Carburetter, Evo's ?

I remember a 300 mile trip in about 1993 in cold rain when the carb on my wife's FXR iced up and mine didn't. She had a SE butterfly carb and I had a Mikuni HSR40 on my FXST :nenau

I also remember the carb on my mate's Vauxhall Viva icing up on a stinking hot humid day. It was about 1968 and we were coming back from the coast.

As I understand it.. Humidity is the bigger issue over temperature!!

I remember a 300 mile trip in about 1993 in cold rain when the carb on my wife's FXR iced up and mine didn't. She had a SE butterfly carb and I had a Mikuni HSR40 on my FXST :nenau

I also remember the carb on my mate's Vauxhall Viva icing up on a stinking hot humid day. It was about 1968 and we were coming back from the coast.

My Fxr with an S & S super needs addative, my wifes bike same engine age model has HSR42 and never needs it, so you pays your money and take your choice.

The carb on my 1989 1200 Sportster used to ice up in cold weather. it would cut out after a couple of miles, I'd wait a few minutes and then it would fire up and be ok for the rest of the trip. Seems to be a well known issue if you google it.

Right replaced the plugs and leads, Old plugs where very black and sooty Then i pulled the carb off, it also looks very sooty inside and there seems to be something not quite right with the plastic bit above the slide, looks like a little bit has melted :nenau

1162a30a-132f-44c4-bd19-7235b1f79832_zpsb7dbbabc.jpg

b478c96e-37c1-4d08-9e56-a62f3230cc9e_zps2903a7f3.jpg

ea0370e2-0419-4fa5-add4-b1de2e62a964_zpsc0d907bd.jpg

Got an SU carb on mine and you have to tickle it before you start it.
I guess there may be some on here not familiar with this tickleing lark, but if you have had a brit bike with an Amal, you will know what I am speaking of:thumb
Just a couple of tickles, crank and all is good, no choke(thats what the tickle is for) and keep a hand on the throttle, couple of mins and away yer go, no matter what the weather is:cool.

I don`t know who did the conversion from EFi to carb, but they did a bloody good job of it:cool

Got an SU carb on mine and you have to tickle it before you start it.
I guess there may be some on here not familiar with this tickleing lark, but if you have had a brit bike with an Amal, you will know what I am speaking of:thumb
Just a couple of tickles, crank and all is good, no choke(thats what the tickle is for) and keep a hand on the throttle, couple of mins and away yer go, no matter what the weather is:cool.

I don`t know who did the conversion from EFi to carb, but they did a bloody good job of it:cool

tickle them too much and they leak......bit like the missus... :)

Back
Top Bottom