Final Drive Failure and Drive Shaft?

Mike is on hols at the moment - anyone had one done recently an know what the price was??

Got hold of Mike - gonna get him to do it, even replied to my txt whilst on holiday!

Was just looking over the parts fiche as I noticed a part on the drive shaft "snap ring" - I don't have these (or at least I think I don't?) - are they mega important...?

26 11 8 527 718 SNAP RING - 22X2,5MM

I thought there was only one - at the gearbox end?

My original 2007 shaft only had one as does the replacement.

Just been out to take a look and there is one in the gearbox end, stuck in the drive shaft...

On another note, the FD arrive back today from Mike - it looks bloomin spotless!! Can't wait to get it fitted :)

Just been out to take a look and there is one in the gearbox end, stuck in the drive shaft...

On another note, the FD arrive back today from Mike - it looks bloomin spotless!! Can't wait to get it fitted :)

So, How's it running?
\v/

Was going well, but...

So after having my FD rebuilt it transpires that my shaft is on its way out now...horrible rattling metal sound when spinning the wheel, even felt noticeable drag this morning riding the bike :-(

So what are my options apart from new shaft? Is there anyone in the UK that re-conditions the shafts?

Hey Roundy mate.

I would not ride th bike with a dodgy drifshaft. They have been known to cause an awful lot of damage when they let go.

There is a good breakers in Southampton that breaks RTs amongst others.
info@motofix-spares.co.uk
Motofix Spares Limited
Chris Ridgway
Motofix Spares Limited
11-13 Tannersbrook Way
Southampton, Hampshire SO15 0JY

Or try maybe Motorworks, James Sherlock or the like for a used one?
\v/

Have secured a 2007 shaft from a 15K authorities bike at Motofix..

Will get the bike recovered from work tonight...

So my woes continue :)

Replaced the drive shaft over a couple of days thinking this was what the horrible noise was and rode to Dartmoor over the weekend. Bike felt awful, really "bogged down" almost and vibes like hell. On the way back I give the rear wheel a rotate and the horrible graunching noise! Decided to ride a stretch home with no ear plugs so I could hear what was going on, horrible growl/bearing type whine whilst riding. Got the bike back and what I've found tonight is;

With the engine off and the bike in neutral the horrible noise is there when rotating the wheel and the rotation of the wheel is lumpy (if you know what i mean). Pop the bike into a gear with the clutch in and you can hear horrible noises from the gear box, but a lot quieter than when in neutral.

I don't really have a clue where to go with this now, but depressed about it is an understatement!

Had the gearbox rebuilt by Motoscot but now for some reason the bike is unrideable through vibration, almost feels like rotational imbalance, crazy vibes like can't ride it amount. Have replaced the two stick coils, fitted new plugs and balanced everything up to ensure it's not related to that but no joy.

The bike has gone back in for some further look see - fingers crossed it's something blindingy obvious.

At the moment I am running the idea that its engine rotational in-balance that is causing the major vibration so, whilst travelling at approx 80mph I hit the engine kill switch, still in gear. Effectively I've now taken air, fuel, spark out of the equation and I am just turning the engine under the power of the drive train and it was still vibrating like hell, don't think it can be drive shaft or FD as with the clutch in and revving the engine (whilst travelling) it still vibes like hell.

On the flip side I was talking to Steve about my 1150R and the thread in the swingarm being knackerd where the paralever bearing pivot goes "it's a really un-usual tap I need to clean the thread" I said - "what, one like this?" said Steve - he lent it to me! How cool is that, super chuffed :-D

That's bad something is out of balance. Do you get it coasting at speed with the clutch in and engine off?
Are you sure you put in the 2 locating dowels between the engine and gearbox?

Does anyone know if the compensating shaft balance weight is keyed? Been looking at the parts fiche and it just looks "splined" ? Are there marks on it to ensure proper clocking?

Does anyone know if the compensating shaft balance weight is keyed? Been looking at the parts fiche and it just looks "splined" ? Are there marks on it to ensure proper clocking?
there are timing marks on the gears behind the front case,cant see that they would have moved though.unless the front case has been removed at some point.
:confused:

Back
Top Bottom