Mikuni carb question

corsicandreamer

I,d rather be ski-ing
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just received a new Mikuni vm30 for my good ladies sorrow, problem is the nipple on the throttle cable is drum shaped and way to big to fit the carb.

Do i file it down till it fits, or do i need another cable ?

Attachments

• SAM_4807.jpg
    SAM_4807.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 128
  • SAM_4808.jpg
    SAM_4808.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 134
  • SAM_4809.jpg
    SAM_4809.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 129
Big barrel nipple: fits on outside of carb on a linkage.
dinky little 'long' nipple: fits internally on the slide.

makes me think;
wrong carb? :confused:

If it's not wrong / but an upgrade - you'll need to get one either off another bike (p.i.t.a. to source - but cheap and handy thereafter).
Or,
get a bespoke one (someone will be along soon with a source :D ) - and that will cost more and you'll have to measure up (inner and outer length and nipple type) yourself.

Thanks Og, its a kit from "Allens" as the original is not available and i have been unable to source a replacement used one.
It arrived yesterday and by the time i arrived home from work and fitted it Allens were closed.
Since it was sold as a kit should it have included all things needed to make it work ? or is that expecting too much. :thumby:

Since it was sold as a kit should it have included all things needed to make it work ? or is that expecting too much.
Yes and yes. :blast
Though contacting Allens would be my first move - they at least should be able to guide you towards a suitable cable.
I've had to 'invent' solutions for cable problems in the past and it's not hard - just a feckin nuisance. :rolleyes:
Post pics if you can - it may help.
Good Luck.

Or,
get a bespoke one (someone will be along soon with a source :D ) - and that will cost more and you'll have to measure up (inner and outer length and nipple type) yourself.

Venhill have made cables up for me before, and they worked out cheaper than OEM cables.

New carb, new cable, new soldering iron to solder nipple on, and that is that.
She runs again mrs. happy :D just waiting for a kit to arrive to change the output shaft seal and spacer on my DRZ. Next !

Just received a new Mikuni vm30 for my good ladies sorrow, problem is the nipple on the throttle cable is drum shaped and way to big to fit the carb.

Do i file it down till it fits, or do i need another cable ?

How much did Allens charge for the VM30? Also, what was the problem with the original Mikuni? I have a Serow with a problem carb - despite being rebuilt by NRP, it's still running lean (already replaced inlet manifold & coil) and interested to hear why you went with the vm30 and what you'd tried with the original?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom