Estonia - Russia - Finland border crossings

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'll be travelling from Tallinn to Turku (Finland) in July via St Petersburg, so it looks like the only convenient border crossing out of Estonia is at Narva/Ivangorod.

There are however two possible border crossings out of Russia depending on which route I take through Finland. The main E18 route towards Helsinki looks like a major crossing point (potentially with long delays?), but there's another quieter looking border crossing further north on route 13 at Nuijamaa heading towards Lappeenranta - anyone got any experience on which of these 2 crossings is the better bet?

I'll be travelling from Tallinn to Turku (Finland) in July via St Petersburg, so it looks like the only convenient border crossing out of Estonia is at Narva/Ivangorod.

There are however two possible border crossings out of Russia depending on which route I take through Finland. The main E18 route towards Helsinki looks like a major crossing point (potentially with long delays?), but there's another quieter looking border crossing further north on route 13 at Nuijamaa heading towards Lappeenranta - anyone got any experience on which of these 2 crossings is the better bet?

Watch out when you enter Russia from Estonia. The border was not a problem but on the Russian side they were seriously into scams when we crossed a few years back. Just obey every letter of the law and stop when there's a stop sign and wait for officialdom to appear otherwise you'll find a "fine" awaiting you.

We didn't use the main Helsinki border crossing but we did use the quieter one and it was great, no delays and the people there helpful. The road there was a bit rough but not a problem.

Enjoy.

Nuijamaa is definately your best choice. There has been some improvements with extra staffing there...finnish side anyways. Long queques of lorries still to be expected. Just go past them. It should be easier to get out than to get in via Estonia.

How much did the Russian Visa cost you and who did you use to get it?

Nuijamaa is definately your best choice. There has been some improvements with extra staffing there...finnish side anyways. Long queques of lorries still to be expected. Just go past them. It should be easier to get out than to get in via Estonia.

Good to know that, thanks. I'm assuming that if I reach a queue of cars that I will need to join the end of that queue, right?

How much did the Russian Visa cost you and who did you use to get it?

Haven't got it yet ! I need to request a LOI from the hotel I'm staying at in St Pete. As per petculs post, all visa apps go via VFS now so I just need to decide whether to apply by post or in person

Just realised I'm still not clear on whether to apply for a normal tourist visa and take all my vehicle docs with me, or whether I should apply for an auto tourism visa :duno

- anyone?

Haven't got it yet ! I need to request a LOI from the hotel I'm staying at in St Pete. As per petculs post, all visa apps go via VFS now so I just need to decide whether to apply by post or in person

I was considering getting into Russia from Finland, then making my way round to Estonia via St. Petersburg. But at over £100 for the visa, plus the pain of organising the Auto Tourism stuff, they obviously don't want me to spend my money in their country. :blast

Helsinki ferry to Tallinn is cheaper and less hassle. :rolleyes:

The VFS web site says its £30 for a visa, was the £100 you mention quoted by an agency for them to do the visa application for you ?

I'm sure I've read of others not bothering with the auto tourism visa and just turning up at the border with a tourist visa and their V5. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to either back that up or tell me its a damn fool idea :D

The VFS web site says its £30 for a visa, was the £100 you mention quoted by an agency for them to do the visa application for you ?

I'm sure I've read of others not bothering with the auto tourism visa and just turning up at the border with a tourist visa and their V5. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to either back that up or tell me its a damn fool idea :D

Depends on the type of visa you get and how quickly you want it.

"Along with the visa fees, there is a service charge applicable per visa application:"

I don't know if I read it wrong on the VFS website, but it would seem single entry is £50 plus a service charge of £27.60 plus return of Passport at £7.40 which equals £85 - double entry is another £15 so £100 total. :nenau

Unless you know different. :confused:

Like I said, the ferry is cheaper. So it would seem they don't want me to spend my money in their country. :rolleyes: Pity really, would like to go but I'm not prepared to spend £100 just for a bit of bureaucracy in my passport..

You're right - I'd quickly scanned the VFS web site and saw the £27.60 but missed the statement about that being a service fee on top of the visa fees - just assumed the service fee was the total price to pay :mad:

As I will be travelling with Mrs Vee5 who particularly wants to see St Pete I guess I'll be coughing up......

Incidentally I couldnt see anything on the VFS site about autotourism visas :confused: - have you seen that info anywhere?

Pity really, would like to go but I'm not prepared to spend £100 just for a bit of bureaucracy in my passport..

Actually their visa fees are based on reciprocal charges - Russians (on lower average salary's than Brits) have to pay the same level of fees for a visa to UK! and the bureaucracy is even harder - know quite a few respectable people who have been turned down - or told 2 months is not long enough to deal with the process!

British visa app process is a nightmare and many of our consul staff should be chained to gates outside the embassy .... in the middle of winter !!

You're right - I'd quickly scanned the VFS web site and saw the £27.60 but missed the statement about that being a service fee on top of the visa fees - just assumed the service fee was the total price to pay :mad:

As I will be travelling with Mrs Vee5 who particularly wants to see St Pete I guess I'll be coughing up......

Incidentally I couldn't see anything on the VFS site about autotourism visas :confused: - have you seen that info anywhere?

I got a double entry Auto tourism Visa from the Russian Embassy in Dublin last year and I think the question was on the online application form.
I had not got my bike details and registration number on the LOI which I had got from the very helpful David at Stantours and had to have the letter reissued.
The Russians love their paperwork and stamps to match and you must be very careful to fill in every detail exactly correctly.
It seems to be accepted that it is a all right for motorcyclists to go practically to the top of border custom queues as long as you don't slot in front of a Black Government or Mafioso car but they have probably pushed right thru anyway

Back
Top Bottom