'Red Blob'...

(RIP) MScotts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...That's what I called my previous VFRs back in the '90s (so imaginative). The 'tradition' now continues with this one :thumb

I gave this FV a cursory look over last Thursday on the way back from Oxford then went back for a closer inspection/ test ride earlier today....
SAM_1569.jpg

...as all went well, I brought it home a short while ago to keep the GS company :beerjug:
SAM_1581.jpg

Thanks Lars
Yep, it appears to be quite well looked after. The previous owner had it for 12 years so that and the s/h provide confidence in it; as does it going straight through the MOT yesterday and it being last serviced 80 miles ago!

Although there's farkles'a'plenty on it and the plastics are very good all-round I want to do a few jobs to get it the way I want. So I'll be poised ready to start when on 10-days Leave as-of next Friday...

1st job... Find a (UK) Honda forum out there which provides similar technical content to that of ukGSer for BWMs - Any reference most welcome folks :thumb

2nd job... Deep clean - Fairing and plastics, tank and other bits off to give it a 'reet good going over' under the skin with cleaning products and elbow grease'a' plenty.

3rd job... The temperature gauge needle sits quite low on the dial; unsure if that's 'normal' or it needs a new stat or some other investigation.

4th job... The only let-down cosmetically is the front forks. Fcuk knows why, but someone's brushed on grey/silver paint over the original finish. :eek That won't do; so whilst it's in bits the calipers are coming off with the wheel etc to give the forks a tart up. :D

5th job... Replace the stock screen with one of those double-bubble jobbers, not unlike the one fitted to markshelly's VFR (now owned by 'immigrant').

6th job... Put it back together (without having spare bolts, screws etc when completed) :blast :thumby:

Cheers in advance for any help! :beerjug:

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/

The above form site has always been a wealth of information for me. Having done 70 000 miles on a VFR750 as a work bike I got to know them well. We've got one at home now as stable mate to an early VFR800 pre v-tec

The fork legs are famous for shedding paint early, so an original finish is a rare sight. Only likely problem you'll get with this bike in good condition is the regulator/rectifier which was prone to failure with inexplicable flat batteries being the early sign. Good source of parts from David Silver Spares, with genuine parts usually at good prices too.

We fitted a stainless set of pipes matched to an original can to retain the looks and sound whilst ditching the commonly rotten pipes.

In my most humble opinion this model still cuts it well as a great all rounder. I get to ride quite a few new machines, but the smile always comes back when I climb aboard the VFR.

Enjoy the bike and the praise wherever you stop! :)

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/

The above form site has always been a wealth of information for me. Having done 70 000 miles on a VFR750 as a work bike I got to know them well. We've got one at home now as stable mate to an early VFR800 pre v-tec

The fork legs are famous for shedding paint early, so an original finish is a rare sight. Only likely problem you'll get with this bike in good condition is the regulator/rectifier which was prone to failure with inexplicable flat batteries being the early sign. Good source of parts from David Silver Spares, with genuine parts usually at good prices too.

We fitted a stainless set of pipes matched to an original can to retain the looks and sound whilst ditching the commonly rotten pipes.

In my most humble opinion this model still cuts it well as a great all rounder. I get to ride quite a few new machines, but the smile always comes back when I climb aboard the VFR.

Enjoy the bike and the praise wherever you stop! :)
Cheers for that brill head's-up :beerjug:

RE: the bit's I've put in bold form your post ^

1. I discovered the VFR section of the Oracle last night and have registered

2. It had an uprated Reg-Rect fitted a few years ago. I might get a spare and keep it under the seat (like many do); or, apparently there's an apparent 'fix' where you fit a PC fan to the heatsink, tapping the 12vDC from the indicator loom. Unsure how effective that one is though?

3. David Silver Spares - where's that company based?

4. I'm sure I was told that it's got a stainless system fitted from the headers to the can - I'll need to check the pile of receipts that came with all the paperwork. On inspection the exhaust system did look top-notch.

5. Agreed, it certainly put a smile on my face all the way home. A bit of a 'back to the future' moment as-per my 1st post ^^^, albeit I've not had the FV and do think it's the best looking one they did.

:thumby:

VFR 800

I have done the PC fan mod on my Viffer when I fitted a new rectifier a couple of years ago. Not had any trouble since. The VFR never ceases to bring a smile to my face when I open the throttle. Great bikes!

