1100 Exhaust Mod

JimGS

Hi i am new to this forum. I have been reading stuff off here and its been very useful, thanks.

I have just bought an 1100gs that was imported new back in 1997 by the owner himself from germany. Its in fantastic condition (9000 miles) and i'm really pleased. I used to own a 1150GS in blue and white, it was a fantastic bike but i did a really silly thing one day and sold it having done 10,000 miles in less than a year. The most i've done on a bike, anyway i am back with a GS and happy again. I think the noticable differences between the two are the E gear on the 1150 and the better quality finish on the forks of the 1100.

Anyway my GS life story over (yawn) can anyone help. Having had a remus system on my 1150 i went for a budget aftermarket exhaust for the 1100. It is very loud and much better than the stock pipe and cat. I never really bothered about the 1150, but having removed the plugs before and after fitting this pipe i have noticed that it is running leaner than before. Has anyone else found this and what is the solution? Mine is the model with the same exhaust sensor as the 1150 so i assumed that it would adjust the mixture itself, having said that i never checked on the 1150 so that may have been doing the same.

I have noticed that Power Commander are producing for BMW in 2005, does anyone have any comments to make about fitting one of them. What about fitting a chip - how do you know that it has sorted the mixture problem? Please help. Thanks.

Welcome back Jim,
I had a Lazer race exhaust fitted beautiful note of it and a lot lighter than the stock exhaust but me fuel consumption went up, I now have a Remus Viper fitted which is excellent, try putting and ad in the forsale and wanted forum and Im sure you'll find one.
good luck

Thanks, am i not sure i want to sell it just yet. I'll be keeping an eye on it because i don't want a holed piston!

One more question that perhaps someone can help with. What alloy wheels fit directly on to an 1100gs? And where is the best place to pick them up.

Cheers.

Jim hello. Not related to the exhaust, but I am interested in how you inported your GS into Blighty. I am in the Army over here in Germany and have a 1997 1100GS that I will be bringing home with me. I have heard all sorts of stories about inspections etc, even DVLA were a little uncertain. The problem I have is that I do not have a certificate of conformity. Any advice would be appreciated.

Get down to your Beemer dealer and ask them to get you a certificate of conformity. They should be able to do this for a nominal fee just using your VIN number. Importing into the UK without this will be expensive and toublesome.
If you have owned it for more than 6 months then it's a relatively low cost exercise and you just need to register it. If less than 6 months you must either prove (by way of dealer invoice) that you have paid German VAT or be prepared to pay UK vat before you will be allowed to register it in the UK.

Good Luck

My local dealer (German) is not as helpful as he perhaps be. I have tried this line of getting a CoC and he told me that it was not possible as the bike was made in 1997, which was before the need for CoC.

Hi sorry i have not logged on for a while.

I did not import my bike, the bloke i bought it from did back in 1997. I did look into imports because i saw a cheap 1150 in Germany on E-bay.

As you know you do need a COC but you can submit your bike for a more expensive test as you would say for things like kit cars and trike's. The most important bit being that you can prove it age otherwise it will go on to a dreaded Q plate. I forget what the test is called but if you look at sites on the net such as VOSA and DVLA they have most of the answers. I even rang a few of their help lines and they were very helpful.

Gook Luck - mine is a beauty!!

Back
Top Bottom