Moto Guzzi museum

yes, been several times.

well worth the time to visit IMO. museum is interesting and the location (Mandello/lake como) is lovely.

factory tours are only an option during the annual(?) GMG rally AFAIK.

Been twice,make sure it's open, b4 you go ;)
Well worth a visit.

Don't go in July, shut for holidays, and even when open, visiting hours very restricted, 3 or 4 in the afternoon(I think).

yes, been several times.

well worth the time to visit IMO. museum is interesting and the location (Mandello/lake como) is lovely.

factory tours are only an option during the annual(?) GMG rally AFAIK.

My understanding too re a full factory visit.

Still well worth visiting the museum for all the reasons Cookie gives. There's also a good Guzzi dealer in Mandelo for parts/bling (the name escapes me right now but it's very close to the factory).

Limited opening hours for the museum, details HERE.

Go for it, you won't be disapointed :)

Andres

dealer is called Agostini's + there's at least one other, smaller dealer too.

ferries criss cross lake como and are often preferable to the traffic around the circumference, especially in the town of como itself.

bellagio's nice :)

Yes, having been disappointed once when I dropped in while passing Mandello (about 12 years ago), I made sure I was there for the 15:00-16:00 window (probably about 6 years or so ago).

It's very good and there are some great bikes there. During my visit (from dead on 15:00 to about 16:30 if I recall, no-one seemed worried about closing up) the only other people there were a Dutch couple. An elderly gent who was doing some cleaning took it on himself to show me the star exhibits which was kind, although there was something of a language barrier. I've learned a bit more Italian since then, mainly from instruction manuals.

I went a couple of years ago and it was just my family and another couple of blokes.
A very atmospheric place.

Yes, having been disappointed once when I dropped in while passing Mandello (about 12 years ago), I made sure I was there for the 15:00-16:00 window (probably about 6 years or so ago).

It's very good and there are some great bikes there. During my visit (from dead on 15:00 to about 16:30 if I recall, no-one seemed worried about closing up) the only other people there were a Dutch couple. An elderly gent who was doing some cleaning took it on himself to show me the star exhibits which was kind, although there was something of a language barrier. I've learned a bit more Italian since then, mainly from instruction manuals.

i'm not sure if you went to the old museum which was certainly only open for a short window. a man would meet you at the door and lead you through old wood panelled rooms to a pokey little museum. you'd look around for a bit then get kicked out.

then they moved the museum to a more modern (relatively :) )part of the factory, and i assumed it was open on a more regular basis. i may well have assumed wrongly, so just wondering really.

When I was there the museum was through the huge main sliding door, along the narrow access road a short distance, then turn left and up some stairs. It was on two levels I think, with a small merchandise shop at ground level also.

That's the new museum then. How very Italian to only open for a couple of hours a day :)

And obviously closed for the whole of August too, along with the rest of the country.

i may well have assumed wrongly, so just wondering really.

Yes, as per MarkShelley's experience, cookie, I think it must have been the new museum. Of course, it could be that the time I didn't get in (about 12 years ago), it was still the old museum.

Here you go right across the road

Attachments

• guzzi.jpg
    guzzi.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 88
Just make sure you get there before it opens to get the iconic photo of the bike in front of the main gates, in my case we didn't bother as we were stopping in the village and as it was 37 degrees in the shade so the bike was in the hotels secure underground car park and we were in shorts and t shirts rather than bike gear.

Very atmospheric museum and decent way to fill in a couple of hours

Back
Top Bottom