Wee-strom front suspension WTF !!

kirky1298

Reaction score
Hi , I bought an 11 plate V-strom last week and have put 1000mls on it over the last 4 days . The bike is an absolute pleasure to ride , apart from 1 thing , the front forks. I just can't seem to get the suspension dialed in right and it feels very uneasy on the front end. To me it feels like it is under sprung but the compression damping feels too harsh ( don't know if that's even possible :nenau )
It seems to dive under moderate to hard braking but when you hit bumps or holes it rattles the fillings out your head like it's far to hard on the compression damping .
Does that even make sense ?? :D:D
Anyway , just wondering if anyone else has experienced this as it feels a wee bit dicey , particularly when cornering on a rough surface and it starts skipping the front end from under you .
Has anyone got a cheap fix for this problem ?? or am I just spoiled with the BMW Telelever setup??
Thanks in advance , Jok :beerjug:

Cheap forks - under sprung, poorly damped and stiction. That all sounds about right. Time for a trip to Maxton, maybe....? :nenau

It's the one complaint i've heard from Strom riders.
Seems "they all do that sir". :(
Got to be a cure though - the answer must be out there :nenau
... it'll be like asking "What oil" on a Strom forum. :D :blast

Seriously though - Good Luck with it. :thumb2

Well , I spent some time setting up the suspension front and back , getting the sag measurements the same by tweaking the preload. feels like the back and front are working more closely together now . Although compression damping is still too firm on the front it is a lot more settled through bumpy corners . I'll give that a go before throwing my hard earned at it, although I have to agree, it feels like poor quality suspension components are letting an otherwise cracking bike down. :beerjug:

Have you done this ?? Just the springs ?? wot bout a different grade of oil ?? or a re-valve ?? . :beerjug::beerjug:

I have a mate who just did the spring upgrade on his and it worked well. Thinking of doing the same on my CT as it suffers the same ailment.

Hyper pro springs are the answer. :thumb2

Have these on my 1000 Strom... They had a similar issue and the set up now is firm and pretty sporty for a forked "Adventure":)D) bike... After that it is down to playing with different grades of oil to get the compression/rebound something like...

PS Yes you were spoilt by the Telelever set up...;)

Hagon sell you the oil with the springs as a kit. I think it's 7.5w but not sure. The thing with the GS front end is there's no feedback so it's always "feels" ok so when you get back on normal tele forks they feel uneasy. You'll love the Hagons.

if you go to maxtons site and fill in the request form they will send you a spec sheet detailing what is wrong and what they would do to fix it,even if you dont get the work done by them at least you will know whats wrong and what direction to go with adjustments and/or alterations

Give MCT a call, they can sort them out :thumb

The Mrs bought one a while back as a first bike, if she likes it enough we will probably swap it for a newer one next year and get the suspendies sorted.

Surprisingly good bike to ride, pity she won't let me commute on it :mad:

www.vstrom.co.uk for all you ever need to know

Back
Top Bottom