What to see in Prague ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Chaps ... Some help please !
Off to Prague next week, sadly not on the bike ... I know it's a lovely place ... There are 8 of us going ... That's 4 couples not 8 blokes so get the idea .... just for 2 nights staying at The Old Hilton ... So if you only had a couple of days what would you go and see for certain ?
Thanks in anticipation !:beerjug:

Chaps ... Some help please !
Off to Prague next week, sadly not on the bike ... I know it's a lovely place ... There are 8 of us going ... That's 4 couples not 8 blokes so get the idea .... just for 2 nights staying at The Old Hilton ... So if you only had a couple of days what would you go and see for certain ?
Thanks in anticipation !:beerjug:

See that search button up there above your post?

Click on it, then type in 'Prague'

Not being funny, but you may get 20 people posting on this thread about Prague, but if you do a search for it, you'll find 300+ reviews, comments, hints and tips about the place :thumb

Unless of course you were just happy to be going to Prague and disguised the fact that you are going by modestly hiding it behind a faux question:augie

Enjoy......fantastic city, lovely people, great area....now just go search and all you need will be revealed :comfort

In no particular order:

The castle
The cathedral
The old town
Kafka's house
Wenceslas bridge
The clock striking the hour in the market square
The opera
A beer hall
A good quality pole dancing club

Jewish quarter should be high on your list

Most days at around 10 you will find students hovering around the astronomical clock offering free tours of the city. Obviously pot luck with who you get but we wandered round with a small party lead by a yank. Very informative and highly enjoyable. Idea is you tip him at the end if you like what you here but there is no obligation to do so.

My personal view is Prague has lost some of the charm that drew people there say 10-15 years ago, they've learnt to exploit the tourists (which is fair enough I suppose) but left a bitter taste for me. That's not to say it's not a great city, just do your homework and go there with your eyes wide open.

In no particular order:

The castle
The cathedral
The old town
Kafka's house
Wenceslas bridge
The clock striking the hour in the market square
The opera
A beer hall
A good quality pole dancing club

....the mini Eifel Tower overlooking the city near the castle :thumb

Two nights is about right as the city centre is very compact and we became bored when we went for three nights.

Thank you all for your help ... that's a decent list to be getting on with .. and Fanum .. thanks for the "search" prompt .. don't know these things till you try ! Ta !

Yes but:

Two nights is about right as the city centre is very compact and we became bored when we went for three nights.
You pay to go up the tower and it's not great.
However, the exhibition in the tower basement is priceless. And it's free in.
If you like music, you can get to 3 concerts a day and a different opera each evening.

Otherwise just as previous correspondant has suggested.

Theresienstadt (Terezin) concentration camp is less than an hour from Prague, and this sobering place is well worth a visit. It is a Napoleonic walled town taken over for the duration of WW2. It was a transit camp to Austwitz, so, in the duration of the war, only 13 people were executed there. However, over 39,000 died from neglect.
When I visited there around 6 years ago, I was shown the cell (In darkness)
where Gavrilo Princip died of tuberculosis in 1918. He was the man who shot dead the Archduke Ferdinand, thus triggering the Great War, and the subsequent WW2 after a breather to regroup.
I pointed my camera into the dark cell and took a flash photograph.
On looking later, I found a newly laid spray of flowers on his bed.
What hope is there for the Balkans when some people still think he is a hero?

Even Adolph recognised that Prague was the cultural centre of Europe, and he was going to make it the cultural centre of his Third Reich, but the tour was cut short by events so it never happened.
Myke

I worked there for 12 months and was never bored. Great bars and clubs crammed with gorgeous women, great restaurants, lots of deco architecture, cheap good quality lager. What's not to like?

Try Cafe Louvre. It's where Einstein used to play pool http://www.cafelouvre.cz/en/

Ok .. We are back and had a great time .. thank you once again one and all for your input ... it was great to see everything that was suggested .. but missed the pole dancing club !
SPM .. I think we had the same tour guide .. very good he was too.
Cheap beer and friendly natives all around The Old Town made for a very pleasant 3 days.
Would love to have seen more but just ran out of time !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom