Oop North

2 wheel humvee

www.humvee-graphics.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I started the journey North from sunny South Wales on Thursday with Gerry H who was on his little Bonnie

019-L.jpg

Leaving sunny Wales behind :augie our route was cross country avoiding motorways and taking in as many National Parks as possible, we travelled through the peak district but didn't take any pics because it was raining-a f...ing lot, oh wait......I took this one
"take the road over Strine Moor" said JB "it's a cracker" it was :thumby:
001-L.jpg

We stopped at a B&B in Masham, not advertised as "biker friendly" mate, but they are indeed very friendly and hospitable, they serve a fine breakfast and the house is steeped in history, they even let us put our soggy bikes in the garage and former home of the villages horse drawn fire appliance, how much more biker friendly can you get :rolleyes:

041-L.jpg

Small (only 1 x double & 1 x twin room) biker friendly and biker safe, recommended :thumby:
039-L.jpg

Contact details for Tripadvisor Award winning Milgate B&B Masham;
http://www.millgate-masham.co.uk/

We met JB for a bite to eat in a local hostelry Thursday evening and JB returned again Friday morning-this time on his bike, he led us along some his favourite routes through the Yorkshire Dales National Park and beyond, the roads were blissfully quiet save for the odd gathering of Tetley Tea Folk and groups of whippets.....there were many places ending with "dale" and some that didn't.....

050-L.jpg

002-L.jpg

The road from Hawes is apparently a favourite of one Jeremy Clarkson a local informed us, and a cracker it is too :thumby:
010-L.jpg

011-L.jpg

It's fair to say it was a bit damp for most of the day but the roads were quiet :comfort
005-L.jpg

007-L.jpg

008-L.jpg

The rain eased and in case we might be missing the water JB had thoughtfully included a ford on the route
IMG_0454-L.jpg

Which Gerry and I tackled but he and his iconic Adventure bike avoided........:blast
:D

Located in the Cumbria National Park we arrived at Belligham, home of the UKGSer Borders Bash
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=524

We had booked bunkhouse accommodation which is among the very best i have experienced, it's clean, modern and well equipped and can be seen in the background, not to be confused with the chicken shed full of hay (which might have proved a quieter place to sleep on Saturday night :blagblah :blagblah :D )

054-L.jpg

Lots of Tossers were in evidence and a variety of transport and accommodation solutions were to be found....

059-L.jpg

060-L.jpg

The Cheviot Hotel provided generous portions of good food for breakfast and evening dinner, Whale and Chips anyone?
smugshot_6818923-L.jpg

As well as FREE Wi-Fi :augie

smugshot_4557795-L.jpg

smugshot_1055866-L.jpg

http://www.thecheviothotel.co.uk/

:JB :JB

On Saturday we tagged onto a great ride out group led by Fran to Berwick upon Tweed :flag via Kielder and Kelso, Gerry, JB and myself had planned to visit Scotland after the event, this was as far North as we got :comfort

017-L.jpg

Gerry and I split from the group and followed the coast road past Holy Island :blast to Alnwick where we happened upon.....Ash, what is it with truck drivers and lay by's :augie

Ash aboard his new steed, Alnwick castle in the background, pic complete with dozy pensioner wandering into shot :rob
018-L.jpg

Gerry and I stopped for Lunch at The White Swan Hotel in Alnwick whose Olympic lounge features wood panelling, chandeliers, stained glass and fireplace from the scrapped S.S. Olympic, sister ship to the ill fated Titanic.
023-L.jpg

A personal "tick in the box" for me ;)

Our plan had been to leave on Sunday and head for the West coast of Scotland for 2 nights, however, being Southern Softies and taking heed of the storms forecast we decided to postpone this visit and try again at a later date-which means I'll have to come back :clap

Gerry and I again followed JB's advice and included in our route to a re-scheduled overnight stop in the lake district a route across Alston Moor and Hartside Top, outstanding :clap

We arrived at the Lake District about 10 minutes before the rain :Motomartin
037-L.jpg

Thanks to; all who organised and attended the Border raiders bash especially Colin and Mort, not forgetting JB for his encyclopedic road knowledge :bow
Here's to the next one :beerjug:

Nice report.:thumb I've made a note of some of the roads, and WILL be going up in the summer.:beerjug::JB

Excellent write-up....:thumb2

Should have gone East....Factor 50-ish needed for the last couple of days...:D

We're off to Skye tomorrow, in the car, forecast still shyte over there....:blast :D

Great write up.

If you're up this way again let me know & I'll give you some routes or if possible have a run out with you

no mention of gerry's jacket failing???

i've never been anywhere with him where his clothing has remained intact throughout :p

T'was good to meet up with ya :thumby:

:beerjug:

Likewise :thumb

Nice report.:thumb I've made a note of some of the roads, and WILL be going up in the summer.:beerjug::JB

It was a great route, drop me a line if you want mapsource files :thumb

I like that sentence:thumb

Good to meet up and ride the bikes again..............roll on Sept:bounce1

You're welcome, September it's the new summer :Motomartin

Excellent write-up....:thumb2

Should have gone East....Factor 50-ish needed for the last couple of days...:D

We're off to Skye tomorrow, in the car, forecast still shyte over there....:blast :D

Enjoy, I think we made the right call but I have "unfinished business" ;)

Great write up.

If you're up this way again let me know & I'll give you some routes or if possible have a run out with you

Hopefully when not if, will do ;)

no mention of gerry's jacket failing???

i've never been anywhere with him where his clothing has remained intact throughout :p

Must be a first :eek

You two did well to miss the rain: Hartside was appalling when Rushy and I were there. Did you see the snowy patches?

Saturday night was NOT my fault this time, thankfully. ;)

Cracking piccy's and report Steve.
Many years since i pulled up in a truck in a lay by :(
twas a super week end with great company ........................ :beerjug:

Good write up but one tiny mistake

" Located in the Cumbria National Park we arrived at Belligham, home of the UKGSer Borders Bash"

Bellingham is in the Northumberland National Park. I'm Northumbrian and we're at least 30 miles west of Cumbria.

:rob

" Located in the Cumbria National Park we arrived at Belligham, home of the UKGSer Borders Bash"

Bellingham is in the Northumberland National Park. I'm Northumbrian and we're at least 30 miles west of Cumbria.

Good point with two small mistakes ;)

Gilsland is 27.6 miles from Bellingham

Northumberland is East of Cumbria

You two did well to miss the rain: Hartside was appalling when Rushy and I were there. Did you see the snowy patches?

Saturday night was NOT my fault this time, thankfully. ;)

Hard to believe there was some rain that missed us:eek
We did see snow on the tops but it didn't look fresh, was it?

Cracking piccy's and report Steve.
Many years since i pulled up in a truck in a lay by :(
twas a super week end with great company ........................ :beerjug:
Agreed:beerjug:

Good point with two small mistakes ;)

Gilsland is 27.6 miles from Bellingham

Northumberland is East of Cumbria

I blame my sat nav it must've got damp ;)

Back
Top Bottom