T' Harley Shop

Mutley

Reaction score
I've been asked a few times where to go for spares etc. on older Harleys, so .....

IMHO this is the best place for older HD spares you'll find in the U.K., they also have an encyclopaedic knowledge of bikes and a great line in piss taking:

The Harley Shop
Harley House
Whitwood Common Lane
Whitwood
Castleford
West Yorkshire
WF10 5PD
United Kingdom

No website and no catalogue, just tell them what you want and make sure you know the exact model and year. It helps if you know the part number but I manage to order stuff and they only take the Mickey a bit :blush

Hope that helps :thumb2

They used to be a Harley main dealer. Bought a Sporty and a Lowrider from them....late 80's......Happy days...:aidan

They used to be a Harley main dealer. Bought a Sporty and a Lowrider from them....late 80's......Happy days...:aidan

Correction

They used to be a proper Harley dealer

You wouldn't find a HOG chapter or Harley 'lifestyle' catalogue in there

Visited a few times years ago & it was always a bit daunting

Visited a few times years ago & it was always a bit daunting

I like those type of shops.

They've never been on a customer service course, never use two words when one will do, know what you need before you're halfway through a sentance, has the part in stock, have oily hands and a wooden floor, wear brown coats with grease marks on, writes using a pencil or biro on a piece cardboard, takes the piss out of you at every opportunity, have a mug of cold tea on the counter with a skin on top (once they know you you'll even be offered a mug of tea, in a chipped grubby mug which is an unspoken honour not to be taken lightly) , no fancy packaging or shop branding bollox, not a computer screen in sight.

So much better for your soul than visiting a non descript shiney emporium where every member of staff is dressed the same, with the same false smile, where an enquiry for a rubber grommit leads to an introduction to a salesmen keen to sell you a new bike on a tailored financial deal, where other customers line up to buy the corporate bike clothing and be spoken to like 10 year olds, a "free" latte in a polystyrene cup from machine in the corner, with a rich tea biscuit, a self opening and closing door leading into the emporium as they want to show how much they care about you by saving you the effort of opening it yourself, big oversized plastic carrier bags emblazoned with the name of the shop to carry away your purchase of a keyring with a picture of your model of bike on it or a set of branded biker cufflinks, no one takes the piss out of you, they "care" about you from behind their trendy desks, the parts man wearing a white shirt doesn't have a clue what you're talking about and just looks at his computer while asking if you have the part number, if you're lucky and after 20 minutes when he's worked out what you need he'll then tell you it isn't in stock ......

One of the best known real shops around here was Hamraxs, in ladbroke grove, known as "happy hamrax", and a visit for a young lad was a right of passage. But they looked after and educated you from a young lad, and over time any attempts from others at taking the piss would be water off a ducks back to a hamrax customer.

My local harley independant, Jeff at riverside harleydavidson, follows a similar line to the hamrax route and it can be a very intimidating visit for the typical main dealer "Hog" member who needs their arse wiping and credit card emptying......

It's a good shop but it moved to Holywell Lane in Castleford several years ago.
I sent a posse of Spanish riders there last summer after one of them had an off. I can only imagine the language barrier being a real treat

....But they looked after and educated you from a young lad, and over time any attempts from others at taking the piss would be water off a ducks back to a hamrax customer.

Ditto for Vale-Onslow's in Brum...queueing on a Saturday morning...for yet another piston kit for your moped....getting the "Alright Sonny..what you broke this time? " from the brown coated bloke behind the counter....Note - "counter"..not "desk".... happy days..:rob

I like those type of shops.

They've never been on a customer service course, never use two words when one will do, know what you need before you're halfway through a sentance, has the part in stock, have oily hands and a wooden floor, wear brown coats with grease marks on, writes using a pencil or biro on a piece cardboard, takes the piss out of you at every opportunity, have a mug of cold tea on the counter with a skin on top (once they know you you'll even be offered a mug of tea, in a chipped grubby mug which is an unspoken honour not to be taken lightly) , no fancy packaging or shop branding bollox, not a computer screen in sight.

So much better for your soul than visiting a non descript shiney emporium where every member of staff is dressed the same, with the same false smile, where an enquiry for a rubber grommit leads to an introduction to a salesmen keen to sell you a new bike on a tailored financial deal, where other customers line up to buy the corporate bike clothing and be spoken to like 10 year olds, a "free" latte in a polystyrene cup from machine in the corner, with a rich tea biscuit, a self opening and closing door leading into the emporium as they want to show how much they care about you by saving you the effort of opening it yourself, big oversized plastic carrier bags emblazoned with the name of the shop to carry away your purchase of a keyring with a picture of your model of bike on it or a set of branded biker cufflinks, no one takes the piss out of you, they "care" about you from behind their trendy desks, the parts man wearing a white shirt doesn't have a clue what you're talking about and just looks at his computer while asking if you have the part number, if you're lucky and after 20 minutes when he's worked out what you need he'll then tell you it isn't in stock ......

One of the best known real shops around here was Hamraxs, in ladbroke grove, known as "happy hamrax", and a visit for a young lad was a right of passage. But they looked after and educated you from a young lad, and over time any attempts from others at taking the piss would be water off a ducks back to a hamrax customer.

My local harley independant, Jeff at riverside harleydavidson, follows a similar line to the hamrax route and it can be a very intimidating visit for the typical main dealer "Hog" member who needs their arse wiping and credit card emptying......

Always tried to find these places for everything to do with any kind of mechanical things:thumb
What you have written there is spot on......They are hard to find these days, but I found one last year when I was fixing the SLS on the Merc:thumb2
Proper job.
I like the way you summed it all up:cool

Ditto for Vale-Onslow's in Brum...queueing on a Saturday morning...for yet another piston kit for your moped....getting the "Alright Sonny..what you broke this time? " from the brown coated bloke behind the counter....Note - "counter"..not "desk".... happy days..:rob

Parts never came in a box from Vale-Onslow's either, just wrapped in wax paper. If you were on a bike and were going to stick the part inside your jacket they sometimes found a bit of newspaper to package it in as well :rob

Digging into the brain cells...It was run by a guy called John Davey....a bright bloke with a big gob, who you either liked or you didn't. He couldn't care less either way. I remember that he gave me a pile of free stuff when one his 'Tecs' screwed up a service on my 'bike. Died a few years ago.

There was a very good mechanic there called Tom (IIRC) I bent his ear a few times, dicking around with carbs/exhausts etc....Fairly sure he didn't drift off to Eddie Wright's. Anyone know where he went?.....:nenau

Happy Hamrax

Blimey there's a 1980 window in my aged memory opened up! Thanks Neil.

Re OP - I don't have an old Harley, only a new old one (2005) :D

My local bike (as is pedal and motor) shop when I first started was similar - if he got to know you, the MOT consisted of filling in the paperwork ;) You wiped your feet on the way out....

A

What fit What

Could do with an updated What fits What that covers the Evos as the last edition 6th? only goes to 83.
Had a clear out over Christmas and chucked a Harley Shop catalogue (1992) that was a reasonable cross-reference for parts when I was running Shovels and early Evos. Never been to the shop but was always good mail order service.
Use Revs these days.

Back
Top Bottom