I have done the PC fan mod on my Viffer when I fitted a new rectifier a couple of years ago. Not had any trouble since. The VFR never ceases to bring a smile to my face when I open the throttle. Great bikes!
Good to know Chris, cheers :beerjug:

If you get the chance some pics and narrative of the PC fan install would come in handy; as would a pointer to a suitable fan :thumb

-Andy

I had two pre V-tec VFR's. (750's actually ... )

A really really lovely bike. Honda at it's best ...

Enjoy... :thumb2

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

See above for the link to David Silver Spares... Based in Suffolk :)
thanks for that; looks to be a Very handy supplier indeed :beerjug:
If I end up going to Sudbury in the near future I might swing by as it's not overly far from there...

I had two pre V-tec VFR's. (750's actually ... )

A really really lovely bike. Honda at it's best ...

Enjoy... :thumb2
Cheers Giles.
It's been a fair while since owning my previous ones (FL and FP), but this one's certainly on par with them; perhaps one day I'll try out the 800 FI and V-tec itterations too?

Fully agreed; the styling of Hondas in general was pretty spot-on back then. From that perspective I'm unsure if they, and the other Jap manufacturers, have lost their way a bit these days... :confused::nenau

Below are (crap) piccies of the first two of a few 'farkles' which arrived today :beerjug:

Rad guard:
IMG_0968.jpg

Dark tint double-bubble screen (staying in the cellophane for now):
IMG_0969.jpg

.........Oh, and a can of Gunk foam was bought for the deep-clean, starting tomorrow :thumby:
IMG_0970.jpg

Yesterday morning I had a wee look at them resting in the garage.... :kissy2
SAM_1692.jpg

....Then went back a short while later to find that the Red Blob was naked...!!! :boobies :eek:
SAM_1737.jpg

That was the start of a deep-clean and spruce-up job, which it needs to get shot of 15+ years of cack & grime underneath the plastics etc.

I took pics at each part of the dismantling process with a camera in a fixed position; allows for time-lapse of the above, and during the clean-up & tart-up, then the re-build. The intention is to have a time-lapse video (lasting only a few mins) which will show the whole process from start to finish; time permitting of course... :thumb

Cheers for that brill head's-up :beerjug:

RE: the bit's I've put in bold form your post ^

1. I discovered the VFR section of the Oracle last night and have registered

2. It had an uprated Reg-Rect fitted a few years ago. I might get a spare and keep it under the seat (like many do); or, apparently there's an apparent 'fix' where you fit a PC fan to the heatsink, tapping the 12vDC from the indicator loom. Unsure how effective that one is though?

3. David Silver Spares - where's that company based?

4. I'm sure I was told that it's got a stainless system fitted from the headers to the can - I'll need to check the pile of receipts that came with all the paperwork. On inspection the exhaust system did look top-notch.

5. Agreed, it certainly put a smile on my face all the way home. A bit of a 'back to the future' moment as-per my 1st post ^^^, albeit I've not had the FV and do think it's the best looking one they did.

:thumby:

This is the regulator to fit, they are easily available on ebay, some models of R1 had them fitted

FH012AA

make sure you get that one, as they are a few similar looking ones that have the code starting SH
this one is the one to get!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YZ...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac25840c2

this is how it is wired up, they are just large crimp connectors!

http://roadstercycle.com/Easy Mosfet Install.htm

This is the regulator to fit, they are easily available on ebay, some models of R1 had them fitted

FH012AA

make sure you get that one, as they are a few similar looking ones that have the code starting SH.............

this is how it is wired up, they are just large crimp connectors!.................
Cheers Ian :beerjug:

So, is this the standard Reg/Rect for the R1, or do owners of that bike often plump for an upgrade too?

Part Number Supersession

The Roadstercycle website says

FH012AA has been replaced with the FH020AA.
Yamaha #1D7-81960-00-00.

HTH

A

Great threads. Thanks for taking the trouble to take and post piccies. :beerjug:

Great threads. Thanks for taking the trouble to take and post piccies. :beerjug:

No probs :thumb
Hopefully the diary may help others regards areas of their VFR that they might want to attend to. Even better, perhaps it'll inspire others to do a diary type thread of their bike(s) progress, etc.

Regards the diary for this bike and the latest work tally... Today was the 'big push' and I managed to complete/ progress a good number of jobs on the 'to do' list. Nucking-fackered after about 10-hrs on-and-off as the bulk of the work was cleaning, de-greasing, sanding and other prep; then masking, etch-priming etc; the spraying was the easy bit...

- Radiator, sprayed
- Rocker cover (front bank), sprayed
- Cush-drive cover, sprayed
- Engine casings, sprayed
- Mirror casings, sprayed

Pics etc will be posted in the diary tomorrow morn :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom