as I have aero-elastics holding it so and moving the gaiter from the swinging arm and attaching it to the gearbox was my next move. Fortunately I have no deadline so can, and have, take my time. Unless I can find the inner race lying in the dirt today, it'll mean a new bearing I'm afraid.

I'm pretty close to replacing the wiring and relays, something I'm not looking forward to. I shall re-use what I have but clean it all up. The green corrosion on the terminals made me wonder how on earth the electrics worked, but I shall set to with needle files, silicon spray (from Maplins) and insulating tape and simply potter along.

I need to re-visit my powdercoaters, this time taking along the repaired battery box, the crash bars, the front timing cover and the 'roo' bars. I have seen a chrome effect powdercoating which was used on the Indian bike featured in the recent Bonneville documentary on TV so I may well try that.

That looks mega clean but I definately prefer the black top cover.

If that's what the rest of the bikes looking like then this is going to be an absolute beaut :thumb2

IMG_3742_zps74ec3660.jpg

IMG_3744_zps72a928d5.jpg

Post-1990 and this upper hole in the oil take off was enlarged from 2mm to 4mm to reduce excessive oil pressure in the oil cooler when starting from cold, so I've drill this out.

IMG_3747_zpsf60dc3e8.jpg

I've fitted a pair of alloy Renthal-type handlebars which have much thick wall material. As the original handlebars had Acerbis hand protectors with 17.5mm O/D expanding bolts, these won't any longer fit, and I need some 12.5mm expanding bolts. Where can I find these please?

Back
Top Bottom