Farkle development including the front crud

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys, already over a dozen of the `brethren` have been kind enough to `pre` order the front crud off me for the new LC - seriously, its a bit humbling :bow considering that until Friday I didn`t even have an LC!

Anyway, she got collected on Friday, garaged straight away as I had a family weekend away. Got back last night and have spent a very long day fooling around looking at designs. I`ve only done 41 miles on her and yes the new LC seems a lovely improved bike! Not too sure about some of the changes though..............(mebbe for later...).

Anyway, the reason for the new thread is to get some input - I`m not too far up my own chuff to think I know it all (you wanna have an IQ in single figures....) and I`ve been humbled with all the positive suggestions people have taken the time to make which has helped me make lovely stuff appreciated by nearly everyone :bow

So, take a look at the images and see what you think - I was undecided on the final prototype so I made 3. One is a `touring` version (god knows why I called it that) which gives more protection, another is a `sports` version (another `no idea` on why I called it that) and finally, the one I like and have left on my LC is the `slim` sports version! They all do the same job, protecting the very bottom of the engine from grit blasting then consequent rotting but I do like the smaller one...............

I`ve tried to get some `style` into the item (this time.....) yet try to retain the practical job it has to do. Apart from the shape etc I`m keen to hear what people have got to say about the `LC` logo laser etched on the `touring` :nenau

All of them are attached using very high quality stainless fasteners and hand finished thick stainless tube for spacers (which is a ball ache to cut, drill and deburr)

This ISNT a selling thread (that will appropriately appear elsewhere and once I have listened to all kind opinions) and I hope to post more items for improvement as time goes by).

getting stuck in by cymarceng, on Flickr

So, let me know what you think, all I am after is a final item which we, as bikers, isn`t stack `em high sell `em cheap mass produced crap and does a good job :thumby:
8609571887_abc020713f.jpg
[/url]
Slim sports from below by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

8609571823_e91ff86b21.jpg
[/url]
All Three by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

8609571977_9db27aacac.jpg
[/url]
Touring close up by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

8609572005_45416ab5bc.jpg
[/url]
Touring from below by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

8609575031_ef1ccf10dd.jpg
[/url]
Touring by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

By the way the `sports` one does extend down over the gap between the sump guard and the `slim sports` one - you can see the extra material in the `all three` image.

Great job Marc. Tourer looks to provide most protection and like the LC logo. GS logo would add to it in my opinion. 4 bolts v 2 on the sport I guess makes for an easier fit. Aesthetically I agree with you on the sport version. Looks neat and tidy but just wonder if it does less of a job than the tourer.

As this is to provide protection I think the touring is the one. But as the new bikes is styled using angles and vee shapes could you incorporate these cues in the top edge design as the large curve between bolts and radius around top bolts looks a little old hat dare I say.

BTW respect to you as concept is great.

:thumb+ 1 for the tourer for me mate.,sitting in damam lounge now over night flight and straight into oceans tomorrow to park my arse on one for the first time.
Lets see if I need the lowered version after all
:flag

Looking good.
I like the touring version.

Now what would be good is a conversion kit to adapt the current ADV rear grab rails and rack to fit the new bike.

In no rush,Friday will do.:toungincheek

Steve

crud catcher

great work as usual mark:bow:bow
touring gets my vote...but they are all looking good :D

never underestimate the power of opinion!

Well spank me till I am rosy red :D

Honestly, there`s me thinking `the lads will like the `sports` version coz it looks tastier`

Just goes to show how much I know :blast

Well, I have to agree with you all, the `toruing does seems more purposeful and the opinion about shape is a very valid one too!

I wonder if anyone will like the `sports` over the `touring`...............

8611089100_9c1b0f6900.jpg
[/url]
Slim sports distance shot by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

:thumb+ 1 for the tourer for me mate.,sitting in damam lounge now over night flight and straight into oceans tomorrow to park my arse on one for the first time.
Lets see if I need the lowered version after all
:flag

Nah you don`t - you always think you do but in the end you realise that a full fat one is just fine! safe travels :thumb

As this is to provide protection I think the touring is the one. But as the new bikes is styled using angles and vee shapes could you incorporate these cues in the top edge design as the large curve between bolts and radius around top bolts looks a little old hat dare I say.

BTW respect to you as concept is great.

Fair point

Thats good then!

Thanks for that coz I thought it looked good and took ages to control the laser (which can blast through 16mm thick sheet steel like a knife through butter) delicately enough to `etch` the surface and get a result which didn`t look like a mess.

i thought it added some `quality` too :thumb

I think I will put it on the cruds unless anyone of us can think of something better :nenau

(could be opening the floodgates here....................)

Yes,adds a touch of class to the finish.

Steve

Mark, first class job :thumb well done and so quick after delivery I call that dedication.

I do like the sport version, however my thoughts (for what they're worth) are that because the touring versions lower edge appears to extend over the leading edge of the bash plate, it would offer better protection and stops road crud from getting through the bottom of the crud catcher and the bash plate, therefore when ordering I'd also go for the touring version.

Love the "LC" logo however I wonder if there is room to put "GS" either above or below (I appreciate there doesn't look as though there is enough room along side each other)

Looking forward to finished product :thumb

Cheers

BK

Assume I'll be getting mine b4 the Surrey brigade cuz our bikes were born from the same stealers. :friday

Back
Top Bottom