Z650 Running problems

Dan_seed

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just looking for a bit of a sanity check please:

I have been having running problems with my Z650 F2. It would start and run fine warm up and the run rough on 2/3 cylinders and eventually cut out. It would then be a nightmare to start until it went again.

I was convinced it was fueling and therefore have had the carbs off for a clean and replaced the float valves.

Come to start it up again, with fresh fuel and now got it started but running rough. It seems it was only running on 2 cylinders. Outside 2 exhaust outlet were cold whilst inner 2 were hot (burnt hand:augie). I can see that the 2 outside HT leads go to the same ignition coil. Would it be a fair assumption that the coil has been breaking down and is now shot?

Would love to get this running well again as I really need to sell this.

Cheers in advance.

Daniel

Yes - but find if there's power getting to the coil. Chances are you can't swap over the coils - HT leads inbuilt? - but take off the suspect one and check with a meter. Someone will have specs online for it. Good luck.

Is it possible to swop coils over and check if good cylinders go bad?

Chances are no, because of the length of HT leads that may mean they don't fit. Can't remember how much there is free on the 650s.

Probably not a lot to play with. However, if it is known that the bike will start and run on cylinders 2 & 3 only, the coil for 1 & 4 can be checked on 2 & 3 by simply swapping the HT leads (which are longer) and the feed wires. No need to even remove the coil. If there's no spark and it won't run then the coil may be goosed. If not check the feed from the points or electronic ignition.

Also check the caps and lead connection, cutting off 10mm and rescrewing them back in can often get rid of this kind of problem.

The fact that it starts running and then dies could be an air flow/leak problem ( if it's defiantly not the coils ). Give the inlet rubbers a good inspection, they will perish over time and become split or porus.

Great bikes m8, I had many years of stripping and building Zed 6's, i'm actually thinking of getting another to do up as my 1100 never needs any spannering :beerjug:

Let us know how you get on.

The fact that it starts running and then dies could be an air flow/leak problem ( if it's defiantly not the coils ). Give the inlet rubbers a good inspection, they will perish over time and become split or porus.

Boot polish is a good temp fix for the inlet rubbers. Seals any cracks and they look good too :rob

Boot polish is a good temp fix for the inlet rubbers. Seals any cracks and they look good too :rob

And hairspray on the coils, if they've cracked and are letting moisture in (you have to dry them out first). As I remember the symptom was intermittent running, coils would cut out when it rained. Not sure if it was a common problem on Kawasakis, back then I spent more time around clapped-out Hondas and Suzukis.

Does nothing for looks unless you apply it to your bouffant.

Back
Top Bottom