Regarding The North West's Monthly Meeting...

(RIP) DitchWater

I fell ill once...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For the last year or so a number of us have been meeting for a spot of dinner and a chat in a Boozer somewhere along the the A41 In Cheshire. This arrangement has become known to be The North West Meeting in that time and has been perfectly adaquate apart from the few complaints about the southerly location from those in Manchester and a couple of moans about the food in The Black Dog. For clarity, I for one will stand up and say that the meals from The Black Dog are rubbish and have done so. It was those complaints which has moved us to the Cheshire Cat ,near Chester, for the last couple of months,

Now, those in Manchester, and Lancashire, have good reason to complain that "it's just too far". That is especially pertinent during the winter months, and understanble, even if we haven't seen anyone from the IOM so far over the last year. ;) So, what is acceptable? Where should we be meeting? Do we maintain the current cliche or expand it to those who wish to join in from afield by travelling further north?

PS. It's not my idea, nor a coup, but may be worth asking those with an interest.

PPS. Vern: There's Gammon and Chips on the menu. :)

The Blue Bell was the best place so far, interesting old pub that you didn't feel the need to be wearing a suit and tie to enter.

Find somewhere like that, doesn't matter where:thumb

:blast

I thought it was supposed to be a meet to have a pint, catch up and talk bollocks!

My thoughts are there are some whinging twats who really should let others get on with it.

If you want gastro food, turn up in a suit and tie (and the car) and we can all ya ya and drink expensive wine. Alternatively, lets have a pie and a pint and talk bollocks:thumb2

Nce when has a bike meet been about the food:blast:blast:blast

i like a pint or six,but dont drink when im on the bike.couldnt the meets be in a greasy spoon somewhere.intead of paying pub prices for soft drinks and food. just my tuppence worth. ps.i dont ware a suit or own a flash car. pps i cant spell either how do you spell ware were where.

Spot on Flip:thumb

It just boils my piss. The North West section doesn't seem to be able to organise a piss up in a brewery.

I used to go to the windmill meet. Nice pub, good food, decent location. Then it moved and moved again, then moved once more, why???

There's a pub called the Hops in Crewe. Nice beer, old school wooden bench seats and if ya get there early they do a pretty good pork pie and gastro crisps :thumb2

I meet with a Crewe bike club there every now n then, it's a good little spot. How feckin hard can it be?

I was happy enough with the Black Dog. Nice ride there, food was ok, company was good, just missing a buxom barmaid, but hey ya can't have everything :D

The sad thing is I wanted to bring Shep to this months, but it was all a bit last minute and hardly anyone was going so I did feel a touch embarrassed at the whole affair.

Pick a pub. If people turn up great, if they don't it'll fizzle to nothing.

There's some good pubs by the canal in Middlewich, old school boozers, same in Northwich. The old brown jug in Newcastle under lyne is a great old school boozer, then there's the old pub on the square in Sandbach or the Bear between Sandbach and Holmes Chapel (great foor and quite olde worlde). Then there's the Leopard in Natwich which is good and the Plough at Eaton near Congleton which is a great eatery and has a nice beer garden.

How hard can it be :nenau

You can't please everyone, so hows about we just have a bike meeting where you can talk bollocks and get enough to put in ya belly so that you don't die of hunger :thumb2

It just boils my piss. The North West section doesn't seem to be able to organise a piss up in a brewery.

I used to go to the windmill meet. Nice pub, good food, decent location. Then it moved and moved again, then moved once more, why???

There's a pub called the Hops in Crewe. Nice beer, old school wooden bench seats and if ya get there early they do a pretty good pork pie and gastro crisps :thumb2

I meet with a Crewe bike club there every now n then, it's a good little spot. How feckin hard can it be?

I was happy enough with the Black Dog. Nice ride there, food was ok, company was good, just missing a buxom barmaid, but hey ya can't have everything :D

The sad thing is I wanted to bring Shep to this months, but it was all a bit last minute and hardly anyone was going so I did feel a touch embarrassed at the whole affair.

Pick a pub. If people turn up great, if they don't it'll fizzle to nothing.

There's some good pubs by the canal in Middlewich, old school boozers, same in Northwich. The old brown jug in Newcastle under lyne is a great old school boozer, then there's the old pub on the square in Sandbach or the Bear between Sandbach and Holmes Chapel (great foor and quite olde worlde). Then there's the Leopard in Natwich which is good and the Plough at Eaton near Congleton which is a great eatery and has a nice beer garden.

How hard can it be :nenau

You can't please everyone, so hows about we just have a bike meeting where you can talk bollocks and get enough to put in ya belly so that you don't die of hunger :thumb2

sounds good to me.im out on the bike tomoz,anyone want to meet up.

my 2p black dog was crap food puds were good but thats all barmaids were shit:D

i dont care where we go so long as the food is good if we are eating which we have done for a couple of years now and it always becomes a talking point;)

anyway for the summer happy to travel anywhere as long as gs not pissing oil everywhere:eek:

Bule bell was ok although some of had our mains before our starters :toungincheek

or we could have a choice from the regulars Wideparting your choice for May????
or 2 summer monthly meets 1 where we get shitfaced with Flip:jager in the drinkers pub taxi
and 1 where for is served!!
any way happy to arrive in a suit or a gs:augie

my 2p black dog was crap food puds were good but thats all barmaids were shit:D

i dont care where we go so long as the food is good if we are eating which we have done for a couple of years now and it always becomes a talking point;)

anyway for the summer happy to travel anywhere as long as gs not pissing oil everywhere:eek:

Bule bell was ok although some of had our mains before our starters :toungincheek

or we could have a choice from the regulars Wideparting your choice for May????
or 2 summer monthly meets 1 where we get shitfaced with Flip:jager in the drinkers pub taxi
and 1 where for is served!!
any way happy to arrive in a suit or a gs:augie

Hold on cowboy!! I'm not a big drinker :eek:

I do however appreciate a bog standard boozer and couldn't give a monkeys about the food. It's about catching up with mates and talking shite for me. We could go for a Christmas meal for food, the monthly meet is for laughing and taking the piss :thumb2

Just an idea, How about we meet in a different part of the region each month that way it won't be excluding anyone on the grounds of distance traveled to every meet :blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:beerjug:

The IMHO the Windmill was popular because;

1) It was at the same time, same day,same venue for several years so people knew when & where it was even if they hadn't logged on here for a while
2) Because of the above you could just turn up safe in the knowledge that there would/should be at least a few faces there even in winter
3) It was easy to get to for anyone from Cheshire,Lancashire, Greater Manchester, The Wirral, North Wales or North Staffs.

We had more than 30 bikes there on a number of occasions in the summer.

The downsides were it wasn't a pretty location, it wasn't a great ride to it from any direction ( mostly dual carriageways or motorway) and although the staff were very happy to see us it was arguably a bit 'posh' and not a proper pub like Flip is suggesting. Some may also cite the fact that we had 30+ bikes there on occasion as a downside too, although in the early days the 1150s outnumbered the 12s.;)

Due to work its often quite hard for me to get to a NW meet nowadays wherever it may be.....

Just my 2p.

Just an idea, How about we meet in a different part of the region each month that way it won't be excluding anyone on the grounds of distance traveled to every meet :blagblah:blagblah:blagblah:beerjug:

Probably better to have a couple of meets (North & South ?) on different weeks and then one could choose or do both. It also really needs one person(per venue) to push it every month like Vern has to get people to come along.

The IMHO the Windmill was popular because;

1) It was at the same time, same day,same venue for several years so people knew when & where it was even if they hadn't logged on here for a while
2) Because of the above you could just turn up safe in the knowledge that there would/should be at least a few faces there even in winter
3) It was easy to get to for anyone from Cheshire,Lancashire, Greater Manchester, The Wirral, North Wales or North Staffs.

We had more than 30 bikes there on a number of occasions in the summer.

The downsides were it wasn't a pretty location, it wasn't a great ride to it from any direction ( mostly dual carriageways or motorway) and although the staff were very happy to see us it was arguably a bit 'posh' and not a proper pub like Flip is suggesting. Some may also cite the fact that we had 30+ bikes there on occasion as a downside too, although in the early days the 1150s outnumbered the 12s.;)

Due to work its often quite hard for me to get to a NW meet nowadays wherever it may be.....

Just my 2p.

:thumb:thumb

Back
Top Bottom