What is regarded as high mileage?

I'm new to the GS . had mine a year now and very happy with the decision. When I was looking I stayed clear of those with very low mileage (machines need to be used, they deteriorate without it) and any with moderate high millage (simply because the things which need servicing are getting closer, approximately speaking) so in the end I was looking for bikes around 35k to 75k because I plan to keep it for some years. There seem to be lots out there so after millage you need to make a judgement based on condition, service history and how it actually sounds.

I also had an Africa Twin many moons ago but getting on one of these bikes will take some adjustments from your side. The noises they make are mighty disconcerting after riding a Jap bike! :D

From what I know the clutch is probably the most expensive 'serviceable' part that you want to avoid.

If you can get someone who knows the bikes to look with you that would be ideal.

Good luck. It's no accident people love these bikes! and that's long before Ewan and Charlie came along!

ps. if you finally get yourself a GS this forum is a superb resource for all kinds of advice not to mention a few laughs along the way :D

Back
Top Bottom